USAA - Pre approval mortgage gone awry

I was pre-approved for a mortgage with USAA. The home was a new construction. I thought this would be a seamless process as I've had hundreds of thousands of dollars in my USAA accounts over the years and my credit score was pretty good. Upon the loan being reviewed by the processor, the criteria to close the loan arbitrarily changed. Initially, I was supposed to bring around 7k to closing within weeks I was told I needed to bring 30K to closing. Often, my phone calls and emails were not returned. The closing date was moved repeatedly, without notice or otherwise. I found out the closing date changed when I called to inquire on the status of my loan. I would not recommend using USAA mortgage services. Disappointed.

I recently had the same experience too. Loan was denied 3 or 4 days after our closing date.

They kept needing documentation after documentation, often the same documents over and over. Communication was horrible as you stated. Not once did my process ever answer his phone. Direct to voice mail every time.

Callbacks were late and emails were rarely returned. My real estage agent with 31 years in the business said USAA was the worst company he has worked with ever.

Left two negative reviews and they were never posted on their website. A positive is they did refund my loan fees after I told them I closed with another company.

We are set to "close" in two days, and we have had nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but trouble from our USAA loan processor. She is unorganized, trying to get everything done in the last week when we gave her all the paperwork 2 months ago.

So much unnecessary stress when it's all right in front of your face. At one point she even asked us WHEN the closing date was ... umm, have we not been working on this together for 2+ months?! Really with that.

Don't bother leaving voicemails, and don't expect a returned e-mail. Your best bet is calling the USAA hotline and speaking to some random OTHER person who can give you more information about the state of your loan than the person specifically assigned to the file. On top of that, add the fact that we had to prove we were entitled to BAH once stateside (we are overseas right now) ... but we weren't told this by our loan processor.

Instead, she said "you don't qualify" - what do you mean we don't qualify?!? We have great credit, money in the bank, two full time salaries, pre-approved for 3 months, etc. We have to call 3 other people to finally find the problem... our loan processor (they don't call them officers at USAA) didn't add the BAH to our income or even THINK about that entitlement.

Instead, the customer means so little that it's easier to just say "sorry, you're not approved" ... oh wait, there was no sorry.

At this point, we just want the deal closed and done with. But to anybody even thinking about USAA in terms of mortgages, please just stay away and find a local company that understands the needs of your specific state and whom you can rely on to return your calls.

We had very similar expreinece as you, deny our pre approval mortgage at last minute, calls and emails were not never returned, the member relationship team was a piece of juck, please learn from our pain, never never nerver use USAA mortgage services, USAA mortgage services should by closed, otherwise, there will be more USAA members like us get hurts.

View more comments (2)