USAA refused my claim and called me a liar

I was a "member" of USAA for 40 years for both homeowners and auto insurance. I had few claims and was never delinquent on my premiums. The diamond in my wife's wedding ring was insured as a high-quality gem (I have the gemologist's report). It received a sharp blow and was damaged. Upon regrading, it was valued much less than before the accident. USAA said it could not happen. I sued. I lost. I quit USAA. I am now with Amica for auto insurance. Premiums are lower, the people are nicer, and USAA had to send me $10,000 that they had been squirreling away all those years. I wonder how they get away with those tear-jerking commercials that scam veterans and armed forces members into "joining," as if were a privilege. I recommend that any veteran in my generation (age 65) change auto insurance carriers. Get the benefits that I did without the two-year-long hassle with them.

what type of coverage did you have on the ring? basic homeowners insurance would not be adequate if the ring was as valuable as you claim. Read your policy, it will let you know the limits of coverage for valuables.

:) I too am a 40+ yr subscriber to both homeowners and auto insurance with USAA and have had nothing but A+ treatment from them across all the years, most recently in 2010 when we had a hot water heating pipe burst in our basement family room, basically destroying the entire floor. Our claims adjuster at USAA was excellent, although a little slow at times, and within 6 months we had received full compensation for all expenses we incurred and all of the items that were destroyed .

Great service - I'm disappointed to hear that some policyholders have had a bad time with USAA. Not me!!

I had heard of this company before but did not investigate. Was initially interested as I am a vet.

After reading from this site it appears it's just like most, just take the money and give little to nothing in return as possible. I don't really need to change what I have now so USAA is as far as I'm concerned not going to get a dime of my money.

Guess those ex-service guys who supposedly started USAA should have got Dishonorable Discharges judging by what I have read here! Worthless trash.

View more comments (2)