Department Of Social Services - State of Connecticut – Head Games
Why is Department of Social Services threatening their Clients with lies? My name is Craig Sears and I am a survivor of a Traumatic Brain Injury TBI. The US says we have rights; but the State's trample all over them as if they are immune to our constitutional rights. Here is an example of how the Department of Social Services DSS tries to pull one over on us. I've been a participant in the Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver Program for several years in Connecticut every year around June or July I have an Annual Review! State Team Meeting to reevaluate me to see if I'm disabled ha-ha like it is going to go away, and this year was no different. Like they have done every year, they try to take my services away from me by cutting my hours or try to remove me from the program all together. As well as threatening me and saying I am not compliant with the program because I do not allow them into my residence, every year after the meeting DSS has me sign a blank waiver agreement page without a completed service plan. It's like they want complete control. I had to have the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities at my team meeting like I have had to do in the past years, because my services are always being threatened. Not many survivors or anyone for that matter will stand up to them and voice their opinion. Me on the other hand, if I can help myself and be a voice for myself then being able to help others fight through some of their own difficulties with some of the same issues then it's worth it. I won't let the state harass me and mess up or take away my services; I wouldn't want other survivors to go through the same issues, if not more. 1. The ABI Waiver program is a federal program. The states are program providers for the government. Most requirements the state try to impose on us are not mandated in the plan. When it's brought to light they do their best to justify it. 2. When I hire any of my program providers, I explain to them I must be notified on everything and anything concerning my case, right down to an email sent out. I must be notified with everything that goes on with my whole entire case/program staff etc, because I know how the state likes to twist our words around and use our doctors against us. Been there down that! I refuse to play these head games with the state! If the program providers don't agree with it they are off my team! "¢ Sec. 17b-260a-1I, Individuals who are eligible for ABI services shall be given free choice of all qualified providers of each service included in his or her plan of care. "¢ Sec. 17b-260a-1J7 states that it is the responsibility of the Department to pay for approved ABI waiver services delivered by qualified providers through its fiduciary agent on behalf of the individual. A month before my team meeting I received a call from my ABI Medicaid Waiver doctor, (who had previously received a call from J.D @ Bridgeport DSS who mind you is a supervisor. explaining to me my services were going to be lowered, and that DSS was going to try and use my program against me; all because I will "˜NOT' allow them into my apt/home. o While the Department may argue that a review of my' service plan is necessary, additional evaluations are requested, it cannot hold his/her services in suspense while these decisions are made by my team. I have a current Department approved ABI Waiver service plan. The Department has a responsibility and obligations to provide me with these services until such time as any changes are made to my plan. "¢ Sec. 17b-260a-1J2c Responsibilities of the Department, The Department shall assign social work staff to execute the following ABI responsibilities: implement the approved service plan and coordinate services provided to the individual under the waiver. Furthermore, the Department has overstepped its authority; it is the interdisciplinary team that makes determinations about the service plan. This was done without an ABI Waiver team meeting, and in absence of me, my appointed advocate, and a neuropsychologist familiar with me. "¢ Sec. 17b-260a-1G4 the service plan shall be developed by an interdisciplinary team that includes the individual, his or her conservator, if any, the Department social worker assigned to coordinate the individual's service plan, a neuropsychologist who is familiar with the individual, other clinical staff as needed, and any other person(s) of the individual's choice. o I knew it was false because I have been a participant in the Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Waiver Program for several years in Connecticut and I have never had anyone from DSS come into my home and do a visit. Below is an example of how they try and pull one over on us. This is an email from my ABI waiver doctor to me. Hi Craig You are correct...clients on the ABI Waiver are not required to allow DSS to do home visits. If the client refuses a home visit that's fine. There are no consequences for not allowing a home visit. Dr. T. M. A., PhD., M. S., MBA 1. DSS has me sign a blank waiver agreement page without a completed service plan. This is an email from my ABI waiver doctor to my Human Services Advocate at the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities and me. Hi Jessica, Would you note that the DSS supervisors asked CS to sign a blank waiver agreement page without a completed service plan? They requested that yesterday and I didn't say anything because I want to document this practice. One, it's unethical. Especially when the worker has threatened to unilaterally change the plan without client involvement. Two, DSS is billing clients for a co pay that is not documented in the plan. They are saying that clients sign off and understand the terms but they don't review the document. Please note this in your records from yesterday's meeting if you saw what I saw. Dr. T. M. A., PhD., M. S., MBA "¢ This is why it is so important to be knowledgeable on the laws that are put in place to protect TBI survivors.

I feel for you deeply and people like that do this because their social workers and social workers are LICE.

What are you trying to hide in your house?Are you growing something not legal?Are you in a dangerous hording situation?What are you trying to hide?

@mi

mi - Sounds to me like you need your head examined

@mi

mi Look down at the reply I just left Linda

You have a lot of time on your hand's.If these people take your income,I can understand.You fault everyone for your problem's.When really you are the problem.If you do not follow simple Rule's'Then you need to be cut off.Let the people do their Job and Stop trying to do it for them.To bad their is nothing wrong with your Big Mouth.

@Linda

Linda I have two words for you *** YOU

@Linda

I agree with anonymous. If you can't see that I am trying to help people with disabilities Linda go *** yourself

@Craig S Pnv

To Craig , good sir I empathize with you and I am disgusted by the replies to your statements , the people that posted them deserve neither the rights nor privileges our forefathers fought and died to protect and they are the real problem with America today . I wish you well in your struggles and triumphs and for your relentless pursuit of human decency we are all in your debt .

View more comments (7)
ID
Spring Valley, New York

Survivor Of Traumatic Brain Injury - I need your HELP with raising awareness about traumatic brain injuries

Update by user Apr 15, 2011

Now can you see why I\'m incredibly f---in pissed off? In an effort to advocate for myself and all those individuals who are supposed to be protected by the established legislation which is found within the Medicaid Waiver?

I have made Waiver Provider complaints with the State of Connecticut; Dept of Social Services, Allied Community Resources, CT Governors office, Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, regarding Employment Options LLC unethical and illegal treatment of me. And got no help whatsoever they did nothing about this so I am.

You might not agree with my view of fighting back. But you know what they say, what goes around comes around I\'m giving them what they gave to me when they slandered my name!

Original review posted by user Apr 13, 2011
Welcome to my thoughts…. I am allowed to do that here in the US, so why not take advantage of it. I should celebrate my independence every day of the year because I can. As a brain injury survivor, I know first hand how awful it is to have lost my independence... The State of Connecticut; Dept of Social Services DSS, Allied Community Resources did nothing about so I am. About me. My name is Craig Sears; I am a survivor of Traumatic Brain Injury Due to my injury I have memory problems, speech problems, balance issues and many other things. I am disabled because of this and receive services from the state which enable me to remain in the community instead of in a nursing home, in prison or on the streets. I'm posting online some of my experiences as a survivor of a TBI. It is to show the way the United States is not dealing with brain injury and the human cost associated with this neglect trying to help myself and the children of tomorrow from ever having to experience this horror and heartache of TBI by using my case as an example to show how brain injury is being discriminated against, taking advantage of and ignored by the US States. And how easy it is for program providers to do the same thing to brain injury survivors like the State of Connecticut; Dept of Social Services and Employment Options LLC ABI Medicaid Waiver Program providers did to me. Traumatic Brain Injury TBI is the # 1 leading causes of death and disability among children and young adults in this country. I am advocating making people more aware of the National Pediatric Acquired Brain Injury Plan PABI Plan which develops a seamless, standardized, evidence-based system of care that is universally accessible for the millions of PABI families wherever they live in America. In the 90s I became a spokesman for the Brain Injury Association of Connecticut, advocating for Connecticut's Acquired Brain Injury Medicaid Waiver implemented in 1999. This waiver allows the state to permit organizations to provide non-medical services to people with TBI enabling them to live in the community outside of nursing homes and institutions. Employment Options LLC 91 Willenbrock Road, Oxford, CT is? I know what they say they are but I'm still not entirely sure what it is they actually do for brain injury survivors since I experienced no help whatsoever except for a lot of BS! EO has contracts and/or services Bureau of Rehabilitation services, the acquired brain wavier, DDS, and a variety of school system. Staff superiors at Employment Options LLC Jamie Arber, Patty Happy, Case manager Richard Kiley told me, Craig Sears; that EO had someone to work with me that was ILST approved turns out they were not! And when that person moved on, EO told me that they had someone else that was ILST approved, turns out they were not! Then when asked by my doctor about it, again EO stated that they had someone else that was ILST approved turns out they were also not! Do you see the pattern here? EO reported to the Dept. of Social Services that they were providing me services, but I did not receive the services EO had committed to provide me. For which they were compensated for providing me through a program known as the Dept. of Social Services ABI Medicaid Waiver. EO sent unqualified individuals to provide me independent living skills training for which they were not qualified because they lacked the appropriate certification. On top of that, staff working with me was instructed by Employment Options management to refrain from providing me any services pertaining to my state waiver case. See link below for the actual letter from EO staff. I informed my Medicaid Waiver Doctor about the fact I was not receiving services outlined in my State waiver plan that Employment Options LLC reported providing me. When my doctor and the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities confronted EO about these facts, they then made unreasonable confrontational and defamation of character accusations regarding me working with female staff, and implied I had acted inappropriately. Reporting this as the reason why I was not receiving services; when I found this out at my Dept. of Social Services team meeting. I immediately asked my doctor to look into this B.S. Yes, my brain still works. It's just injured; it's not dead! Out of respect of the doctor's wishes I am only posting his first name. And I quote Hi Craig You are correct. Shannon denies every accusation made by Employment Options LLC. Wow! Doctor Tariq, PhD., M.S., MBA See letter below for more proven facts of the false accusations. Traumatic brain injury TBI is a major health problem that disproportionately affects young people. It is the leading cause of death for children. TBI is often referred to as the silent epidemic because the complications, such as changes affecting thinking, language or emotions, may not be readily apparent The silent epidemic slogan is particularly apt in Connecticut, where inadequate resources, awareness and identification of TBI lead to preventable injury and suffering to children and their families. After going over the facts about Employment Options LLC is this the kind of service provider you want caring for our kids/friends/loved ones? Think about what it could do to a man or women with a disability, who has a child. They can be held liable for these false accusations, made by a Personal Care Aides/Medicaid Waiver Program provider if anything occurs. (I feel threatened by this). Is this really the way to assists people with disabilities that puts their trust into their State Medicaid Waiver Program providers? Let your voices be heard loud and clear! Call The Department of Social Services asked them to investigate Employment Options LLC an allied community resource approved ABI Medicaid Waiver Program Provider for the acquired brain wavier. I can only imagine how they are slandering other brain injury survivors to get out of providing services and getting paid by the state for not providing services! Below is the actual letter from my doctor stating the proven facts of the accusations that were made against me by Dr Tariq, PhD., M.S., MBA my ABI Waiver Provider Doctor. NeuroStrategies, Inc. neurostrategies@***.net RE: Shannon and Employment Options LLC Attention: Craig Sears I am writing to memorialize my conversation with Shannon on today. The purpose of my conversation with Shannon was to ascertain, as you requested, Shannon's position on her removal from your case by her superiors at Employment Options LLC 91Willenbrock Road Oxford CT 06478 I informed Shannon that both Jamie Arber and Patty Happy had conversations with me regarding her Shannon safety. Jamie Arber and Patty Happy indicated that she Shannon was uncomfortable working with you Craig. Jamie and Patty further related to me that Shannon had requested a change in placement, as she felt uncomfortable working with you. Jamie further stated that he would not place Shannon in a situation where she was uncomfortable and or vulnerable. Finally, he stated that Shannon had been hired for a different position and she was only a temporary solution until permanent staff could be hired. Shannon vehemently denies that there was ever any behavioral and or sexually inappropriate behavior on your part in any way during her tenure with you. She did not hesitate or waiver when she stated that she never felt at-risk while working with you, she never requested a change in placement, there were no accusations leveled by her against you to her superiors, there were no incidents of inappropriate behavior on your part nor any attempt of an act of inappropriate behavior whether verbal or physical. Shannon stated that she enjoyed working with you and she values what you are attempting to achieve. It is my hope that this addresses your concerns regarding Shannon's perspective on this matter. If I can be of further assistance regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Respectfully, Doctor, Tariq, PhD., M.S., MBA. This is the letter from staff working with me who was instructed by Employment Options management to refrain from providing me any services pertaining to my state waiver case. Go to: http://braininjurytbi.blogspot.com/ I think of my fellow brain injury survivor friends as part of my extended brain injury survivor family. Whether I have met them or not! If some infectious disease came along that affected children in the proportion that injuries do, there would be a huge public outcry and we would be told to spare no expense to find a cure and be quick about it. Today more awareness has occurred, but there is still much to learn, much like no two brain injuries are alike. The learning impact between different students will also not be alike. For myself I wish on that July afternoon 21 years ago that there was a national PABI plan in place I wish that the states and doctors and nurses and all the cops judges and people whoever had the power over me had a clue about TBI. I wish that when I needed it there were people to turn to answers to the questions I didn't even know I had and the resources in place for me. I wonder how different my life would be today. For more information, go to: www.thebrainproject.org Sincerely, Craig Sears
ID