Verizon Wireless - Why does Verizon pursue such an aggravating strategy?

Retired and shutting down most of the Verizon wireless services. Spent an hour yesterday getting them to shut down most of my business services. They finally agreed to do it and sent me an email showing that in truth, nothing had changed and no services had been shut down and that my next bill would be "as usual". Called again today and was told the conversation yesterday, while inaccurate and misrepresenting what would happen, wouldn't/couldn't be changed; years of overcharges for services that I had not authorized could not be reversed; and the information I was given was only a summary or an estimate; charges for the next bill would not be finalized until the end of the billing cycle; and that they couldn't really do anything for me. Also, it is entirely up to me to catch any errors by Verizon. If I had treated my customers like this, I would not have been in business. After raising my voice repeatedly, I got a commitment from Chandra that my next bill would be just $24.66. We will see if they are true to their word.
ID
Toano, Virginia
Product
Verizon Wireless Account
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution