HVAC - Robbing people in heat, charging $260 A 30/5 Capacitor , retail between $30 -$50

I am well versed in HVAC units and had discovered that I had a broken compacitor, but was selling my home, literally closing in two weeks and did not have time to order my own parts. I understand by calling ARS that they need to profit. However, they charged me $266.00 for a part that you can't even find in any retail setting for more than $50, a 30/5 Capicitor. So they LITERALLY charged me FIVE TIMES the price. Now the kicker, that doesn't include labor! They charged me $89 in labor to unscrew the back panel and pop in the capictor, and check the pressure generated. If this was jewelry or any other luxury purchse I might understand this mark up. However this is people's safety and health. ARS is taking advantage of the dire straights people find themselves in when their AC is not working. I am in contact with Karen Hicks of NC Consumer Protection Agency and am working with our local TV station's show 5 ON YOUR SIDE to see how many other services and parts are being overcharged to people in dangerous situations. Please share any bills via email or any other specific information regarding ARS HVAC cost of parts, repair and service. I have not recieved any explanations when I have tried to contact ARS about this matter. thinckley@***.com
#1924800

A guy called todays said he was HVAV, in my area and wants to check water heater. He would not give me his business address and phone number.

He hung up. I think he is fraud.

What do you think? please reply

266.00 is not bad, going rate now is 295.00 all the way to 695.00 it is not the cost of the part or the time it takes to change, it has to do with what it takes to run a profitable business that will be around to cover any warranty repairs later, they also have to cover any insurance on your home in case something goes wrong with the part they installed, insurance to cover the vehicle in case of an accident on the way to your home, insurance for the employee if he gets shocked and hurt or dead while working on your system, health insurance to keep the best employees around, 401k, you have to pay good to keep the good ones, 25 to 50 an hr plus commissions, a capacitor cost from 3 to 25 dollars, and i installed them for 295 to 395 for the dual ones with a year warranty parts and labor, so you have nothing to complaint about, if you don't want to pay, fix it yourself and don't forget to check amp's and voltage to motor and compressor, resistance on windings, fan blade for balance, pressures, evaporator and condenser coil pressure drops to see if they are filthy,return air and supply pressure drop, and everything else that needs to be checked to find out why that capacitor went bad, otherwise you will be changing capacitors yearly, like everybody else that does not know what they are doing. This is written by one of the most expensive and top 95% a/c man in the country, and maybe the world, i haven't checked international prices yet, but i'm sure they are cheaper than me.

@lugam

Beautiful respond i just love it... you said it all... if you dont like the price do it yourself.

View more comments (2)
ID
Saratoga, California
Empire Today's reply to:

Empire Today Flooring put our house out of code and installed on particle board

Mr. Hinckley: As a member of the customer service management team for Empire I apologize for the problems you had with your flooring installation and we understand your frustration. Customer satisfaction is extremely important to us and we want to work with you. I was able to locate your account information in our system and understand that we have been in communication with you regarding an inspection scheduled for this week. Our local area manager is overseeing your inspection and will communicate back with you about next steps. If you need additional assistance, I can be reached at customersupport@empiretoday.com or via phone at 888-588-2315 x4195. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager
ID
#203908 Review #203908 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss

In September my fiancee Donna Richard and I (Timothy Hinckley) hired Empire Today to do lay hard wood floors in our house. We were asked to have the a 10,000 dollar line of credit approved and paid with no written contract detailing the job, but not to worry we would not be charged until each of us had signed a Certificate of Completion.

The first day they didn't start because the wrong wood was ordered for our house. The next day they showed up with no detailed work order and asked me to tell them all the details of the job, and still had all the wrong molding. Then we come to find out that they had laid the hardwoods on top of particle board throughout the entire house. I had been suspicious something was wrong and during the job called management and they assured me it was nothing but an aesthetic problem, and they would not finish the job until I returned home to sign off on the job. I got home and found all the molding was the wrong color, all the detail work was wrong, all the thresholds were laid on top of the existing wood trim bringing my house out of code, and they used inches of wood puddy in all the joints to hide the improper cutting of the wood and cracks, they even ripped up tile and laid wood in rooms we hadn't asked for flooring. I asked the guys not to leave till I reviewed the job and signed a Completion Order, they snuck out getting my fiancee to sign before I returned.

I am on the loan separately and tried to stop the loan from Wells Fargo but they had processed it and Customer Service told me it was installed and I had ok the job. I tried to appeal to Empire National since I had already appealed to the local management and the regional rep refused to let me speak to anyone about the legal violations or provide me with any documentation and doubted the warranties that there own manufactures provided.

Truly a horrible experience from top to bottom. What troubles me the most is as the customer my veracity is being challenged by all levels of their management yet the people they believe on the local level have never visited our house.

My fiancee has even fallen in the house almost breaking her ankle on the curved out of code thresholds they installed.