PCGenerations replaces parts and uses *** for testing

On my first visit to PCGenerations in Tampa, their techs used *** movies to test my new video card, leaving the file names visible in my "recent files" list. No harm done I thought, and let it slide. On my second visit, the system was infected with a virus when returned to me -- with a new HD, no less. And unless a file named "busty blond gets hammered" is a HD diagnostic tool, they again watched *** on my system, as indicated by the "recent files" listing. I then noticed they had installed a refurbished drive instead of a new one, and had swapped my high speed RAM for slower cheap chips. Complaining to the store, I was given the "oh you must be mistaken, our employees are top notch" spiel and brushed off. They're a gaggle of cheap hacks as far as I'm concerned.

It's a simple thing to verify, Mulch -- why the hostility? hmmm... guilty much?

The RAM I purchased and installed myself were DDR-1600 chips from Corsair. The chips in my machine after making the mistake of visiting PC Generations were DDR-800 chips from Kingston. The vendor name on the cheap replacement chips had been obscured by a small dark sticker, which is what drew my attention to them -- Corsair does not clutter up it's merchandise with stickers.

Being the "techie" that you are, Mulch, I'm sure you can immediately see the discrepancy between these two chips. I can use small words and explain later if you like. :)

As for the HD, when an item is advertised as NEW and sold as NEW, as a consumer I have a reasonable and legal expectation to believe it is indeed NEW. Not used. Not refurbished. Not some hand-me-down from some random source of questionable legality.

Fortunately, Western Digital does indeed offer more than a 6 month warranty, as you indicate -- they offer a 3 YEAR warranty. And, also fortunately, Western Digital customer service was nice enough to swap the refurb for a new unit -- and new means NEW, as in "not used." And now that I have undone the damage done by PCG, I have decided to make sure that other local consumers are aware of their practices.

As for your "be happy you got one at all" comment... excuse me, which store did you work for? I'd like to make sure I never visit that type of rathole. Do you swap customer parts out for cheap replacements as well? Must be a nice, profitable side business... and I'm sure you're more than happy to offer to fix those customer's machines once those cheap parts fail too, right? Yeahhhh... my experiences with PCG were more than enough to steer me away from such establishments! So nice to know we have "reputable" businesses as these in town.

#120563

Please inform me as to how you "discovered" your RAMM was switched? "High speed"???????

WTF You have no idea what the *** you are talking abotu do you?

Now tradign out a HDD is normal practice. I have worked as a techie for a small computer store. In no way is any company required to trade out for new parts. Parts equal to what they are replacing is normal.

Should you ahve gotten a used HDD be happy you got one at all. HDD's are prone to failure and many companies refuse to offer more thana 6 month warrenty on them.

View more comments (1)
ID
Tampa, Florida

About

Summary

But a new generation of tablets could finally give this concept some legs. ... PC Magazine is a registered trademark of Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc. ...

PC Generation reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article