Rodney B Xot

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Woodway, Texas

Better Options in Waco

Updated by user Jan 20, 2023

Park Place Waco never responded, so we have filed in small claims court

Original review Dec 20, 2022
After contacting Park Place Waco in writing numerous times by email, a phone call and an in-person visit, with no response for Park Place Waco regarding move out charges, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They have not responded to the complaint either.

I would avoid this complex. Below the complaint filed with the BBB. Their BBB rating is a C-.
My daughter received a move-out statement on August 29th, 2022 for $217.00. The damage identified by the apartment was damaged by the previous renter and never repaired.

On August 30th, 2020 I responded to the email from park place Waco with photos that were downloaded from the Park Place portal that had been submitted at move-in on August 21, 2021. The photos, taken from the Park place portal showed the damage was made by the previous renter. Numerous requests were sent to Park Place maintenance by my daughter for repairs throughout the rental period, but few repairs were made. I never received a response from the email I sent on August 21st, 2022.

On September 27th, 2022 I received an email that was sent to all residents offering a 20% reduction on the $217 move-out notice. I responded on the same day demonstrating again, using Park Place photos that the damage we were being charged for, had occurred with the previous residents. My daughter responded on the same day as well with the same information I had provided. We received no response.

I reached out again on October 3rd and received no response. I left a voicemail on October 1st, 2022 and never received a response. I walked into the apartment lobby on October 4th, 2022 and met with the office manager and shared the information regarding the previous damage, including photos. She stated that the person responsible for reviewing our responses had not been at work the last three days, she did not know where she was or when she would return but that she is reviewing all appeals and will respond once ours is reviewed.

The office manger said I should wait for a response.

We never received a response and received a phone call from a collections agency on October 22nd, 2022. There was no new damage to the apartment during our daughters rental period, we demonstrated using Park Place photos from their portal that the damage was from a previous renter.

User's recommendation: Find Other Places to Live

Star H Liy

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

Fraudulent Business Practices.

I signed my lease at Park Place with a guarantor of a good credit score. My guarantor successfully passed his background check.

Park Place had no legal reason to charge me for a security deposit. They did it anyways, despite promising me otherwise. I thought I had been paying my rent through the online portal for months. Little did I know that they charged me a security deposit and made it seem like I was always late on rent.

I have the receipts to prove that I paid on time.

In December 2021, I discovered their mistake regarding the billing system. I emailed them and came into the office multiple times to explain this particular issue. They were unresponsive and ignored me. They finally responded via email on Jan 8th, 2022, acknowledging a mistake and promising to fix it.

At the same time, they told me to disregard the late fees and that they would not charge me for the security deposit. No changes were made, and I have not heard from them ever since. At the same time, due to their failure to fix that mistake, I was charged an excessive late fee of 810.10 dollars throughout the lease.

When I moved out in June, before the end of my lease, I diligently cleaned my apartment. I emailed the front office, and they confirmed that everything looked fine.

I promised to pay my rent for the remaining of the lease faithfullyand I did. More than 30 days after my lease ended, I received a check for the returning security deposit. They failed to uphold the law by returning the security deposit within a 30-day timeframe (as required by landlord-tenant law) and fraudulently deducted 100 dollars from my deposit for everyday wear and tear.

After receiving the check, I sent park place a total of 8emails over two months, discussing the unreasonable late fees they overcharged due to their broken billing system. Despite reviewing the receipts and the emails (in which they admitted a mistake was made), they continued to procrastinate, hoping that I would give up, and deliberately withheld 810.10 dollars from me.

(btw, they didnt respond to any of my emails.)

On Oct 14th, 2022, I sent them a final notice. I used the reference of Texas property code 92.109. I explained to them that if they continued to ignore me, I would have no choice but to believe that they were acting in bad faith. I sent them a written notice, warning them that I would resort to a lawsuit if this matter were not adequately resolved.

Once again, they ignored me.

I filed a petition with Waco Mclennan County Precinct 2, justice of the peace court, after receiving no response despite my various communication efforts.

Upon being served, Park Place was unusually quick to answer, and they promised to refund me 935 dollars plus court fees. Despite clear and convincing evidence indicating that they were in the wrong, they never ceased to passive-aggressively harass and intimidate me while knowing that I am pregnant.

It came to my knowledge that a dozen other parents are currently experiencing similar issues with the same apartment.

The majority of their tenants were college students, who were young and unfamiliar with their rights as tenants. Unfortunately, this apartment complex, managed by Park 7 group, frequently exploit their tenants, and they had been getting away with it for way too long.

I have attached a portion of the emails to this post.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Management is extremely lazy and incompetent

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Avoid

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article