A far fall from Paradise

• Turned up for my second fitting on time to find that may dress had not been touched since the last time I visited (same case for the appointment following mine). • Told if I waited half an hour it would be done. • The wait lapsed into 3 hours! • They didn't have a fitting room or an assistant for me to try on the dress so I was sent to a back room and had to ask another customer to help me lace the back. • The staff especially the seamstress was extremely unpleasant, rough and critical. • While I was waiting could hear screaming, yelling and protests coming from the sewing room. • Was discouraged from trying the dress on one final time before I took the dress home (also had to fly because I had been there so long and missed other appointments). • Although the dress was beautiful and inexpensive I got caught at the end with the alterations which cost a fortune and were cash only (they refused to take a credit card although I know they could because I paid the deposit with a credit card). The $10 bustle turned out to be a large, utilitarian metal hook which spoiled the look of the dress from the back. I asked for a smaller black hook which would blend and be less visible... the seamstress refused but in the end the manager agreed. The cups which were to be sown into the dress ($45) were cheap and the wrong color for the dress were sewn in with large haphazard stitches. Which made the front of the dress bunch up, and on closer inspection when I got home were misplaced, one was almost under the arm and the other at a ridiculous angle. I must admit rather than take the dress back (which I should have done, but didn't couldn't face the trip, the wait and the rudeness again only to have more shoddy work done), I removed the cups and fitted them myself. It took ten minutes (against 3 hours, what were they doing!) and looked perfect, even though black would have been a far better choice for this dress. I was buying a bridesmaids dress but I must say I did feel sorry for any unsuspecting brides whose day might be ruined by this experience. The most outstanding thing about the whole scenario was the fact although I waited very patiently for the 3 hours in the car making business calls (I only lost my cool at the end when they rudely insisted on cash and when I saw the shoddy workmanship) was that no one uttered an apology through out the whole proceedings. The dresses may be cheap but so is the service.

This place was terrible and made my bridal experience so disappointing. I am spending a lot of money to settle on a dress that isn't what I really wanted or ordered for my wedding day.

There was an error with the length of the dress ordered. Despite my file indicating I am an exact sample length and the store confirming with the manufacturer on this before even placing the order, I received a dress that was too long and would need a great deal of alterations. They blamed the manufacturer on the mistake. Paradise tried to remedy this by telling me it "wasn't their fault" and that I would have to pay over $200 to hem the scalloped lace and add crinoline to shorten the dress.

It certainly isn't my fault. As a business, shouldn't they check to make sure the correct dresses are ordered and arrive as they should? It seems like simple order inventory to me. Finally after telling them I would go elsewhere to get the work done and not give them more business, the manager (Cherise) said the store would eat the alterations costs for the length.

When I came back for my second fitting, the dress shape had been dramatically changed as a result of the necessary addition of crinoline to the bottom.

I went from absolutely loving the light, airy, and organic feel of my lace dress, to feeling like I was wearing this giant puffy bell at the bottom. Even though the dress is still beautiful, no bride wants to feel uncomfortable. I feel I am settling on the wedding dress and it isn't what I ordered or paid a lot of money for.

The store tried to tell us a second time that we were responsible for paying for the alterations to the length.

The receptionist questioned us in great deal as to which manager we spoke with before she would get someone for us to speak with. Cherise finally came out and tried to give us the run around again, saying now the work was done and wouldn't release the dress to us. I was nearly in tears out of frustration. Finally, we got it squared away because Donna also happened to overhead the situation.

Everyone I have spoken to says this is very standard practice of Paradise Bridal.

They try and force you to pay for things that we unnecessary or a mistake on their end. When I was there, a girl was crying because her wedding dress came in a size 6, not 16 like she ordered, and they were telling her there might not be enough time to order a new one.

You're best bet is to skip the headache and disappointment and head to the better bridal salons on the island. My bridesmaid gowns came from Bridal Suite of Centereach and they were absolutely wonderful to work with!!!

ID
Patchogue, New York
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article