Pacific Oil Cooler

Purchased a new Aero Classic Lycoming aircaft oil cooler from a re-seller it leaked, made a total mess of my cowling and could have drained my crankcase. Fortunatly we caught it in time and called Chief. They would not handle the warranty claim and referred me back to the major distributor (Pacific Oil Cooler)manufacturer/distributor or whatever??? Could not get a straight answer, come to find out these things are such junk they have been messing with warranty issues just be able to stay one step ahead of the FAA. The PMA or STC Pacific own's for manufacturing the coolers has been transferred so many times there is not more oversight. Anyway they never refunded my money and I'm out close to 5 bills. I eventually went to Niagara Air Parts and got a direct replacement which is now working great. Anyone out htere experienceing the same thing needs to report these fools at Pacific oil coolers to the FAA.

I converted my engine in my PA-18 from 150 to 160 hp, with the oil cooler supplied with the stc the oil temps were unacceptable. I contacted Pacific Oil Cooler and they recommended a Stewart Warner of same dimensions but had more cooling fins, totally solved my problem, thanks guys...Rusty

My colleagues were looking for a form last month and came across a document management site that hosts a searchable forms database . If you need it too , here's http://pdf.ac/1RrAnw.

I have had a relationship with Pacific Oil Cooler since mid 1990s and I have only had a positive experience. They are a first class operation.

My highly modified C-185 Skywagon has a TSIO-520 engine as removed from a T-206, but with some induction and exhaust modifications. This added performance is important as I live in mountainous Colorado surrounded by 16,000 ft MEAs. After less than 1000 hours on a new PosiTech cooler, my summer oil temperatures began to soar above 220F even with full open cowl flaps and higher than normal climb speeds.

A call to Wayne at Pacific Oil Cooler Service had a bolt-in AERO-Classics replacement oil cooler delivered promptly. A simple replacement reduced my normal climb oil temperature back to the 170-180F normal values. A comparison of the construction differences revealed why the AERO-Classics unit runs so much cooler.

We also use a POCS oil cooler on our R-2600 powered TBM Avenger WWII torpedo bomber for over 25 years. Never an oil temp problem, even on hot, high altitude flights.

I have an Aero Classic cooler on my VW powered KY2S and it is as good as they get.

I purchased my oil cooler from Pacific Oil Coolers in 2009, and have had a totally great experience with them! In fact, they spent over 40 minutes with me on the phone, answering my numerous questions, before I purchased the particular model they recommended for my airplane.

Their knowledge and professionalism are the best in the industry, as far as I'm concerned. I reccommend them highly.

My name is Wayne Thomas, I work for Pacific Oil Cooler Service, Inc. and Aero-Classics Heat Transfer Products, Inc. To set the record straight, the pissed consumer's name is Curt Crissey and he bought one of our P/N 800**** oil coolers from Chief Aircraft. Exact purchase date unknown. On March 26, 2013 Mr. Crissey called Pacific Oil Cooler Service indicating that his cooler developed a leak - and he requested warranty consideration. I told him that I would be happy to give him an RMA for the cooler and assured him that we would either repair or replace it under the terms of the Aero-Classics limited warranty.

I issued an RMA number to Mr. Crissey on March 26 – and as of today (April 4th) we have yet to receive anything from him. In the meantime, he has made statements on Pissed Consumer.com that are absolutely untrue:

1) He could not get a straight answer. The first time that he called us, I gave him a return material authorization number and told him we would inspect the cooler and cover it under warranty, barring any signs of misuse, damage, or improper use of the oil cooler.

2) Our oil coolers are junk and we have been “messing with warranty issues” just to stay one step ahead of the FAA. Aero-Classics Heat Transfer Products, Inc. has one of the lowest warranty return rates in the business. We also produce more FAA-PMA product than the rest of the industry combined. In addition, the FAA has no actions pending against us.

3) The PMA we own has been transferred so many times there is “not more oversight”. In 2003, Pacific Oil Cooler Service, Inc. purchased Aero-Classics, Inc. while it was in bankruptcy. Aero-Classics, Inc. was located in Huron, Ohio at the time. A new corporation was formed to meet the legal requirements of the moment – and it was called Pacific Oil Cooler Service of Ohio, Inc. In 2005, Aero-Classics was relocated to Pacific’s headquarters in La Verne, California and a new independent company was formed: Aero-Classics Heat Transfer Products, Inc. All of the heat exchange products that we manufacture are produced to standards that are beyond what is required by the FAA. Company principals are present in-facility virtually every moment that product is being produced. There is an abundance of oversight.

4) They never refunded my money and I’m out close to 5 bills. Mr. Crissey was given a return authorization, yet never sent the product back to us. If he is “out close to 5 bills”, it is his own fault.

A second person comments that he purchased a used aircraft from someone who claimed that the “new” Aero-Classics oil cooler on the aircraft came from us with an epoxy repair done to it. Neither Aero-Classics or Pacific Oil Cooler Service uses epoxy as a repair method. This accusation is absolute absurdity.

Anyone who's got an issue with any of our products may call me toll-free at 800-866-****.

Similar experience!

Niagara Cooler was happy to test and replace. They had my permission to pressure test and it blew up at 210 PSI..it had been purchased new in Oct 2005 by my planes original owner but found during close inspection had been repaired at one time with epoxy...he said he never repaired it but also never noticed they sold him a repair unit as new...crooks!

View more comments (7)
ID
Sandusky, Ohio

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article