map-marker Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Broke down in Scotland

Outdoorsy - Broke down in Scotland

Outdoorsy has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I gave it one star because no stars is not an option.

I spent three thousand pounds renting a campervan from an owner in Inverness Scotland. The initial issue was the owner pulled a bait-and-switch I ordered a 2000 Mazda Bongo camper which was an automatic and when I arrived there was a 1995 Peugeot manual in unroadworthy condition. The owner admitted himself that he has a best friend with a garage who certified the Mot which in the states is comparable to a safety check. My first issue with the van was unable to climb the hills in the Highland in 2nd and 3rd gear it would start to smell and stall.

I then drove through flatter land where when I arrived in Fort William 3000 miles from home the undercarriage was corroded and wired up and at that point the exhaust severed from the manifold. The owners submitted perfect pictures of the outside of the van never once showing the deplorable condition of the undercarriage. I was told to take it to a shop I did that it was going to cost a hundred and seventy-five pounds to repair and Take 5 days and the owner refused to do that he said the part is only $20 and he could fix it. He then asked the garage attendant to put a spot of weld on the exhaust so I could get back on the road.

The garage refused and said that was not safe and that's not something they do. I was then instructed to drop the van off at a parking lot and leave the keys. By outdoorsy own contract ..once the owner tells you to leave the van the rental is over I still had nine days left of this reservation. I have had zero refund oh no a £150 for my trouble.

They owe me over a £900. Also outdoorsy doesn't bother to tell you that there is not 24/7 roadside assistance as they advertise in their ads in another country. I was a woman alone stranded in a town three thousand miles from home with absolutely no assistance. From that time on I rented hotel rooms and paid for tours to continue my vacation.

The owner reaches out to me by WhatsApp and my phone number I have asked him to stop because I don't have proof to the company what he is saying to me. He scolded me for talking to him on outdoorsy app instead of privately. I have reached out to Outdoorsy resolution Department and the breakdown Department with no avail. Terrance in the resolution Department said the owner had the van certified and here are the pictures he forwarded us the van was in perfect condition when you took it.

Not one picture of the corroded wired up undercarriage. I am now putting forth reviews and seeking out the trading standards Department in Scotland which is like our Better Business Bureau I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and I'm now getting legal representation. Do not I repeat do not rent from outdoorsy in any country except the US and that would even be questionable. Anyone who wants to reach out to me I will forward the photos.

OH and Beware of the closet in your contract that says a breakdown in the vehicle rented if it can be fixed during your rental time then you're responsible for returning it to the owner. If I agree to that I would have sat for 6 days during my vacation waiting for the van to be fixed but instead the owner told the garage not to fix it and I was to drop it off.

I have been home all week I've emailed to of the higher administration's in outdoorsy they dared to take another £500 deposit and even though I dropped the van off 9 days early as instructed I still have not received any type of refund. Stay away from this company!!

Don't believe the phony response you read below they want the best customer service a supervisor has looked at the photos of the rusty corroded wired up undercarriage and they said because I accepted the van they can only give me another $100 refund they owe me close to $1,200.

Time for legal representation. I guess when you rent a vehicle you're supposed to lay on your stomach and check out the exhaust before you pull it off the lot.

Please save yourself a lot of drama and do not ever rent from this compa

User's recommendation: Never us

Darrell S Zhc

Verified Reviewer

Terrible experience with the renter and the company

I recently rented a motorhome, 2 days before I was to have it delivered the owner called and said she had a mechanical issue.(I had booked this 2 months in advance) 1/2 hour before I was to receive it she text and said it would not be available, I had booked a campsite in advance and paid for it. I had purchased food and supplies for 4 days for 5-6 people.

Now shat wasa I to do after this she offered me a 24 foot trailer which she had available and I had no way of Towing this trailer so she offered to to the campsite for me which I agreed tp to because we had no alternative. she never did mention to me that she was going to charge me $250 for this delivery had she told me this I would have not accepted.

her driver was a poor driver showed up late and got the trailer stuck against a tree we had to help her physically lift the trailer off the hitch to move it away from the tree so she could hook it back up to the truck and pull it out otherwise she would have called a tow truck ride cost her two to three hundred dollars. we also played it paid a cleaning fee for this trailer and was not told by the owner that it had to come back spotless we did leave it fairly clean the floor was a little dirty but other than that if we hardly use the inside it was 30 degrees outside we spent most of the time outside.

Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund

RVs, Motorhomes and Trailers Expert Talks

RV Camping: Everything You Need to Know About RV Travel

Nov 13, 2020

RV expert and experienced traveler, Mark Koep, shares his advice with consumers on how to set up an RV, plan a camping trip, choose RV campgrounds, and stay safe while RV traveling during the pandemic.

Read full article
Mark Koep
Mark Koep

Mark Koep is an owner of CampgroundViews.com and an RV expert, who knows everything about RV parks and campgrounds in the US.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article