MPLS Photo Center: membership contracts

I signed up for a membership at the Minneapolis Photo Center several months ago and e-mailed my request to cancel, which I was told I could do. Since I joined, they added six month membership contracts and told me I could cancel but would have to pay off the rest of my membership term. I just wasn't using the membership because the equipment is so old and cheap. I said I'm canceling and don't want to be charged, and by the time I got home they charged my card the rest of the membership term without permission. I called my bank and disputed the charge, and so far the MPLS Photo Center has not taken any more money out.

I have been a working professional in residence at the center for a LONG time and much of my personal equipment is older than that of the centers and their rates are CHEAP. Loved Orrie and Love Jeff....the Community is better served with an asset like this in place and it does not come for free.

I have to say that I have been a full co-op member there for over 3 years. Ori and Abby are fantastic people. As a full co-op member I have a lot of privileges and Ori goes out of his way to help me with my questions or concerns.

If anyone wants a place to shoot with fantastic shooting bays, and amazing equipment to rent Mpls Photo Center is the place for you. Each of my models have been so complimentary of the space, the kitchen and the shooting bays.

I am hard pressed to find a better place to shoot in the Twin Cities.

Thanks Ori and Abby for being fantastic people and for running a wonderful center

View more comments (1)
ID
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Loss

Mpls Photo Center's Orin Rutchick overcharged my card, yelled at me

I've been a member of the Mpls Photo Center at 2400 N 2nd St in Minneapolis for about nine months as a photo center member. I cancelled my membership after they downsized from having two levels to just one level with a couple of rooms. It seemed that Orin Rutchick, the owner was always reducing the member benefits by increasing pricing on digital lab printing, darkroom access and studio bay/lighting lab access. I canceled three weeks before the month ended and there was no contract, and I got confirmation from Orin via email that my membership was canceled. THEN in January I got charged another $25 for membership. I called up, asked for a refund, and was given a COMPLETE LIE about how refunds can't be processed because of the Delta/Northwest merger. WHAT?! HOW DOES THAT EVEN RELATE TO THIS ISSUE? He said he would send me a check for $25 and I never got it. Then in February I got charged $235 for membership! HE INCREASED MY MEMBERSHIP from the $25 to $235 membership. After he refused to credit me, I disputed the amounts with my credit card company. When he heard from his bank, Orin called me and left a nasty message on my phone swearing at me and threatening to send me to collections. I never learned a thing about photography and all of the instructors are always complaining. I do not suggest becoming a member at the Mpls Photo Center.

STOP CHARGING MY CARD!!!!! MY CARD SAYS ""MPLS PHOTO CENTER 612-327-****"" EVERY MONTH FOR $95.

#208378

I've been a member going on 4 years now. I have enjoyed my membership and have gotten a lot out of it.

I downgraded my membership when they downsized the space (beautiful space but very under used). As for Orin and the staff, I've been very pleased. For those who have not checked out Mpls Photo Center, I think you should, then see what you think for yourself. For those of you that was/feel that you were wronged, as a member I want to say I am sorry.

I hope you have found a photo coop you are happy with now. :grin

I've worked with Orin find him to be a VERY fair and understanding guy. I sure would give them a call and talk to them as I'm positive there must be some misunderstanding that can be worked out.

:? The MPLS Photo Center did this to me too.

They added 6 month contracts to all their memberships without telling anyone.

I disputed the membership charge with my bank and got it refunded. There are so many better places in Minneapolis that aren't so money-hungry.

it would be great to know who you are since i handle all membership issues and never come across this one. Sounds a bit suspect to me.

We downsized last August and we have much more than a couple of rooms, and we don't charge people randomly.

it is funny i never heard about this. if you are so angry give us a call.

View more comments (4)
ID
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Loss

About

Summary

Mpls Photo Center unites both amateur and professional photographers to work, learn, discover, experience, create, and become members of the dedicated photography and all its media and processes. Mpls Photo Center has numerous classes and workshops designed for all ages and covering all aspects of photography. As well, Mpls Photo Center provides full range of photo services, including darkrooms, digital lab, studios, equipment, reservations, and exhibitions. Center is open for new members who can meet, socialize, and share work both online via site and every day in Mpls Photo Center’s studio spaces, labs and Wi-Fi access.

Mpls Photo Center reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article