Hostile Customer Service with Movie Gallery

We received a hostile phone call from the store manager concerning the movie "9" she felt we had not returned. We had recently returned it, told her so and she hung up, only to call back a few minutes later after having "found" it in the spot we said it was. Then she proceeded to tell us how there was no bar code on it and she demanded to know if we had children. Her customer service was deplorable. I asked what that had to do with the returned movie and she blamed them for having peeled off the bar code. Are you kidding me? Is this how any company keeps its customers? She proceeded to spout on about how we needed the bar code to return it and how it's charged to our account and I kept asking what this means now, then, getting nowhere handed my husband the phone. He talked with her, also incredulous, and then she HUNG UP ON HIM! Then we thought maybe she had charged us the price of the movie, and so if she was holding the movie "9", then we weren't sure if she meant it was ours. It was just so confusing and unbelievable for her to accuse our children then rant at us, then hang up! My husband went up to the local store to try and find out what more we could do to figure this out,but she kept insulting us about how we were refusing to accept that we had "allowed our children to pick off the bar code" then acted all angry that we didn't notice or pay attention to the "missing" bar code. My husband just asked for the customer service number, and it's closed Saturday, so that is why I am emailing this complaint. Perhaps a store that is losing business to Netflix and Redbox should implore their sales representatives to treat customers with respect. I would have been eager to work with her and solve the problem. Because of this we will NEVER go into another Movie Gallery again.
Franklin, Tennessee

Movie gallery rings up higher prices

I was in the Movie Gallery here in town the other day and wanted some snacks to go with my dvds. They had a sign for a deal wjere you get a certain number of things for a reduced price (drinks, candy, popcorn,) so I ordered that. When the boy told me the price it seemed too high, but he said he took off the discount but there is tax. So I figured okay. But I asked for a receipt and looked at it because I still did not like the way it sound. They took some of the price off, but it still ended up being a dollar more expensive, never mind taxes, than the advertised price. With tax it was another .50cents to boot. The boy said it must be a computer problem but then he said that's the price they have always rung up. If every person getting this across the country gets charged an extra dollar on every purchase and think they are getting a deal, that is fraud right?
Athens, Georgia

Movie Gallery rip off for troops

We rent movies weekly from the Movie Gallery in our area and upon checking out were asked if we'd like to purchase a bag of popcorn and a little plastic flag for a buck,proceeds to go to buying movies for the troops.After we purchased this I read the sign as we were leaving that 10% goes to troops. Are you *** kidding me that movie Gallery charges 5 bucks for a movie and cant give more than 10 cents per dollar to the troops that are protecting our freedom so they MG can rip us all off as well as them.That is ridiculous.And I am p*ssed.

Get a picture of the sign. Be sure to include the security bar, and the fine print. I noticed this myself.

#20399

The military takes care of the soldiers. Flags and movies cost money! Who do you think pays for them?

View more comments (1)
Nashville, Tennessee

Boycott Movie Gallery

Movie Gallery is the second largest video rental business in the world next to Blockbuster. Besides Movie Gallery, they also own and operate Hollywood Video and Game Crazy. They are also one of the biggest violators of workers rights. They continuously violate multiple labor laws and implement unfair work practices. They pressure employees with multiple sales goals and offer no incentives or raises...ever. All employees are treated as expendable. Managers are forced to work long hours with no lunches or breaks of any kind. This company has got to be stopped. I was a store manager for them for 2 years and they are the worst company I have ever worked for. I always pride myself on my work and I know I did a good job for his company. I brought my store sales up $2000 a week from what it was when I started. I always put in long hours and never called in sick. I was promised a raise three times, but never saw one. I finally quit because my district manager told me I would never get a raise. Everyone should boycott Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video until they start treating their employees better.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have worked at Movie Gallery for close to 2 and a half years now and I've always thought they treat their employees poorly. The store is closing now, and they at least had the decency to tell us 2 days in advance, unlike another store in our district that recieved no warning at all. The DM simply showed up and told them to lock the doors and close the store. I can honestly say that our store manager is the best manager I've ever had at any job and he's never recieved any compensation for the excellent job he does other than having his store closed.

As you said, they pressure us with impossible sales goals and threaten to fire us if we don't reach them.

We went through 4 DMs in 3 months and only one of them knew anything about running a store.

I've worked from open to close by myself without a single break, something I know my manager has done weekly for 7 years now. Buh. I'm gonna stop now because this will turn into a novel. Maybe I'm just bitter because we were once a very productive store until we were forced to implement clearly flawed business policies. Seriously though, I'm finished now. Thanks for reading my rant.

I agree with you completely, my wife has been a manager for movie gallery for almost 10 years and now they're closing her store. Not only have they treated, threatened and abused the power that some dist.

mgrs. believe they have next to GOD, they are not going to pay her over 40 hours of vacation time. She took 2 of their stores and made them great. And the only thank you is no thank you but sorry about your bad luck.

There are dist. mgrs.

who believe they are the owners of this company and there are managers who should not even have their jobs. The dedicated ones are the ones who have no leg to stand on at all.

I will boycott them! They are rude as well! :( I will never rent anything from Movie Gallery again!

View more comments (2)
Rochester, New York

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article