Bad Quality Move From a "Premium" Firm

We made a local move of about 5 miles in 2012, but needed to put our household goods in storage for 2 months until the new house was ready. Morgan Manhattan's salesman came out, eyeballed our belongings and came up with an estimate. I asked for an all-in figure: the move out of our old house, storage, and finally the move out of storage into the new house. The salesman told me their "system couldn't do that kind of quote", and all I got was a quote for the move out of the old place and into storage. It sounded reasonable (for suburban Connecticut, that is), about $8000 for packing, loading and 2 months of storage, and I was assured that the move from storage into the new house would costs "roughly" $2000 plus $1275 if we wanted unpacking. We made the mistake of going ahead. Morgan Manhattan's sales propaganda touts the long-established firm as the "best move you'll ever make". I have moved 6 times internationally and within the US, but this was by far the worst move I have ever experienced. A week or two before our June moving day (when it was too late to get someone else), I received a formal contract which suddenly showed additional charges of around $3000 above the estimate price for "storage", despite the initial written estimate clearly noting that it included 2 months of storage. When I asked what was going on, I was told that this had been left out of the initial estimate "by mistake". Protests went nowhere and were coldly dismissed. When we were ready to move into the new house, Morgan Manhattan demanded to be paid up-front for the move out of the warehouse, despite holding all of our goods effectively as collateral. Because the packing was sloppy and rushed at the end, with garage tools rammed into the back of the moving truck, there was a lot of breakage, and several large oriental rugs, ladders, tables, and other furniture and household goods simply failed to turn up. It took repeated calls to Morgan Manhattan and their warehouse to track down most (but not all) of our missing stuff, which then required an additional 2 deliveries. I thought we had paid for unpacking, but it turned out that this referred only to furniture, beds and other large items. We had to do everything else. They then wanted extra money to come and pick up empty boxes, which every other mover I have ever used has recycled as a courtesy. After I protested, they grudgingly agreed to one pick up. Morgan Manhattan insisted on disassembling our foosball table (though it had been placed in our old house without being taken apart) to move it, and left it as a pile of parts in our basement. Again, it took multiple calls to get them to come and put it together. But now when you play foosball, parts fly off in all directions. They effectively ruined the table. To even file a minimum claim for damage required notarized affidavits. An outrageous total of around $14,000 for a 5 mile move and 2 months of storage. Arrogant and unresponsive service. Morgan Manhattan is a total rip-off. Avoid this company when moving at all costs.
ID
Stamford, Connecticut
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article