Really bad

Worst experience ever. After non returned calls I was told to never call back. They have yet to distribute all the money from my mothers will after over two years. Excuses, vacations and days off. They act like they are doing you a favor not like they are getting paid for a service.

My aunts estate is handled through this firm & my mother has not been too happy with the speed of their services or promises to send items.

Horrible customer service:

Two years after the death of my mother in August of 2016, we are still waiting for the final disposition of her uncontested will. They don't return calls and poorly communicate information. There have been circumstances that required some additional time but the firm continues say various problems have been resolved (e.g., locating others named to receive small amounts of money). However, they will say that the issue is resolved only to come back later and say they either hadn't done it as they said or that they have to do it again. These and similar issues have occurred for nearly two year. Other attorneys I've consulted with have said Milhorn's practice is ridiculous. The only way this can be resolved is for Milhorn to release the remaining funds they owe my family.
Not as described/ advertised
Loss
Preferred solution
Send remaining payout of will immediately.

Stay Away!!! This man is not stable!

The Millhorn Law Firm set up a family trust for us years ago. We arrived today with some questions and Michael Millhorn interrupted me within 30 seconds and started yelling at us! I tried to remain calm but he just kept on being a complete *** to the point he caused my mother to start shaking in fear. At this point I said we were done and started putting paperwork away, this is when he started telling me "I think I am so much smarter than everyone else on earth" and then accused me of criminal acts!!! We were absolutely dumbfounded at this point and walking out of the office, but he just kept on going. To the point he actually acted for a second like he was going to get physical with me. The experience was so unexpected and upsetting my mother started crying as soon as we left the building and got in the car. I have no idea what has happened to him but in my opinion he showed every sign of senility or the beginnings of Alzheimer's Disease. Do not let this man anywhere near your finances!!!
ID
#1119881 Review #1119881 is a subjective opinion of poster.
The Villages, Florida
Cons
  • Michael millhorn

Worst communication ever!

Using their website email, I emailed this firm twice regarding obtaining an appointment with Jennifer. No reply after 5 days. I called, left a message. No response after 2 days. Obviously not interested in obtaining new business, they failed big time in my book. Will share my experience at our next Villages meeting also.

Not pissed, just dissapointed

Millhorn Group set up a trust for my elderly Father to avoid the expense of probate, but then failed to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility by ensuring my Father fully fund his trust. Its not a legal requirement, but there is little point to placing your estate in a Trust, if your assets are not protected by it. They claim they tried to get him fund it, but when pressed, they were unable to produce documents to support that claim. Perhaps, it was all done over the phone. When my Father died, 80% of his estate required probate and Millhorn was set to charge us the statutory maximum % to clear up the mess they helped create. This fee was many times greater than the simple fee they would have earned by administering a fully funded Trust. All perfectly legal, but hardly fair to the family. With little trouble we found another attorney. We still went to probate, but for a fraction of the cost Millhorn wanted to charge us. Nice people, very professional, perhaps our case was the exception.
Bad quality

Millhorn Law Firm - Fixing Problems

We are at a loss that people will use a forum like this site to attack our Firm. Instead of coming to us with an unsubstantiated rumor or problem, you post on a site that forever disparages our Firm and its employees. The Firm's attorneys plan to spend their careers working here in central Florida and we all depend on the reputation of the Firm for our livelihood. It is troublesome to us that someone with a complaint or rumor would not come to us or go to the appropriate administrative board. If you have been into our Firm, you will know that Ryan and I and the other attorneys at the Firm will do anything legally and ethically possible to make our clients happy and make sure that our clients' needs are addressed. For the last twenty years, our Firm has continued to grow due to the fact that our clients know that we will be around to help them and their families. Many people know that the Firm's founder, Michael D. Millhorn, retired. We wish him the best in his retirement. However, the Firm continues to grow as two new attorneys plan to join our practice starting in August and September. If anyone has a problem with our Firm, or has heard a rumor about the Firm, please call us and give us a chance to address the issue or set the record straight. Respectfully submitted, Eric C. Millhorn

Oh and FYI, Millhorn Sr. is apparently going to work at Bogin, Munns & Munns.

The "family values" law firm.

Wow that's going to be a great fit. I wonder if he will be re-writing their employee handbook--namely the section on "Office Manager Duties."

Even the retired Millhorn uncle says you guys are running the firm into the ground and doing a terrible job. Just ask him yourself.

It's true that this firm's attorneys are all their own separate businesses. I bet none this firm's clients knows or understands this.

If an attorney there makes a mistake, who is responsible? In the end probably some corporation with no assets or insurance.

Somebody else said it was a corporate shell game there. They are 100% right about that.

Even your employees talk bad about your firm. Apparently you guys are so cheap you give employees a $50 Olive Garden gift certificate as a Christmas bonus.

Wow don't break the bank helping out people during Christmas.

That's probably a step up from your retired uncle though. I heard he had a rather interesting employee bonus package.

Do your research and you will see that these guys are just a collection of separate corporations under another corporation. It's confusing.

There is Eric Millhorn, P.A., Ryan Millhorn, P.A., The Millhorn Law Group, LLC, and then the Millhorn Law Firm, LLC, etc. All operating from the same address. If something goes wrong who would be accountable? I wonder if anybody using them really knows what business did their will or trust.

I've never seen a law firm operate like this. It's a shell game.

Why did you guys take down your website?

Wait, you have lost like 6-8 attorneys, and you are adding 2. That's not growing.

The only way the next 2 will stay is if they are your relatives.

As for rumors, is it true one of your attorneys was representing some doctors in a lawsuit in Marion County, and the doctors paid your firm oodles of money, and your firm pulled out from the case a couple weeks before the trial? Wow poor doctors.

View more comments (6)
Tavares, Florida

MILLHORN Law Firm Lady Lake Florida

I paid them to do a medicaid trust for my Mom over a month ago and so far nothing has been done. They do not return phone calls, emails or will even come out of their office if you ask for help. I sent a certified letter to them two weeks ago and they did respond promising to send me some trust info and so far nothing has been sent in the mail, nor have I received an email or phone call. They have not fulfilled their part of the agreement and so far they have not returned any of my Mom's money. Has anyone got a refund from them?

One thing I can guarantee you, the money you paid them did not go to pay the home loans of either of the owners...one had a house in foreclosure in Lake County and the other one has a house in foreclosure in Marion County. Don't buy it if you can't pay for it!

I just tried to google them and they don't even have a website up anymore...if I were you I'd take action now. The best firm to use in The Villages is McLin Burnsed.

I know somebody that had a trust screwed up by Millhorn went there to get it fixed. Maybe they can help you deal with these questionable folks.

If you are having problems with them just report them to the lawyers bar organization. It's pretty amazing that one of them is on here making a sales pitch.

Please stop posting negative reviews on here and just call us. Apparently people do call but don't get any response.

View more comments (2)
Red Bluff, California

Does not Follow a Decedent's Will

...by consumers, for consumers Don't let them get away with it...scams, consumer complaints,and frauds reported. File a report, post your review or experience!HOME SEARCH COMPANY OR REPORT # Use Advanced SearchLatest ReportsRead "Thank You" e-mails from consumers because Ripoff Report protects consumer's right to speak outPlease use our support form if you have any difficulties or wish to contact usReport: #581163Report: The Millhorn Law Firm Reported By: Brian (Denver Colorado)U.S.A.The Millhorn Law Firm Abusive, Unhelpful, The Villages, Lady Lake, Ocala, Central Florida, Incompetent The Villages, Florida*UPDATE by author... The Millhorn Law Firm 2Author Consumer EmployeeRespond to this report! Victim of this person/company? The Millhorn Law Firm13710 US Highway 441 Suite 100 The Villages Florida 32159 United States of America Phone: 352-753-**** Web Address: Millhorn.com Category: Attorneys & Legal Services Submitted: Monday, March 15, 2010Last posting: Monday, March 15, 2010Reasons Not to use the Millhorn Law firm 1. They do not return phone calls in a timely manner and most phone calls they don't return at all. 2. They rarely or never answer e-mails. 3. They did not have the Personal Representative file an Inventory List as requested by the beneficiaries. It is required by law but, I guess, they think they are above the law. 4. They allowed the Personal Representative to give away the decedent's property to persons who were not beneficiaries. 5. If they return phone calls they can and have been very abusive. 6. They do not provide answers to any concerns that beneficiaries may have. They do not explain any process of settling an estate. 7. I really have serious concerns about their competence and I will be advising the Florida Bar Association. 8. They are extremely frustrating to work with since they do no tell the truth all the time. 9. They never do what they say they will do causing a great deal of anguish. 10. I always thought the customer would be treated better. We do pay them to be helpful also. 11. At least one person was fired for being abusive which leads me to believe there were other complaints against them. 12. They tried to cause problems and dissent among the beneficiaries and the Personal Representative. 13. They did not have a true accounting of money sent to Beneficiaries. 14. Save yourself headaches and wasted expense by not using the Millhorn Law Firm located in The Villages, Lady Lake, and Ocala Florida. This law firm can not be trusted.

I just happened to see this bashing of the Millhorn law firm and was shocked as to what I read.

We've used Eric Millhorn a few times for various reasons and found him along with his firm to be very informative,

reasonable, and prompt in returning our phone calls, in

fact we had many questions at one point in time and there

was no delay with them getting back to us....

now that we

reside in Hernando Beach, Florida, having moved from Weirsdale, Florida, we still use them whenever having the need for a law firm .... again, they are trustworthy, reasonable, caring and very professional attorneys. I'm sure there is always a possibility of bad blood between clients and attorney's, but in all honesty, we have always been very pleased with the service we got from the Millhorn group, especially Eric Millhorn.

James D. 352-556-****

Stay away from Michael Millhorn...his family does!

Susan, you are such a blow hard. Advertising by attorneys has to be run by the Florida bar before they can run it. Your biggest complaint is a youtube video? GET A LIFE!

My nieghbor in the Villages works for Millhorn law and she says that Eric Millhorn and Ryan Millhorn are wonderful to work for and actually care about their staff and clients. She says that all of their problems come from trying to fix things put into place by the uncle.

This complaint is a perfect example, look at the date, it was started when the uncle Michael Millhorn was running the company, it did not have anything to do with Eric Millhorn or Ryan Millhorn. She says it was horrid while Michael Millhorn was in charge because he was more interested in sleeping with the help than taking care of his employees and customers.

What a smear compaign, sheesh!

haha, 350+ words for Susan to say she is not angry, I hate to break it to you girl, but you are definitely angry. Haters are going to hate as they say. (disgruntled employee is my guess) It is ok to move on with your life, seriously, from what you have said, they have.

Well, when I said google Ryan Millhorn and North Carolina, another person on here (Dave) said I should do some fact checking and said it was "dumb" to think a person with a criminal record could become an attorney in Florida. So I was irked by his comment and set him straight.

He needed it. LOL, and Florida is saturated with attorneys. It's not "one of the toughest Bars" in the country. About 100,000 and counting.

I would think a "retired attorney" would know that. There are way too many law schools and way too many attorneys. That's why lawyer's salaries in Florida have gone down. And while you don't have to agree with me, I think a person's character does matter, and in that department the Millhorn Frirm was severely lacking.

And I say was because they are gone. They had to close their firm down, lay off people, etc. Now there is a new firm, I believe it is minus Ryan Millhorn--thank God if that's true. Perhaps they have seen the light and learned an important lesson: be decent and good to people--you know, the "Golden Rule." It's not hard to do.

But if you are impressed with Ryan Millhorn, well may God help you. If you want the truth about him, talk to anybody who used to work there. Pull up his youtube ad where he lies about his experience. If your uncle has over 20 years of estate planning experience and you take over his firm, you can't say you have 20 years of experience doing estate planning, personal injury, and other areas of law.

It's just not true. Again, it's called a LIE. Lastly, I'm not angry. I just have zero tolerance for b.s.

and sleazy people who hold themselves out to the public as being better than sliced bread. But I imagine Mr. "Retired Attorney" feels right at home which such people. Here is a newsflash for you: most people do not like attorneys, and for good reason.

You guys are like used car salesman.

Why do you think there are so many lawyer jokes? And why in the world would you start any comment off by saying, "Well I'm a retired attorney." I wouldn't be bragging too much about that :)

I was thinking the same thing Valerie.

As a retired attorney myself, I cannot help but be impressed by Ryan Millhorn, if the one and the same person, overcame all of that and got admitted to the third hardest attorney bar in the country. Says a lot to me (I have had to go through that process myself).

So considering what Susan posted, this means that:

1. The allegation occurred 20 years ago (1993),

2. Using the birthday in the info she posted, this would make him 18 years old,

3. There is no wrong doing alleged on his part in any of Susan's post or any other post in this entire complaint.

So to put on my lawyer's hat, I would have to say that Susan is using the logical fallacy called an ad hominem attack by which she does nothing to contribute to the substance of the original complaint rather she berates this guy (if he is actually the same one) for overcoming an apparent 20 year old lapse of judgment that occurred when he was 18 years old and then going on to pass one of the toughest bars in the nation.

Good job Susan, who is your next target/victim? I hear there is an AA meeting tonight you can go to to berate all of the recovering drunks, that should make you feel better about your self.

I agree with Valerie, why do you care so much? Who hurt you?

I was thinking the same thing Valerie.

So considering what Susan posted, this means that:

1. The allegation occurred 20 years ago (1993),

2. Using the birthday in the info she posted, this would make him 18 years old,

So to put on my lawyer's hat, I would have to say that Susan is using the logical fallacy called an ad hominem attack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem) by which she does nothing to contribute to the substance of the original complaint rather she berates this guy (if he is actually the same one) for overcoming an apparent 20 year old lapse of judgment that occurred when he was 18 years old and then going on to pass one of the toughest bars in the nation.

I agree with Valerie, why do you care so much? Who hurt you?

Susan, you seem to have the inside scoop on this firm, what gives? With your half a dozen or so posts you must have an axe to grind, what are you a jilted lover of one of them, disgruntled associate or employee?

Why are you so angry?

Just curious

I'm speechless. Florida is backwards.

On second thought Dave here you go...thank Google.

RYAN MILLHORN