No Work/Life Balance, Weird Situations

I was hired by a company called Midwest Elite Group, based in Sharonville, Ohio. The job ad was very vague, as in you couldn't gleam from the website what you would actually be doing for work. After getting past my first round interview, I was brought back for my second round interview and was called back to be hired. My interviewer at the time told me we were going door to door based on appointments that were already (emphasis on already) set up, and we closed the deal. Honestly I saw through the bs but I figured if she could do it why couldn't it. Throughout the next few months going door to door was, fun? It wasn't something I despised, it taught me work ethic and a kind of mentality that I could take wherever I go. The real issue lied with my manager. She was a recent promoting owner so she was learning the ropes, she pulled in so many people based on false truths, but I made great money so I wasn't going to ruin that. So if I found door to door sales fun, and I made decent money for someone with no responsibilities, why did I leave? -Everything is a pitch. There is no originality and the goal is to make the interviewer feel like they are the top 1% of new hires. In actuality, 3-4 people start a day because management is desperate for salesmen. -During Campaign meetings, my manager would continuously bring up the fact about how much money she made, one time she actually bigged herself to say that she made $161/hr. It was awkward because I know that no one believed her, or at least I hope they didn't. -I was under the impression it was a 9/hr a day job, with 5 hour Saturdays optional or very few in between. In actuality its a 10-11/hr day job work 5-6 days a week. In addition to that, management would actually pressure sales reps who didn't hit goal to actually work Sundays. Or push them to work 9 hours on Saturdays. I was working 55 hours a week. There is no work life balance, the system actually traps you so you can't do anything but work, or quit the day of. You also use your own car, which management doesn't help to pay gas. -The Highs are very High, and the Lows are very Low. When you reach goals the whole office acts like you are on top of the world, and when you don't, literally everything falls apart. I've seen it happen to other people as well as myself during the last few weeks I worked there. - During interviews Business trips are talked as if they are only for the esteemed reps, in actuality anyone can go to them if you are half decent at sales. They don't tell you that you have to use your own car to drive to different states or cities until the day of, and you have to sleep in the same house as the other promoting managers, even share the same bed. The entire situation regarding business trips are extremely weird. One team visited from another state, and a girl was under the impression they were staying at a hotel until she literally found out the day of (after traveling 8 hours) she was supposed to share a BED with the manager. I don't know what happened to her after that, no one talked about her. Which goes into my next point. -You don't know what happens to people when they are fired or quit. You don't even know which one it is, it is forbidden to talk about the former hires, and my manager writes them off like trash during morning meetings, I wonder if she did that to me too honestly. The only way to find out information is to ask co workers, and lots of times you hear completely different stories compared to the people who still work there to the ones who don't. -It's a "people helping people" business which means it's very similar to pyramid scheme. You never know if someone is helping you because they genuinely care for you or because it will help them reach their goals. -Lastly the whole environment is like a cult, my boss preached about financial and personal freedom, but she didn't have any of that. Her bonuses weren't a lot, she seemed not to have a life outside of work, stressed easily, a lot of times the whole office was under a weird tense environment, and it was obvious Cydcor controlled every aspect of her office even though it was "her" company. The list I contrived above is very "light". There are several situations that were extremely sketchy and just shocking to find out which eventually put the final cap on me leaving. I would rather not disclose those because if my former manager found out they would immediately know who I was, and know how I got my information, I wouldn't want to get anyone else who still works there in trouble. There are some pros to the business though. You learn a time of work ethic going door to door that you wouldn't learn anywhere else, and it teaches you a "go get em" mentality. If you can work 55 hours a week, it makes going back to a normal career that much easier. The business is so vague since it is a branch of Cydcor, you can spot the same type of business (under a different name) from a mile away if you every applying for different jobs. How do you know? Their recruiters reach out to you first, not the other way around. I liked my time at the office, everyone I worked with was nice, but the environment is not a healthy one. You can't have a life outside of work or else it isn't for you, you could make it to management also, just be prepared to find out some cold truths and stick with it. Do I recommend people to work here? Only for a few weeks to take as much information in as possible, that's all it's good for. I hope everyone is doing good, I can just imagine how the office is now. My advice to management? You're awesome outside of work, but be more real in the office.
ID

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article