Mercedes Benz not honor warranty for their dealer's fault

Update by user Jan 18, 2018

it's STOPPED in the mid of traffic, not STARTED. Sorry for the typo

Original review posted by user Jan 18, 2018
On late August 2017, I bought this 2015 MB GLA 250 from a small dealer in Ohio and on the first day of delivery, the car showed a check engine signal. The dealer brought the car to Mercedes Benz of Pittsburgh, a local Bobby Rahal auto dealership running under the MB name. After checking it out, they determined it's the coolant pump issue and they fixed/replaced the pump, and the error message was gone when I get the car back. The car was barely driven and on 12/17/2017, I drove the car on the high way during traffic hours. A check coolant sign came up with a beep, so I switched to the middle lane to get off the nearest exit where I know a pepboys is nearby. After driving about 3 mins, the car started to go limpy and bumpy, and started in the mid of the traffic, a lot of smoke came out of the hood. I was OK that it was during the traffic hours, so all car drove slowly. A police car called in a tow-car and towed my car to the curbside to clear the traffic. I was able to open the hood, and the coolant splashed everywhere inside the hood. I had the car towed to the MB Pittsburgh as the mileage was around 47k, and it's still under the warranty. The mechanics first contacted me said the engine was completely seized up and it's a major repair. He can see the coolant pump was serviced and repaired, so I should go after the shop who made the repair. I told him the pump work was done just at his shop. He said he needs to speak with a MB USA rep and there was no news back in two weeks, then he called me saying that they cannot honor the warranty to cover the repair, I have to speak with MB USA. I did not waste my time with him and I contacted MB USA to file the case. MB USA contacted me back and saying they cannot honor the warranty due to two factors-1. the pump repair did not specify what filter and fluid were used; 2. the previous owner skipped the 20k mile service, therefore, the manufacture warranty was voided. Also he specifies this is the final decision from the MB USA corporate side, and there is no supervisor I can speak with. I googled and called a few lemon car lawyer and they do not want this case because the difficulties to prove the pump was a direct cause to the engine seized up, and the missed 20k mile service has little relationship with the incident. They suggest me to contact the attorney general in my area for solutions. If you have any similar experiences, please comment below. Any suggestions are appreciated. The out of pocket cost waiting for me is roughly 20k to replace the engine.
ID
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Product
2015 Mercedes Benz Gla 250 Car
Pros
  • Clean workspace
Cons
  • Warranty
  • Response time
Reason of review
Warranty issue
Loss
$20000
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article