Danny T Nds

McDougall Lodge - It’s A Big Rip Off - Image 3
Updated by user Jul 20, 2022

With airfare and lodging out $22,000.00

Original review Jul 20, 2022
Bought this trip through Houston Safari . Trip was for King Salmon fishing. Alaska posted King fishing shut down June 16th. Our trip was June 23Rd. Owner calls day before to ask about mix for drinks, never mentioned King Salmon was shut down until after arriving. The accommodations are terrible, Cabins no bathroom, only outside , rooms no AC, hot , windows with torn screens, mesquites were awful, in your bed, had to out cover over our heads, shared bathroom with four others. Food awful, fishing only for Pike. Did not pay for Pike fishing. Four grown men in a 16ft John boat, no tackle, several violations in the two days we stayed. Got out of there as soon as we could. More violations after we left, plus wrecked a boat. Do not waste your money .
Loss:
Pros:
  • Non
Cons:
  • Misrepresenting themselves and lodge

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: DO Not Book with this Outfitter Other great places to fish in Alaska.

Guest

Danny. I’m sorry you felt so negative about your experience.

I was there during that time as the Housekeeping and Kitchen Manager. I have to disagree with you on some of your issues. The food was outstanding. I didn’t see you turning down any meals during your 4 day stay.

We had a top notch chef. Tony went above and beyond in his ability to serve delicious food. As far as sharing a bathroom with 4 other people, you were the lucky one to get to have a flushing toilet. The rest of us used an outhouse.

That included staff. Your room was cleaned everyday and beds were made. Yes, there were mosquitos. We all endured those pesky things.

McDougall Lodge is in a remote area. So, the luxuries you are used to were not feasible. As far as the fishing goes, McDougall Lodge owners had no control of what the state of Alaska did. You were informed that it was catch and release of Kings only.

Then the state closed it down. There were not multiple citations given to the guides. Only 2 minor incidents were cited. I feel you wrongfully gave a bad review so you could get a refund.

That was not honest on your part as you were there for 4 days. Funny how another family of 6 were there during the same time you were there and they left a glowing review. Nothing but praise.

Hope you have a good life! DH

map-marker Baltimore, Maryland

Bait and Switch

My daughter received a 'free' trip at a drawing at the National Finals Rodeo with another paying customer. So she and her dad made plans then COVID hit. My daughter is active duty military and is scheduled overseas in June 2021 and could not take the rescheduled time. She had to forfeit her $2,000 reservation fee. Be careful future customers. A company that would do this.....may be a pretty poor trip.

STOLE OUR MONEY

Covid 19 outbreak everything going to *** ,we cancel the trip and receive money back from hotels ,airfares and NOTHING FROM MCDOUGALL LODGE
Cons:
  • Lots of cons

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: FIND A REAL FISHING OUTFITTER

Macel Yzm

King salmon season not open

I was encouraged by McDougall Lodge to book a king salmon fishing trip for 2019. Their website main page currently claimed up to 100 kings caught per day in 2018. Just found out that king fishing is not even open for the 2019 on their river.
Reason of review:
Not as described/ advertised
Shadiamond Clq

The same thing has happened to us. Booked for 6 with a $9,870 deposit he won't return.

Sent the deposit in December 2018, notified in January 2019 about the Kings. Requested deposit returned and not here yet May 2019.

reply icon Replying to comment of Shadiamond Clq

Contact the Better Business Bureau. Does not sound right.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1692421

We found that kings were closed on their river in 2018 as well, so that should have been disclosed to anyone booking for 2019. There website on the other hand showcases great king fishing.

View more comments (2)
map-marker Anchorage, Alaska

Dont go fishing with McDougall

I had expected friendly family service when arriving at McDougalls. Just like all the other places in Alaska that I have visited. NOT the case here. All the guides did was ride us up and down the river at reckless speeds. They buzzed others who were wading in the river to fish. Not very professional or courteous. They think they own the river. Guide did not help me catch fish at all. He just complained about the water level of Lake Creek. If you are looking for a true Alaska fishing trip this is not the place to come, if you enjoy fast boat rides from sand bar to sand bar then this is the place.
Pros:
  • Lake creek
Cons:
  • Guides
Reason of review:
Poor customer service
map-marker Helena, Montana

Miss the old owners

The Floyd's (previous owners) used to run an awesome, personal experience. The new owners are like trying to manuever your cart at Wal-Mart while avoiding on-coming traffic. This place needs some serious organizational re-structuring. Not a better place to fish than Lake Creek, but I'm looking at other operations focusing on service and personal attention. I just feel like the staff cares, but has no idea of where they need to be. Our fishing time was not maximized and we were told to operate on a different schedule than what we were promised. Attitude was a big left hook.. I felt a lot of it every time we posed a question.
Loss:
Guest

Why change a good thing.. they always want to change a good thing.

Get bigger. Get more complicated.

EpicStudios
map-marker Salt Lake City, Utah

McDougall Lodge Alaska

The last three years I have been to McDougall Lodge to go fishing in Alaska. Through these years I have had some of the best fishing experiences in my life! The new owners have obviously invested a lot of time and money into upgrading the logde. The managers and guides are very professional and friendly, and seemed to know the rivers better than any other lodge guides that i have previously experienced at Lake Creek. They are well trained and very knowledgable on taking their large boats through out Lake Creek. I noticed other fishing guides from other lodges talking to McDougall's guides trying to find out where the fish were. The McDougall guides always had us catching our limit. I can not say that for the other lodges. I would recommend McDougall Lodge to anyone.
Guest

Positive review written by owner from Salt Lake City. Not my experience at all at Mcdougall Lodge.

Guest

Sounds like you just like to kill fish. The experience should be more than that, especially in Alaska.

You don't come here to kill your limit every day. My family loves to catch and release to say we preserved the 'last great fishery.' Honestly our experience here was sub-par. I like the people, but for what we pay to do this, I would rather pay a bit more and get the ultimate in quality experience.

That's just not what we experienced at this place. :sigh

Guest

I visited McDougall Lodge in August 2009.I found the lodge very accomadating in all phases of their operation.

Guest

Obviously written by the owner Ron Jewett, what a joke.

Guest

Type Labor Ready in the search option located in the upper left hand side of this page and you will see everyones complaints....... :roll

View more comments (4)
Laretha Feh

Mcdougall Lodge, Lake Creek Alaska

I just recently spent 4 days fishing at McDougall Lodge on Alaska's Lake Creek. McDougall lodge is located just off the Yentna River. Although the area is beautiful and fishing is quite good, I was very disappointed in the operation. The guides operated in cowboy fashion, driving recklessly in their "much too large and powerful" boats. I did not feel safe, nor confident in their abilities. It seems like they are always trying to ferry us from place to place rather than actually guide us and get to know us. The guides at McDougall were not attentive and their fishing style was not up our alley. The lodge seems to have big plans for growth and development and are straying from the close and personal touch we all expect from a remote Alaskan lodge. It's too bad as I hear the previous owners ran a very small and close-knit camp. I will never return as I can see where these guys are trying to go with their "corporate fishing camp."
Guest

i have gone 3 times so far with my friend Gary, and going again this year Aug 2015 i thought it was absolutely fine, the food was great the fishing was too, are you there to catch fish or make friends. You can do both, Cut people some slack once in a while you don't know what there days been like.

mike kelly colorado

Guest

I have been to McDougall Lodge for the last 3 years now and am returning this year with one of my sons and Grandson. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone.

Rick and Nancy are wonderful hosts and the guides are very professional.

Chef Tony puts on great meals also. The only negative is I always gain weight and trip goes too fast.

Guest

Corporate-run operation... Way un-organized.

I liked the area, but I felt like I was treat as if cattle in a cattle drive. We were left on the beach of the river for 30 minutes after stepping off the float plane. Our guide apologized for \'mis-communication\' as if they had no idea we were even coming.

Seems like the guests here like to party, not to fish. I want to come back to Lake Creek, but next time a different operation than McDougall Lodge.

Guest

Way below our expectations... Wouldn't recommend.

Guest

I have gone to the lodge 5 times we have always had a great time and treated very friendly and the fishing has been great we look forward to going back again

Guest

My son and I had a great trip. Would do. It again any time.

Guest

Rick I enjoyed our talk. Hope we can do something about Cottonwood and Lake Creek Lodge also Kingpoint. My email is gsvendsen@***.net and my phone# is 907-345-****.

Guest

Been to McDougal several times, Great place, great family atmosphere, wonderful large grassy area that eliminates alot of the mosquito marsh infested areas. A beautiful place to go and enjoy catching lots of fish.

Caught all species of salmon there.

would refer it to anyone. :grin

Guest

Been there loved it,you need a row boat and cane pole and the way you sound who the *** would want to get to know you.

Guest

McDougall Lodge has changed quite a bit from 5 years ago so old and new should not be compared. Not sure why the family atmosphere of the old was not preserved. The Floyd's used to run a great camp and I miss them!

View more comments (13)

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article