Ripped Off

Mccullough Auto Care - Ripped Off
2003 Nissan Altima failed emissions test with a bad number 3 cylinder coil, on board computer shows the same. took my car in for repair and gave the failed emission test to service rep. and told them that was the problem. They charged me a diagnostic fee of $109.50 and stated that was for pulling the coil and stress testing it to make sure that was the problem. They charged me $16.43 for shop supplies and added insult to injury by over charging me for the coil $139.50 (NAPA stores have the Hitachi coil for $104.00) and two hours of labor to replace it, ( if the coil was already out for stress testing as stated, why did it take two hours to replace it) or did they rip me off for the diagnostic fee. They didn't finished car the same day and didn't call to inform me.

Nobody ever sells a part to the end consumer for the wholesale do-it-yourself price . Ordinarily, markups range from 30-200 % and you shouldn't be surprised by the fact that you were charged more than the counter price had you been your own mechanic.

Regarding the small charge for "shop supplies", I don't think that's right or fair because those things are (ostensibly) included in the cost of doing business, as "expense" items.Summary : you didn't get unreasonably jerked by anyone except that $16.43 and it was certainly far more convenient than diagnosing, obtaining the parts and tools, and repairing a 15 years old car yourself. If your time is worth anything at all to you, you should probably appreciate their efforts which will not be free.

Does the car function correctly now ? How much $ does that save you over buying a new car or using a transportation service for your daily requirements ?

Sandy Springs, Georgia
Cons
  • Communication of readiness and over charges
Pricing issue
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

McCullough Auto Care in Sandy Springs should be avoided

At approx. 7 PM, on Dec. 23rd, (Christmas Eve), my pickup ran out of gas on Hammond Rd, in Sandy Springs, Ga., despite the gas guage clearly displaying aprox. 1/8 tank of fuel. I've had this pickup since I bought it new 10 years earlier. Without a phone, I had to walk in freezing temperature, 1/4 mile to Whole Foods on Hammond Rd. to use their phone to call my son for help. He had just flown from in from San Francisco to be part of a wedding in Atlanta. He had to immediately leave the wedding, (in tuxedo) to rescue me. He reached me within 1/2 hour, arriving as Sandy Springs Police and A Tow were hauling my pickup away. The gas guage has always been accurate before McCullough's Auto Care & Towing replaced my fuel pump on 11/29/17. (The gas guage's sending unit is part of the fuel pump.) Sandy Springs police authorized A Tow to haul my vehicle to A Tow's impound yard in Alpharetta Ga. I needed to have my truck towed from the impound facility to McCullough's Auto Repair in Sandy Springs, but McCullough's were closed from Dec. 23 - Dec. 25th. On Tuesday morning, Dec. 26th I got a ride to the impound facility and had to pay A Tow $347, (cash), to get my truck released and have A Tow haul my pickup, via flat-bed wrecker, back to McCullough's Auto Repair in Sandy Springs to fix the fuel guage problem. The problem was clearly related to McCullough's recent replacement of my fuel pump. On Nov. 29th, I paid McCullough's Auto Repair $434.66 to replace my truck's fuel pump. Despite their markup of over 50% on the cost of the pump, I was led to believe it had been replaced correctly. (I was wrong!) McCullough's kept my Toyota Tacoma from Dec. 26th - Dec. 29th. McCullough's owner, Eric McCullough, repeatedly insisted there was nothing wrong with their fuel pump installation. Eric later denied admitting my gas guage showed adequate gas in tank when my vehicle was brought in. Eric told me he replaced their new fuel pump with a second new fuel pump, (untrue) and it registered the same, (clearly untrue) He also claimed to have put seven gallons of gas into the tank to test the guage, (also untrue). They kept my pickup another day to test further. The following morning, Friday, Dec. 29th, Brian McCullough, one of their technicians and brother of owner Eric McCullough, phoned me at home and excitedly informed me he had discovered the problem with the fuel guage. He told me he found the float arm, (part of their newly installed fuel pump) had been installed incorrectly and caused the fuel float indicator to get stuck on an internal baffle inside the gas tank. (The baffle serves to minimize fuel from sloshing back and forth inside the tank.) Brian told me, "he remedied the problem and the guage now reads correctly." (It does !) On 12/29/17 both Eric and Brian McCullough agreed this was what caused the gas guage to get stuck, thereby misrepresenting the amount of fuel in the gas tank; directly causing my truck to run out of gas on the side of Hammond Rd. Sandy Springs, Ga. Christmas Eve, hike 1/4 mile in freezing weather, without a phone and forced me to pay A Tow $347 for towing and storage charges to A Tow. On 12/29/17 I gave Eric and Brian McCullough a copy of my paid invoice ($347) from A Tow. I expect McCullough's to reimburse me for their costly and inconvenient negligence. They didn't deny their obligation at that point but asked, "if I'd give them a couple of days for them to try to work out something with A Tow." They ignored me until 1/8/18 when Brian McCullough phone me at home. Brian refused to reimburse me the $347, claiming, "I should have stayed in the car." This is preposterous ! Would you, your wife or any reasonable person continue to remain in a freezing, disabled car, roadside, without a phone overnight? Note - When my 2007 Toyota Tacoma pickup was originally brought to McCullough's Auto Care on 11/19/17. Eric McCullough said I needed a new fuel pump. I told him I'd just had Advance Auto perform an On Board Diagnostic Diagnostic test via the Data Link Connector. They told me it showed no error codes. Eric McCullough's response was, "those error codes don't cover the fuel system." (another lie). I've since learned there are over 20 error codes related to fuel pump malfunctions. This now calls into question whether a new fuel pump was even necessary. Very dissatisfied !
Poor customer service

Auto repair shop admitted botching fuel pump replacement, refuse to reimburse $347 towing charge.

Avoid problems/avoid McCullough's Auto Repair on Roswell Rd, Sandy Springs --Brian McCullough, (by his own acknowledgement) installed a new fuel pump in my vehicle in an unprofessional and negligent manner, causing the fuel guage to stick, showing adequate fuel in tank, when the tank was in fact empty. This left me stranded Christmas Eve, on the side of Hammond Rd in Sandy Springs, at approx. 7 P.M., in freezing temperature. I had to walk 1/4 mile to phone for help. Within 30 minutes Sandy Springs Police had A Tow haul it to their impound lot in Alpharetta, despite my posting a notice on my window that I'd return to my vehicle soon. I had to wait 3 days before I could retrieve my vehicle and pay A Tow $347. The consequence of McCullough's Auto Repairs admitted negligence and unprofessional fuel pump installation cost me $347. They refuse to reimburse me for their screw up. You can't expect quality service from McCulloughs Auto Care. Spend your money elsewhere. VERY disappointed !
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Pros
  • Were less crooked than hendricks toyota of sandy springs
  • Posting their dishonesty to social media sites
Cons
  • Improperly installed fuel pump cost me 347 in towing
  • Lied about diagnostic codes not related to fuel pump
  • Fuel pump marked up over fifty percent
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article