Maxtor not updating to windows 10

I have a Maxtor onetouch4 plus external drive which I bought 8 years ago and had no problem until I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The drive would not work and I went to the Maxtor website to update the software. I typed in the serial number and it was not recognized. Then I went to the list of their products that work with Windows 10 and mine was not listed. There was no mention of Maxtor updating older external drives. It looks like Maxtor is only interested in selling new machines, not maintaining older ones. No doubt there are hundreds of thousands of working Maxtor machines out there that will become useless. Looks like I will have to go back to using Window 7 to retrieve photos and data. I will never buy Maxtor or Seagate products again.

You got lucky. Windows 7 is much better than Windows 10. Stay with what works.

ID
Accra, Greater Accra
Pros
  • Worked well before windows 10
Cons
  • Not working windows 10
Reason of review
Will no update driver to Windows 10
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

SATA Hard Drives are bad technology

Maxtor, Segate, Western Digital I do warranty service work on Computers for a living. (over 6000 PC warranty repairs in the last 4 years) I am posting this notice because I have seen a marked increase in Computer Hard Disk failure with SATA hard drives over IDE or SCSI hard drives. In my experience, in the last 2 years since SATA came out, I have replaced four times as many SATA hard drives as IDE. These hard drives have failed much sooner than their older counterparts. I do not know why this is occurring. Possibly, if manufacturers have switched to lead free solder in the circuit boards, that might explain it. However, i believe that manufactures have just resorted to using cheaper and less reliable components. So if you want to have reliable data storage in your computers, tell the manufacturers that you want computers with faster, more relaible IDE or SCSI hard drives. If you cannot find any, the only resort is to back up your data often. (I would not use an external hard drive because that is SATA too...)

Seagate has admitted a 65% failure rate on their sata drives on first generation. You are seeing alot due to usage patterns by consumers. Those that did not fail in warranty, are failing out of warranty.

ID
Cleveland, Ohio

About

Maxtor Pros and Cons

Pros: Worked well before windows 10

Summary

Maxtor is one of the world's leading suppliers of internal hard drives, external hard drives, portable hard drives, and other file and media storage solutions. The company has an expansive line of storage products for desktop computers, storage systems, high-performance Intel-based servers, and consumer electronics. Maxtor has a reputation as a proven market leader, built by consistently providing high-quality products and service and support for its customers. Maxtor Corporation supplies innovative, leading-edge storage solutions to the world. Products include 3.5-inch hard disk drives; Maxtor Personal Storageâ„¢ with OneTouch, USB 2.0 and 1394 External Storage drives; and interface and video editing accessories. Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006.

Maxtor reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article