Marion Veterinary Hospital attempted to extort money from me!!

I will NEVER return to Marion Veterinary Hospital. We adopted a puppy from the pound who had worms, and needed to have him treated. I was VERY clear to everyone I spoke to at this facility that we could only afford to have this dog treated for the worm issue, as it was the week before Christmas and money was tight. This facility made a big deal out of the fact that they would give us a free visit because we had adopted a pound animal, then once we got there, began high pressure sales tactics to attempt to get me to purchase everything from flea medicine, "preventative medicines", dog food...you name it. I had to state MANY times that we were just here to have the dog treated for worms, and then we would be on our way. I agreed to have a fecal test done on the animal and basic treatment for the worms. I was quoted a price of roughly $36 dollars for the test and the meds. $86 later (I found out later that the specific VERY expensive hookworm meds they insisted I "needed" can be purchased FAR more cheaply from other local vendors), they continued their high pressure sales pitch all the way through the check out, where they insisted that I would need to bring the dog back for another fecal test. I had already decided at this point that I would NEVER be bringing any of my animals back to this facility, as it reminded me more of a used car dealership than a Vet's office. I left the office feeling as if I'd been ripped off (which I had), only to find the harassing emails beginning. I've been averaging 5 "spam" emails from this office per week since the initial visit...trying (again) to high pressure sell everything you can possibly think of that is animal related. Then the phone calls began, attempting to harass me into bringing the dog back in for more (unnecessary) testing. The last straw came today when they tried to call the pound and tell them that I was refusing to have my dog treated for worms...when I have a copy of the $86 receipt from the initial visit AND the dog is now worm free. Thankfully, the pound agreed that these people are scam artists upon hearing the whole story, and did not understand why they were calling to attempt to "tattle" on people who had already treated the animal. In fairness, the worms ARE now gone in the animal...but at a hugely inflated price, with the added aggrivation of their pathetic "thug like" attempts to extort more money out of me. So...moral of the story: Do not EVER take an animal to these people, unless you want to be harassed unmercifully by sad excuses for sales people operating under the guise of Veterinary care providers. This entire experience has been a nightmare, and I'd hate to see anyone else have to go through this!!
ID
Salt Lake City, Utah

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article