Don't EVER hire Manchester Travel Company!

As an inexperienced traveler I made the mistake of hiring Manchester Travel Company to help me plan the first vacation I had taken in over ten years. Unfortunately, the agent I made the mistake of hiring, made unsafe and uncleanly hotel arrangements for my stay in Venice and ended-up costing me $1000 and half of my trip. First of all, she didn't consult me regarding the details of any of the arrangements despite the fact that I constantly reminded her I had never traveled abroad before and only hired a travel agent because I needed guidance and expertise. She handed me the travel documents without explaining anything and only when I questioned her who "GoGo" was did she tell me she had hired an external travel agency without consulting me. She also neglected to tell me that we would arrive in both Rome and Venice in the early morning when our check-in times at the hotels weren't until 2:00 in the afternoon. Next, she booked us on an overnight train and allowed me to believe we would have a private compartment but in fact we were staying with strangers, including an anti-American extremist so we couldn't even sleep. After the overnight train ride from ***, we arrived at our "hotel room" in Venice which was not in the actual hotel; it was in a separate building in an alley with no hotel staff present. Also, the room was filthy with *** in the wall, a grimy shower, and a used tissue on the couch. The hotel staff was rude and led us to the building without so much as an explanation. They treated us horribly, but they weren't as much to blame as Manchester Travel. Once I realized the state of our accommodations I tried to call my travel agent but our phones barely worked. Finally I got through to GoGo and tried to arrange for a flight home but they insisted the earliest they could get us home was the following morning so we were forced to spend the night in an unclean and unsafe "hotel room." At no point during these desperate phone calls did they offer to help us find alternative accommodations and the hotel staff insisted there was no room in the actual hotel for us to stay in. Further, in order to get home, I had to pay another $500 for the flights home on top of all the money I had already wasted on the "hotel room," which went unused for two nights. Stranded in a foreign country and struggling to contact anyone, it would have been nice for my travel agent to at least attempt to reply to the urgent email, but it took her several hours to reply by which point we had already scheduled our flight home. Perhaps the worst part was after we finally made it home, Manchester Travel was unapologetic, refused to give me even a partial refund for the "hotel room" or extra airfare to return home early, and spent all of their energy fighting with GoGo. When I reminded them that I didn't hire GoGo, I hired Manchester Travel, they ignored me and treated me like a child who would eventually tire myself out and shut up. I was treated with complete disrespect and rather than admit she had made serious mistakes, my travel agent lied at every turn to cover her own *** and the owner of the agency defended her calling her a "valued employee." In fact, the owner insisted we were just young kids who were overwhelmed in a foreign country, ignoring the fact that we had handled ourselves just fine in Rome. Manchester Travel is unreliable. Do not make the same mistake I did. They are not trustworthy and, given the chance, will ruin your trip, too. I would have been much better off to make the arrangements myself and will never make the mistake of hiring a travel agent again.
ID
Boston, Massachusetts
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article