Mail It Leawood KS - worst customer service on shipping requirements

This company advertises on its website (www.mailitkc.com) that,"Our staff prides itself on our expertise and understanding of the package transportation network. We know all the rules and tricks that allow us to guide you on the best way to pack & ship your important documents and special items." I took perishable items packed in styrofoam container with dry ice to meet the recipient's travel deadline. Presented to Mail It staff (turned out to be owner, Mr. Shannon Dewey) to send. He checked the package- taped it up and checked shipping charges. He advised that Fed Ex would be cheaper than UPS for same service. I said we have a fed ex account- could we use that for billing. He said sure and presented a label- then said he had to put a dry ice notice with the weight of the dry ice on the front. He retained the package for fed ex pick up- gave tracking number and was to send out with another package going to the same address. Next day the package was delivered via Fed Ex to my office for various shipping violations. Not one of the issues had been mentioned by Dewey. All should have been known to Mail It who advertises such in depth knowledge and which is the reason that store had been visited initially. Called Mr. Dewey to ask about the various rules including a party with a fed ex account having 'authority' to ship such materials as dry ice. He claimed his company is authorized to send out such packages and said he knows how to do that and then he said he had nothing to do with shipping this package as he classified it as a drop off. He said 'you used your account and I have no idea if you are authorized or not.' I asked why he did not raise this as an issue with me in the store. He had no answer. I confirmed that Fed Ex picked up the package from his store and asked why didn't he raise the issue with Fed Ex- ie confirm it could be shipped. He had no answer. When he did talk, he disclaimed any responsibility at all. Turns out not only does a carrier need authorization, but packaging is specific too and Dewey didn't express any knowledge about this either at the store or on the phone. The man is clueless. Obviously his company sells boxes etc at a profit in addition to their mark up for shipping costs. After I took the package to the Federal Express office where a wonderful man crafted an approved box and assured me that the package would be sent, the shipping cost was double what was quoted by Mr. Dewey. The Fed Ex man said there was no way that the cost I was quoted would be appropriate. Based upon information from Fed Ex- Dewey has no knowledge of shipping or packing requirements with that company. I visited Mail It intentionally to work with a professional and have my package sent safely, properly and timely. I got none of that. Instead I got a defensive ***. A company must have integrity and treat its customers properly if it wants to retain and expand its business. This man clearly has no respect for his customers and does not care whether or not he is in business.
ID
Leawood, Kansas

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article