Verified Reviewer

Contractor received 50% up front plus additional payments but left job unfinished

Contractor provided a good price but requires an unusually high deposit of 50% of job cost, even though he did not provide the materials. Contractor continued to ask for additional monies before work was completed, Contractor continued to perform new work and accepted new deposits from others during the time when my work was scheduled. I had six jobs lined up for him to keep him working at my house. He worked three of my six jobs simultaneously and left them incomplete as he continued to collect deposits and start new jobs for others. Three months into my three-week job, he promised to finish the 2 to 3 new jobs he picked up during the last portion of my job and to focus on completing my job. After weeks of not working on my job, he picked up yet additional jobs and deposits and said he could only work half days at my house. A few days later he did not show up to my job, was not answering his phone because he was in a meeting for another job, and then sent me a text the next day that he had too many jobs now, was behind, and would not be able to work at my house any longer. My jobs were left incomplete. Of most concern is the integrity of the roof which was not completed. Contactor removed the supporting beams, but instead of completing the structural support work first, he did sheetrock.

User's recommendation: Get completed work before you pay; otherwise, contractor has no incentive to finish your job.

ID
Pros
  • Provides a good price
  • Work that he does appears of good quality
Cons
  • Takes new deposits and works new jobs during your job
  • Taking on too many jobs and dropping my job in the middle
  • Performing new jobs instead of completing my job
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

How to Hire The Right Contractor And Not Be Scammed

Apr 16, 2021

How to build a home? How to hire the right contractor? Matt DiBarra, with Diabara Masonry, reveals top home construction scams and gives the best tips to consumers on how to find the best contractor.

Read full article
Matt DiBarra
Matt DiBarra

Matt DiBarra is well-known as The Undercover Contractor. He is the owner of DiBara Masonry company in Los Angeles that specializes in house repairs, restorations, and new installations.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article