Long Island Beauty School Reviews

Show reviews that mention
school hair students teachers board state money girl girls drama
Filter review

WORST DONT GO

These people don’t know a thing about hair it is sooo bad I’m so upset of my hair cut it’s so un even.theu girl Liz or liv is a total garbage person. They are super envious and the girls who do hair are garbage as well

Get what you pay for

March 31 i went to libs in hauppauge for cut and color. The young lady was extremely personable however the color was very drab brown i wanted a reddish brown....i get better color from a box dye.....the cut was supposed to be layered....i am still looking for the layers lol. I will now have to get another cut and cant wait till i can color again. Also teacher came by only once while color was setting. I dont blame the young lady she did her best however i will never go back
Hauppauge, New York
Service
Long Island Beauty School Hair Coloring

Long Island Beauty School Program Review from Strongsville, Ohio

I went to this school about 2 years ago. I signed up with the same dream as all the other girls/boys just to be let down. I want people to be aware before they waste their money here. They give you a set of hours you get to miss and these hours are barley enough to get you through the year. They make you pay 2.50 per hour you miss and make you make up the hours on your own time, regardless if you work after school they do not care. I was charged an EXTRA $1200 just to graduate. This school is just the worst. I had a passion in doing hair and make up. I started out thinking this was going to be the best time of my life, learning what I love to do. Just to be let down. I learned that in this industry every person who surrounds you is catty. And I mean EVERY person. I would watch girls pretend to be friends with one girl just to have her turn her back for second and that was enough time to make fun of her. Besides that, the teachers made me feel useless. I had questions I was AFRAID to ask because I felt as if my own teachers were also judging me. They picked their favorites and if you weren't one of them you were not treated equally. I want Long Island Beauty School to know that they've changed my faith in this industry & that I no longer do hair and I haven't since I've graduated that school. They made me feel lower than I've ever felt. I've had no hope in myself since I've went to this school. recently I received a phone call from one of the heads in there and asked to see how I was doing. I refuse to call back. Sorry this is so long but please don't waste your time or money going here.

I'm so very sorry to read about your experience at that school. Breaks my heart.

I can't tell you how many students feel exactly the way you do. I've been in the Beauty Industry for over 18 years and it's been the most rewarding and lucrative experience. I got into education 5 years ago and I've sat with students such as yourself with such excitement and passion only for it to be squashed a couple of months into the program. I've seen it as a Salon Owner, not being able to find hardworking, talented stylist with integrity.

It's a horrible cylcle and the industry has been down graded because of it. That's why I decided to open my own Professional Beauty Academy. I took all of my experience plus everything my past students have complained about and combined that with what Salon Owners are looking for. I added a Business program so my students would graduate with a diploma in Business as well as Cosmetology or Makeup.

Our programs are flipped compared to all the other schools. We focus about 90% on your beauty industry career & skill set and 10% on state board. We run state board drills at the end so your fully prepared to pass your exam for licensure and completely prepared to begin working as a Professional in the Industry upon licensure. The best part is that we are 100% student focused and are committed to your success!

Our tuition is the lowest in NY and we offer the best, top of the line EVERYTHING! We don't believe in debt so our students graduate with zero loans to repay and start making money right away! My point is, it's stories like yours that motivated me to put everything I had on the line and open a school that would DELIVER on its promises and upgrade the industry one professional at a time! Don't give up on your dream!

Constantly educate yourself and work hard.

Despite all the nonsense around you, block it out and focus on your career! You can do it!!!

@PissedConsumer1313160

Good afternoon, Can you email me more information about your beauty school. I am very interested. My email Gmlimehouse@***.com

@PissedConsumer1313160

Please email me info on your school mslittlevoice@***.com

View more comments (2)
Strongsville, Ohio

Long Island Beauty School Program Review from New York City, New York

Im finally out of that horrible school.I don't recommend this school to any one I mean anyone.At first when you come to school you'll be soo excited because this is your dream coming true, that bubble will be popped shortly after.The students in there are mostly focused on DRAMA there pathetic. Most of them sit there and try to act like they already know everything.The teachers are bitter and depressed with their lives so they take it out on the students even the new teachers they hired are useless thru love drama and are very petty especially that Ratchet one Ms.Homes she's pitiful. Ms. Michelle doesn't know *** she's a dunce. Ms.Diane doesn't care about the students. This school is horrible and don't leave your supplies out they will steal them in a heart beat. This school gets 2 thumbs down.
New York, New York

Long Island Beauty School Program Review from New York City, New York

If your looking to gain knowledge this is not the school for you. It's a very unprofessional ghetto establishment. The $1000 kit is trash your ID isn't even included that's an additional $10. The instructors or very unprofessional its pretty much a joke. I'm so happy that I graduated I never have to deal with them again. While attending this "school" as a student I never felt valued. Students would complain on a daily basis about conflicts that there having with their "teachers" and the students are ALL WAYS wrong. The "teachers " are full of drama during my last days of school this summer one of the apprentice teachers (Ms. Holmes) gets into a discussion with a student than discussed it with one of the students (*** black boy)....he agreed with everything she was saying look like he was kissing her *** they seem to be very close. I found that to be very unprofessional,didn't know if she was a student or teacher very immature of her.Ms.Aida walks around as if she's too good to help anyone. Ms.fosters attitude is disgusting but she wants you to do well.I plan on writing to the board of higher education even though I've graduated things need to change. I wish those before spoke up before I came things would probably be different.

You are entitled to your opinion. I will be starting next month as a new student and my main focus will be to learn to become a cosmetologist, anything other than that is irrelevant.

New York, New York
Poor customer service

Staff Review

I agree with you they don't how to treat people. While I was their treat me real bad because I had a disability or color of my skin . God only knew why they did but I forgive hair Desgin . Because end of day God love matter what know take my success away from me.
Delray Beach, Florida
Poor customer service

Worst beauty school! Do not go their!!

This was the most terrible experience my daughter had! All the teachers and staff are very abusive with their mouths. They cursed my child out all day and told her that your not going to be anything when she gets out of this school. The teachers ( if that's what you want to call them) have no talent or skills thats why their there and not in a salon. The students have to change mods every few weeks and every teacher teaches their own way and the students gave no idea which way is right or wrong for state board. Also the students are really bad as well and want to fight all the time. This is a low class school with a very bad element of students and teachers. They need their license revoked. I am calling the state on them ASAP. My daughter has been abused by the students and was afraid to go on break and go to the car and the owner and teachers could of cared less. Ms Green said if you want to kill each other just take it outside not in class. She was the worst! Very evil. Ms. G curses every day and is very abusive. The teachers are not for the students whatsoever! They take each other's side. If one teacher doesn't like you then they tell the other teacher and they torture you as a student. They are not going to get away with this. The state is being called and they will be shut down!!

If your daughter is old enough to go to beauty school she is old enough to do her own complaining. It is time to let her grow up and fight her own battles.

She is being trained to work in the real world and has to learn how to get along with all types of people.

Unless you are there every day to witness what is actually going on you don't know the facts. To me it sounds like your daughter whines to you like a little baby would.

@PissedConsumer842784

Wow you clearly work for the school.. dumb ***!

I will never go there ever!!

Thank goodness I did my research.. you could go play in traffic ***

View more comments (1)
Hauppauge, New York
Loss

Long Island Beauty School - Bad Service Review from Washington, District Of Columbia

this is for anyone looking to sign up for the HAUPPAUGE libs .FIRST OF ALL the admissions lady claudia lies to you . she tells you about how youll be learning extentions ,all the latest waxing and facials .. funny thing is that ISNT included in the 13,900 you pay to go to the school. secondly - you go threw about 11 Mods (classes) EVERY teacher teaches you state board wrong . you finally findout after 10 months the right way if your lucky enough to have mrs. G . next- they get you all excited for clinic 1 , cutting room and the color room when in reality all the teachers are VERY rude. ms linda loos for reasons to yell at you ms a has a attitude and ms choune is the nastiest of them all . they all care about servicing the clients rather then teach us . i only know a basic cutt and how to do a touch up after 9 months of being there . you pay so much money but its not enough for them because they force you to do clients or you get sent home . they try and get you with a " what are you gonna do in the salom when you get a client not help them" cause theyd rather u make them money then learn. i missed out on many forms of cutting styles and many ways of dying hair and you can beg them to show you how to do whatever it was the next day and theyll refuse. okay now lets talk about staying after to makeup hours .. if you want to practice styles on your friends hair theyll cause a HUGE scene .. i mean its hair school if we want to practice hair in our free time we should be aloud ! ms greene the supervisor is a very nasty lady . sometimes nice but mostly nasty . to graduate you need to complete 5 tests "A-E tests" and you need to go to the front desk to ms bosco to get each test and she gives you the BIGGEST problem getting one meanwhile thats all she does. every few weeks the school has demonstartions and everyone gathers together to watch , but the school still accepts clients which makes the students servicing that cliente miss out on learning a new skill. i liked the sound of taking clients everyday unlike boces who takes clientes only fridays but now exsperincinh it i wish it was only fridays this way i would of learned . at 11 oclock libs gives students a 15 minute break which most students use that time to eat & teachers will constantly complain they shouldnt be eating meals its just a coffee break which is annoying considering most students go straight to work after school which means 11 is only chance they get to eat , personally its annoying. ms pams the one who complains about it the most meanwhile she takes that time to eat a meal. the school had roaches in the clinic 1 . i wanted to state all of those reasons because when i went to sign up the only background i had is what claudia told me which wasnt all true . if i were to go back in time id choose patchauge or riverhead boces because libs wasnt worth it at all. i hope yhis helps

Thank you so much for this review I was considering libs, not anymore. Sorry you had to experience such horror in something that you're passionate about and should only experience knowledge and pleasure.

Washington, District Of Columbia

Hair twisting

Long Island Beauty School - Hair twisting
The student began to shampoo my hair and blow dry my hair. She asked me how big do you want the twist. I told her I want them really big. She tried to curl the ends with hot water and burned my scalp as a result. And then she blow dried my hair. The ends was not curled. They was very unprofessional.When she finished I looked at my hair and noticed that the twist was small and that their was alot of spot that wasn't covered. I complained to the manager and she said it wasn't anything she could do about.

First of all your scalp is soooooo thin anyway how in the world you asking the students for big twist and you are bald. The big twist would make your scalp appear even more Thin sorry that not the student problem that's your problem.

Read the first two words of your story...."The Student".....you went to a school expecting expert salon results.....willing to bet you got this done at cost or below as well....vice having to pay full salon prices. stop whinning

@gerald claude

View more comments (2)
Hempstead, New York

$13,000 Sick Joke.

Long Island Beauty School in Hempstead is the biggest joke and waste of money and time. The tuition is about $13,000, which is appealing at first, but in only a few short weeks you will learn that the phrase "You get what you pay for" applies. Ms. Cynthia is a sweet heart but a flat out liar. She is aware of all of the BS that goes on yet still will tell you what you want to hear to get you in the door. Mr. Frank is the biggest cheap *** there is. Everything is money money money, he sells old beat up supplies that students have left, he charges for every little thing and the $800 kit you pay for is ***. It wouldn't even style a barbie's hair. Your supplies either break or stop working within weeks, even days, and YOU have to PAY for a replacement, even though the equipment provided for you is cheap and faulty. The educators in this facility are the biggest joke. First of all, this school is in THE HOOD. 90% of the school is hood rat black girls who can't get into college. They are constantly starting fights and disrupting any sort of sub-par education you are trying to receive. Ms. Foster can't even read, yet she's teaching a class; Ms. Myrta is a floozy who is always on something, popping pills and cooing over her latest diet trends, Ms. Linda plays favorites, doesn't explain something if you don't understand it, gets in your business, and is a straight up ***. Ms. Rachelle... don't even get me started. She is the biggest drama queen. She thinks she's hot ***, will talk down to you like you are a peasant, and all she does is sit on her phone and talk to a new guy every week instead of instructing you. The only person I learned ANYTHING from in this school is Ms. Diane. This woman is the sweetest woman I have ever met. She has a wonderful story behind her and she genuinely cares about her students. She will give out her personal cell phone number to make sure you get the help you need. She is wonderful and she deserves *** of a lot more money than that cheap *** pays her. This school is a free for all. It is literally a circus. I know beauty school is only to teach the basics, but you barely learn that here. I passed my State board because I taught myself the material from the text book, and I worked closely with Ms. Diane and found an apprenticeship. (with no help from LIBS) My first week there some spanish girl threatened to hit me in the face with a hot curling iron because I wouldn't tell her how to properly roll a barrel curl during a hands on exam. And NOTHING was done about it. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND FIND A BETTER SCHOOL. COMMUTING TO MANHATTAN MAY SEEM LIKE AN EXPENSE, BUT IN THE END YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. I feel so ripped off and cheated out of a decent education; however I put all I could into it and worked with the right teacher and obtained my license. That was no help to LIBS though, So please.. if you are looking for good help... and a good education.. DO NOT go here.

Not defending the terms used here, but in my experience at this school the 90% "hood rat" population was of all types of nationality/race. I wouldn't say that's a nice way to put it, but the quality of students who attended of ALL races really was not that great.

It was a very difficult environment to learn in as there were so many disruptive students, and the teachers didn't seem to care about teaching anyway. I will reiterate from these posts that Ms. Diane was the most dedicated to her students. Ms.

Laurine taught me alot, but I had to ask her personally to sit with me and demonstrate and discuss. I guess that's what happens after years of disruptive students though, I'm sure teaching is difficult when you only have a handful of students really pulling their weight to succeed. Ms. Laurine and I wound up developing a great mentor-student relationship once she realized how much I truly wanted to learn.

I didn't enjoy my time at the school but I took what lessons I could and got through it. As 1 of only 2 Caucasian students during my enrollment, I had a handful of wonderful girls, (black, Dominican, Korean) all who were willing to teach me the differences in hair textures and genetics of different hair. It definitely was a lot of what you made it, but I do really think this school needs some sort of evaluation and revamping.

Instructors, curriculum, modernized techniques. It could be a great school again, but it seems that the drive and ambition of the staff and instructors has really fallen to the wayside.

Made valid points but she sounds like a rasict ***

OMG I went through *** there.

They do everything on an old paper system that they themselves can't even keep track of!!

I had so many missing grades for exams that I had taken, and so many missing hours for days that I was there. They are such thieves! The only reason I didn't get stuck retaking tests or getting held back in the program was that I saved EVERY answer sheet with the date on it and what subject it was! YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR OWN HOURS, ABSENCES AND GRADES.

Otherwise they will scam you out of more money. I have no idea how they are still an accredited school. Ms. Laurine quit while I was there, Ms.

Foster walked out of a class after fighting with a student, Ms. Sylvia retired, Ms. Rachelle actually became a teacher (that's a joke all in itself) Ms. Myrta..

i couldn't understand a word she said, I taught myself all there is about Haircolor. Mr. Frank took a student's number from the computer and texted her about getting coffee and going out for drinks and stuff.. it's such a joke.

The school is 90% hood rat, 8% Dominican housewife, 1.5% korean/thai/asian and .5% white girl just trying to learn. I hated it. I did the same thing too.. i taught myself and studied the text book and worked with Ms.

Diane to pass my state board. I got my license thank god, but I've paid for even more training because I didn't learn about anything there. I should send the bill to Mr. Frank and have him pay for my extra education because I paid more money to learn the things his school should have taught me.

I bet his father is rolling over in his grave. That school was wonderful when it first opened, I had family go there. This cheap skate ruined it.

I wonder how the one in hauppauge is.. anyone know about that?

@PissedConsumer669704

I heard it's full it it also too bad but the one in nyc is good I hear!

:roll

@PissedConsumer669704

So what race is the "90% hood rat"?

View more comments (4)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article