Gave a 2500.00 deposit for marine electronics and labor for installation. Did not do job, equipment he purchased was inferior. Dropped some equipment on boat and kept money.

Lightning marine gave estimate and completion date of May 1, 2018 on April 9. We gave a 2500.00 deposit. We called on May 4 to see when he would be on board to do job. He told of back order of some equipment, and said maybe on the 9th. we explained we really needed him to honor contract. He became abusive on phone and said he was busy and would drop off what he had received since he could not return it. May 5 he left the equipment in parking lot of marina. We have no idea how to install or even if it is the correct equipment. Other technicians will not look at job since they have no knowledge of equipment he purchased. We now have boxes of useless material and out the 2500.00 deposit. We are in our 70's and have always had honest contractors so maybe we should have been more discerning. he had Colorado plates on his truck, yet claims to be a Jacksonville based business. All we can hope for is that other people do not get taken in by Lightning Marine.

This complaint is based on lies. The BBB Of NorthFlorida also recieved a complaint and my reply is stated below .

On April 6th, I was contacted by a currently closed company called Jackson Marine for an estimate for John Whitford and Lucy Whitford. Upfront, Mr. Whitford complained to me of former bad experiences he encountered from contractors in the Jacksonville area. They also expressed their apprehension of hiring anyone in Jacksonville.

I attempted to relieve his anxiety by assuring the customer that my image in the marine electronics industry is important to me, my work is highly sought after and that I will always put the highest quality into my work. The customer was apologetic for the first offensive email insulting local businesses and contractors that was forwarded to me by Jackson Marine.As I attempted to ease the customers stress and work with his parsimony, I cut several labor hours from the bill in order to fit the $4,672.61 job within their limited budget of $3,400. I was extremely compassionate to their situation and wrote their estimate for approximately $3,200. In doing so, I had not charged the customer for the cost of time on the two estimates performed on the weekend, travel time, cables, connectors, or for the shop time used to prep for the job, in essence saving them nearly $1500.

The estimate included a Garmin 94SV, Garmin VHF/AIS 210, Shakespeare VHF antenna switch, GMI 20 digital marine instrument, Navpod 3 Instrument mount and Navpod mount for the 94SV. The customer was promptly informed that I was unable to order the 94SV through my normal distributor because that particular model was discontinued. After insisting that he would like me to order that specific model through and online site of his choice, I did so against my standard protocol. On April 11, I called Mr.

Whitford and explained the item was placed on backorder until May 2nd. On May 2nd, I received an email from The GPS Store informing me that the order was delayed until the 9th. On May 4th, I received an email from the customer requesting a status update. I promptly called and apologized for the delay of my response and explained to Lucy Whitford that when the 94SV arrived I would begin the installation within the hour.

I offered to install the items I had already received; however, she insisted that we wait until the 94SV arrived.Less than one hour later, I received another email berating my work ethic and misplacing blame of the delays onto me. This company was chosen by him against my better recommendations. Please see his email: When we originally talked with you we told you of our poor (as in incompetant experience with Dave The rigger.) We now are finding us in the same position with you, the date of May 1st was given by you. We understand a delay in acquiring etc, but today you spoke with Lucy and told her you were very busy and business has picked up etc.

This is not our problem, we find we have been reasonable, and the only time we have heard from you is when we reach out and then it is an excuse or delay. What is your plan? Our plan is to get ALL of our money back and go elsewhere, chalking this all off to another “Jacksonville” experience. Please develop a plan to complete the invoice paid for and a true finish date.

or return all of the deposit of 2500.00 dollars. John Whitford 401-212-**** (Lucy) 904-252-****(John) After much deliberation, I decided that the customer would not be happy with any work I performed. I had already reduced the cost of my work by 800 dollars. I also lowered the retail price of all of the customer’s items adding only enough markup to cover shipping costs.

Please see my email:On Sat, May 5, 2018, 4:22 PM Lightning Marine wrote:Good afternoon John and Lucy,I first would like to say that I understand your frustration with the unexpected time frame of the parts and the job not being completed within 2 weeks as stated during the 2nd estimate. Please understand, I ordered outside of my preferred distributor for you to attain a closeout deal for a discontinued display. The display was then placed on backorder and the projected date provided by the sales rep from TheGpsStore was inaccurate and the date was pushed back further. I apologize for not getting with you immediately after learning that information.I have received all of the other parts for your job.

The cost was $2,631.47, tax would be $182.31 for a final price of $2,813.78. The $2,500 dollar deposit was to purchase the necessary parts to complete your job. Please note, All sales are final once I receive the order as I am unable to return items unless there is damage caused during shipment.When we first spoke, I was very sympathetic to your previous experience. I did not include on the invoice the 3 hours of travel time , 1.5 hours for the two estimates and As a courtesy estimated 4 hours on a job that Would most certainly have taken 8 hours to compete properly.

For you, I lowered the cost of my services and only calculated the price of the items to cover shipping costs . I operate my business with integrity and I am not one to put the wool over anyone's eyes .Your approach to me appears to have been influenced by your previous experience with someone else’s work, not of my own. Due to the several unwarranted attacks (both before and after the estimate) on my character and workmanship, I would like to inform you that I will not conduct any more business with you outside of the sale of your electronic equipment and will not perform the install reflected in the estimate or invoice. I will cancel the order with TheGpsStore and return the $549.99 for the display.

I will also deliver the Ais/Radio, antenna duplexer, Instrument display, and navpods today.I am currently in the area and would like to deliver the parts as soon as possible.Respectfully,Andrew MinardLightning Marine ElectronicsI contacted John for direction on delivering equipment he purchased with the $2,500 dollar deposit. I was told to put the items in the cabin of his boat. While I was in my truck updating their invoice to remove the installation fees, John walked up to my truck and demanded his equipment. I did not leave any equipment in a parking lot.

I had all items listed on his invoice except the Garmin 94SV which was canceled. Before carefully looking at all of the parts, he accused me of not having all the items he ordered. I offered to go over the invoice and individually match it to what was returned to him. He refused my offer.

He then unpacked the box of equipment and threw the large, empty box at my truck which then bounced off of my truck and slammed into my legs. In spite of his bad attitude and poor manners, I maintained my composure and professionalism. The price of the Equipment he received totaled $2,160.85. I deducted that amount from the $2,500 dollar deposit and rounded up his refund to $340.00.After a John walked off with his parts in his wagon, I sent this email to further explain the scenario.From: Lightning MarineSent: Saturday, May 5, 2018 5:33:37 PMTo: Lucy WhitfordSubject: Re: Electronics installation S/V Lucy Please review the invoice the total for the parts received was 2160.85 I deducted this from the deposit leaving a credit of 339.15.In my 10 years in business, I have never had a customer speak toward me in such an ill-tempered manner.

I am very sympathetic of your previous experience with a prior contractor and I truly wanted to provide a pleasant transaction. And I am saddened that our experience with each other did not end on a better note.Andrew MinardLightning Marine ElectronicsAt this point, I have done everything I could possibly do to accommodate Mr and Mrs Whitford. I will not work with people that constantly berate me and my work. As a business owner, I have the right to choose at will who I perform work for.

I have made a conscientious decision to return the parts Mr Whitford paid for as well as a refund for the remainder of his deposit. I acted with the utmost respect and professionalism toward the Whitfords, I will continue to stand by my decision to discontinue further work with this customer.

@PissedConsumer1489105

Good response

THIS CUSTOMER LOST NO MONEY. I WAS TALKED INTO ORDERING A DISCONTINUED DISPLAY .

THE DEPOSIT WENT TO THE PARTS Mr. WHITFORD ORDERED . I CUT OVER 1500 DOLLARS OFF OF MY PRICE TO ACCOMMODATE HIM. AFTER SEVERAL ILL MANNERED EMAIls , it was decided that I will not work for such a customer .

All items were ordered specifically for John and Lucy and could not be returned .

NO ITEM WAS LEFT IN THE PARKING LOT , ALL ITEMS WERE HANDED TO JOHN IN THE PARKING LOT. Feel Free to contact me - info@***.com.ILL GLADLY SHARE video footage of the incident in question, emails, and the invoices regarding this .Thank You, Andrew Minard

View more comments (2)
ID
Orange Park, Florida
Service
Lightning Marine Electronics Installation
Cons
  • Failure to perform
Reason of review
failed to complete contract
Loss
Preferred solution
pay a licensed installer to provide and complete

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article