Verified Reviewer
Advanced Reviewer

Update by user Jun 29, 2018

Their Fair Market Value is Yard Sale Prices & If you do Not Like There Offer, There Legal Team Says , Sue Us!. You get what you pay for but not in Levitons case.

Original review posted by user Jun 28, 2018
I put in a claim because I had one of their Whole House Surge Protectors installed in my house. On April 16, 2018, I had a power surge come into my house. Not only did the Leviton Surge Protector fail, it burnt up just about every low voltage or electronic device in the house. Such as the refrigerator, furnace, dishwasher, phones, printers, computers, ceiling fans, as well as other surge protectors even though the secondary surge protectors protected what was plugged into them. The Leviton Surge Protector model # 51110 was burnt up and the casing melted and looked like charcoal. I called Levition and they sent me a new one and I sent in the old one. The box it came in said it has a $5000.00 connected equipment warranty but on there web site it says its $25,000.00. Some small items like smoke detectors I replaced since mine were interlocked and 115 volts and as of today 6/28/2018 still trying to get Sears to replace my refrigerator since I have not had one since April. I had the furnace repaired but had the parts put through warranty to save money and bought all the parts at a discount to also save money. Items like phones or printers I cant repair and I know it would cost more to either get an estimate or to have repaired so I put on the list I sent to Leviton, Not Cost Effective to Repair or get an estimate unless they wanted to pay for the estimate, but they did not say. I finally received an offer of $3200.00. I told them I would not accept less then twice that because it cost double that to replace all of that and I could have had the refrigerator and furnace repaired at there expense since it was there device that failed and also that I had to order parts for the fans and dishwasher and other items and did the repairs myself which took time. I finally spoke to an assistant attorney Vincent J. Lonigro in there legal department and he said he thought they offered me $4200.00 and I said no. He sent me a list of part of my claim of what I paid out for parts, labor or items I replaced but nothing else. I sent him back the complete list of what I claimed originally and on many items I put that it was not cost effective to get an estimate or repair and about what they cost. The other day I decided to lower my offer to $5200.00and sent it to Mr Lonigro. He said he would ask management and get back to me and he did but for $4000.00 which was $200.00 less than what he said he thought they offered before. We spoke about going to court and I have so I was familiar with the process and he said they have never lost a case. I would have to base that on the fact that most claims are small and most people do not know how to file a claim and if they contact an attorney, they find it will cost more to hire and attorney than the claim is for. So in the long run, Leviton Bullies most people into settling claims for what ever they offer. Today I received the last email from Mr Vincent Lonigro stating there offer is $4000.00 and I have until the end of the day to accept it or sue them. I have enough physical and medical issues, so I really do not have the time to file in court, so I told him I will accept the offer of $4000.00 but I will take my time to warn the public not to buy Leviton Products. I also filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, because this product can start a fire and Leviton seems to not want to take any responsibility for anything. They need to fire this attorney for starters or if their all like him, don't buy a Leviton Product. See attached Picture. This could have burnt my house down as well.

Likewise I am avoiding Leviton surge protectors in general based on this post, but it was especially helpful to realize how important it is to get a metal, not a plastic housing.

I have thought about having one of these installed but have been using the smaller ones for each unit. To trust a company like Leviton or putting all your eggs in one basket is looking for trouble and if they treat a customer like this, I have second thoughts about buying one.

Sounds like they give you yard sale prices if that.

They are lucky it did not burn down a house or kill people doing so. They have the worst customer relations department I have ever heard about.

#1620289
@Glenn R Bqb

I agree. I can see why they have an attorney like this taking care of claims.

It seems he acts like they never lost a claim because of him but most corporations like this hire attorneys in the States where the claim is filed and let them do the the legal work. After viewing this surge protector, I don't believe I would use one either or any of there products if this is how they treat people.

@PissedConsumer1620289

After seeing this, I would not put one of these in my home and any leviton product if this is how they treat people

View more comments (3)
ID
Melville, New York
Product
Leviton 51110-Srg Surge Protector
Cons
  • How they handle a warranty claim for damages
Reason of review
Warranty issue
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article