Beginners Salsa lesson by unqualified instructor..complete ripoff of students

Awful. I want to start by saying my comment is not reflective of the Studio as a whole or the great things they have going on in other areas....(i heard great things) thats why I came... I took beginners Salsa at Landance 10 $ ..considered Level 1. I am a beginner but I studied basic foot work and a few turns the week before hand so I wouldnt be too "new" to it. I was under the impression we would go over a basic footwork, weight distribution, counts (timing) closed/open postion. How the hands are held etc..... I wanted to form a good foundation to build from. What I did get was a over confident guy that showed the basic foot work by saying "walk forward ..ok walk back" there you go.... thats all salsa is.....he then quickly went in to "toe tapping" with a basic ?? (which is styling) a CBL a minute later..(which he never went over prior to throwing it in..) ..his own personal styling moves ?? then on to a open "break" ??? then a release move? then went over " switching partners" on the dance floor ???? all the time saying "this is so easy".. I was completely confused and discouraged.....not sure if it was by design. Get folks thinking they have so much to learn they will sign up for more classes ..or was he was simply not an effective instructor.... Even my questions during the lesson were not received well.... He collected I estimate 60-90 dollars cash for what i view as " Sala overview " as he see's it... He used phrases like "grab your girl" "grab your lady" "take your lady and... .spin her" "give your lady to someone else on a switch move" Salsa is sexy, romantic and fun..he explained it like it was a square dance..I took way zero from that experience... Will never return.....
ID
Beachwood, Ohio

La Danse Cleveland Mistreat Students

I took both group and private dance lessons at La Danse Cleveland for about one year until my instructor left to work at another studio. I informed La Danse that while I would continue taking group lessons and attending the open dances at La Danse, I would be continuing my private lessons with the same instructor at another studio. Ever since then I was treated terribly. Most of the staff was no longer friendly toward me. I was constantly followed by the staff when speaking to other students for fear I would solicit other students to leave. They relentlessly tried to get me to sign back up with them even though I made it clear I wasn't interested. They even when so far as to bad-mouth my instructor and say the other studio would close down within a year. I was not allowed to talk to staff members who were friends with the previous instructor. The last straw was when they called me and said I would be banned from La Danse after discovering I had given a business card of the new studio to a student. They called it "unethical" and threatened legal action. I was then told "See you later" in a condescending tone. I will no longer be attending any events for La Danse Cleveland if this is how they treat people and handle business.

As owners of La Danse Cleveland, a beautiful studio with a large and diverse clientele, we are committed to maintaining high standards of behavior. We value our students, staff and guests and take their safety, comfort and happiness seriously.

La Danse is also an open-door studio. Students and staff from other studios are welcome in our studio and we do expect everyone to follow basic rules of courtesy and conduct while in our studio.

Very rarely are we faced with the hard choice of warning a client about his or her behavior, or asking anyone to leave the studio. Mr. Schnell left us with no choice for the following reasons:

1. Female dancers complained about his inappropriate behavior

2. While enjoying our hospitality, Mr. Schnell tried to solicit our students to another studio/teacher

3. Mr. Schnell joined closed party activities that were designed for paying students without paying. We allowed him to enter these activities for free multiple times, then had to stop it.

This is the first time, and hopefully the last, we have had to ask a client not to come back.

We wish to make it clear that we are a welcoming business but that we will continue to put the safety and comfort of our students and staff first, and will not tolerate abusive behavior toward our guests or our business.

Esther Rehm Cohen & Tim Brown

Owners, La Danse Cleveland

1. Female dancers complained about his inappropriate behavior

Esther Rehm Cohen & Tim Brown

Owners, La Danse Cleveland

View more comments (1)
ID
North Canton, Ohio

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article