map-marker Melbourne, Victoria

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

Karl Rhodes destroyed the floor of my office by cutting corners & overpromising. He is a total conman who says all the right things and has no intention (or ability?) to do the job right.

Please take my advice & do not fall for his *** Avoid on Airtasker.

Avoid on Hi-Pages. He is a crook.

User's recommendation: AVOID!

Delvina Csn

He just ripped off our in- laws he lives in Springvale and often goes to the sandown racecourse to gamble. If anyone’s got the spare time I’d suggest talking with management there to get in touch with him. I’m sure police could even possibly track him through his credit cards on file that his used at the venue

reply icon Replying to comment of Delvina Csn

So the sewer rat is alive and continuing to rip people off. Police know about Kowboy Karl...

Eleftheria Ggd

Pity we didn't see this review before we engaged the services of this con artist. $12, 000 paid for nonexistent materials and demolished balcony with no work done. No communication from the guy, we are at our wits end here.

Brianne Ygj
reply icon Replying to comment of Eleftheria Ggd

He did the same to me. Do you happen to have his address?

reply icon Replying to comment of Brianne Ygj

No he has gone to ground like snakes do. How much did he scam out of you and when?

Found 23 court appearances for the scammer online. Con artist +++

Brianne Ygj
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2332929

$11,622 August 2022. I went to the police and now filing a report of fraud.

According to Australian Law, According to Australian law, this is a case of Financial deception : This criminal offense is fraud committed when a person uses a trick to obtain a financial advantage for themselves or another person. Financial benefits may include avoiding debt, getting a loan, or gaining the opportunity to earn money. In addition, he continues to commit fraud with other vulnerable individuals.

I also complained to the Victorian Building Authority, Consumer Affairs Victoria, and submitted my story entry to the A Current Affairs program. These people have to be stopped.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2332929

I have submitted my information to Consumer Affairs, also been the police with plans to do what you are doing and also ACC & ATO. But, first I need to work +++ to try and retrieve some of what has been scammed.

He has 23 court appearances and I know that at his Feb VCAT court case, he didn't even bother to turn up. He is lower than a sewer rat.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2332929

Good luck trying to get your money back. He gave me a promissory note signed and witnessed and has paid nothing.

The most frustrating part is that all the agencies including the police have done nothing to arrest this criminal.

Fraud is a criminal offense. They all wash their hands of it even though they have the power to stop this guy.

reply icon Replying to comment of Eleftheria Ggd

Don't know how you managed to get him to sign a promissory note!!! How much were you scammed out of? Can only hope I guess that karma will take of the *** as the authorities are see to be sitting on their hands and doing nothing.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2334219

Police required him to do the promissory note. He got $11622 from me.

I'm such an idiot but the worst part is that I handed them a criminal and they sent me to VCAT. At this point, I'd rather see him incarcerated even if I don't get my money back. The system is broken when he and others like him can get away with this. I've thought about legal proceedings but don't want to throw good money after bad, just want him exposed and in jail.

The laws are clear but the system does not enforce them. Filed a fraud report with no response from the police so going to make a complaint to the police complaint line.

Thought about tricking him into another attempt to scam someone and following him home. A magistrate can order his possessions to be taken.

View more comments (20)
Resolved
Eileen N Vzb

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Poor Workmanship and Overpriced Repairs

Updated by user Oct 16, 2020

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with settlement agreement.

Updated by user Oct 16, 2020

Received a partial refund when I contacted the Better Business Bureau, along with a threat of legal action for harassment. I was given an estimate for 3.5 hours of labor, but charged for 6 hours of labor, so wrote my review.

Ken the owner Of KR Handy Service then sent me an email that he would give me $75 to remove my review, which I refuse to do. I was finally sent a check for the partial refund through the Better Business Bureau, with the stipulation that I would not remove my review of this business, as people need to be aware of the honesty of this business.

Updated by user Oct 09, 2020

Due to being overcharged by Ken of KR Handy Services, I contacted the Better Business Bureau, and received a partial refund through them.

Original review Sep 16, 2020
Through Yelp, I was able to locate Ken of KR Handy Service to fix my fence gate. He came down, looked at the gate, had some good suggestions, and emailed me an estimate. The estimate was for 3.5 hours of labor at $75 hour, a total of $262.50, plus parts, the reason I hired him. He put a board in the ground with pipes in it for the fence gate stakes, replaced 2 fence boards that I had, added a new lock, trimmed a few boards, and screwed in the remaining fence boards. When he was finished he charged me $500 instead, for 6 hours of work, telling me you can not go by the estimate, it was just an estimate, plus parts, plus a hidden charge of $20 to pick up supplies. I paid the $500, but not even a week later, the gate lock fell off the fence when my landscapers were down to cut my grass. It was not secured properly, as the screws were too short, and were not anchored in as they should have been. I had to use different screws to secure the lock temporarily, until I can find another handyman to fix things right. Ken had also left large spaces between the hinges. I was not happy about this situation, so wrote a negative Yelp review. Ken then emailed me that he would pay me $75 to remove my Yelp review, but I refused. I notified Law Enforcement instead about the situation since I am a Senior Citizen.
Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Read Reviews Before Hiring Contractors

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article