James Auto Center Auto Repair Review

$1,600 quote for a job that cost $400. We're planning on charging me $900 for parts that cost $207. Criminals, how are they still in business?
ID
Montverde, Florida
Reason of review
Pricing issue

James Auto Center Inc Panama City FL Owner Tells car owner next time you need to bring the decision maker I can't work with anyone that can't make the decisions. Damages vehicle.

jamesautocenter.com Full complaint detail between consumer and business. ************************************************************************ (Joshua Ahles to James of James Auto Center) On 08/14/14, we took our Lexus in for diagnostics at James Auto Center, Incorporated of Panama City, FL. Upon arrival, James, the owner, wanted to take us for a test drive even though we told both him and his office manager that we needed to leave for a medical appointment at the Mayo Clinic, which is over five hours away. We agreed to the test drive since he kept repeating himself. Once we return they indicate a fee of nearly $110.00 would be needed just to evaluate the vehicle; using an example of how they are like doctors and cannot "diagnose" a vehicles for free. We agreed. We then remind both James and his office manager that we need to leave for our Mayo Clinic appointment, but they do not hasten whatsoever if anything James goes slower by trying to sell us on getting headlights cleaned for $75 bucks. We let him finish his poorly timed and poorly executed sales spiel then finally depart. A few hours later they call and tell us the car battery keeps dying due to the alternator. He indicates he could replace the alternator with a rebuilt one with a "part" cost of roughly $450 bucks, two belts need to be replaced as they are causing the noise when the A/C is activated with "part" costs under $30 bucks, and the car would need to be reprogrammed to work correctly with the rebuilt, non-Lexus, alternator. The price he quoted was nearly $1100.00 dollars total. I tell them we will call back speak to the vehicle owner's father who says he will pay to fix it after inspection. I call the auto center back, speak to the office manager, and tell him we wouldn't be using their shop for the repairs given their cost is out of scope for the car owner due to his weekly exorbitant medical costs. He understood. The following day, 08/15/14, we go to pick up the car after returning from the Mayo Clinic. We go in and wait for a few minutes at which time the office manager brings us to the back and begins the transaction. I then leave and get back in my vehicle while the very sick car owner stays to settle the debt. Then James, the owner, walk in. James immediately talks down to his very sick patron, very rudely -- next time you need to bring the decision maker I can't work with anyone that can't make the decisions -- as an indication James viewed his sick patron as incompetent or indigent. The office manager said to his employer, defending the sick patron, that had it just been a couple belts the car owner would've been the decision maker. The car owner is stunned in disbelief and offended, does not respond, and instead takes his keys, begins to exit the tiny shop with the office manager about to follow to verify the vehicle would turn on. James stops his employee, raises his voice and tells his employee to go deal with another vehicle -- I got him. By this time the sick car owner was nearly at his vehicle when James comes up on him with a tech following shortly after. James arrives at the vehicle and states he "partly" charged the battery and doubted the car would even start, which it didn't given the bad alternator and the fact they didn't charge the battery as promised. The car owner responds he is just driving it to his parents house and prepares to call me to come jump the car. The tech then uses his battery jumper and the car starts. The car made noise immediately and James said oh that's your alternator. The car owner turned the A/C off, the noise stopped, and the shop owner, James, shuts his mouth; his tech remained silent the entire time. We leave. While following the car owner I notice something attached to the bottom of the vehicle kept bouncing off the road. I have him pull over. After examination, James Auto Center removed a bolt/screw that held the front underneath of the car together (between the front two tires) and did not put it back, which caused damages to the vehicle. ************************************************************************ (James of James Auto Center to Joshua Ahles) Yes, I was rude to this person because I asked him if he was responsible for the repair decision on the test drive, he said he was. This is why we go for test drive to weed out shoppers from buyers. So when my service advisor Paul, worked up all the estimates he requested for the work needed, The customer stated his father wanted him to take the car elsewhere. Since I have been in business for over 34 years I don't have time for people who want to use my knowledge and experience to have their "Cousin Bubba" to fix their car in the back yard. This is what my Saturday Morning live radio show on Talk Radio 101.1 is for. I help DIY'ers diagnose and repair their own cars since 1998. We did what he asked, and he signed the repair order authorizing the diagnosis. His concern was to make sure this older car was safe to put on the highway. He reasoning for this specific request was to make it was safe and because it gets better fuel economy. Yes, I did point out his headlights were yellow and should be "polished" so that people could see him and he could see the road. I think this customer would not be happy if I gave him back his money, killed myself and my entire staff. So to make it easier for my staff and myself, I will gladly give him back his money (minus state sales tax) if he will come to my shop to get the check from me personally. I don't like people who write malicious and slanderous statements. I like to be able to see my accuser face to face. If we go to arbitration through the BBB, he would have to meet with me. I hope this answers the BBB questions as well as what I plan on doing about this. ************************************************************************ (Joshua Ahles to James of James Auto Center) We aren't going to play your games. If you refund the money without this foolishness our business will be concluded. No arbitration. No face-to-face. No nonsense. And your former patron, the very sick man, shall not meet with you ever again. Especially not after your initial conduct followed by your highly irregular response statements. Now for your response. Your "accuser": What a joke. So what you're saying is you are seeking a confrontation. A confrontation with a very sick person unless you interpret me as your "accuser" or perhaps you see us both as your accusers. Either way your statement leaves something to be said about the way you conduct yourself in business and in life. "Malicious and slanderous": Also a joke. By your own words you admit to doing what I said you did although you did ignore certain parts. Finally, you ended with something very unusual. You said, "I think this customer would not be happy if I gave him back his money, killed myself and my entire staff." I am not sure if you are saying should you give the customer back his money you would need to murder your employees and then commit suicide or what your intended meaning was. Your statement is completely illogical. I will pray that you simply miswrote your thoughts. By the way. It wasn't the alternator like you said. "Cousin Bubba" took the vehicle to an actual repair shop to be safe since he couldn't find anything wrong with the alternator. The car shop determined the issue was a power drain from the rear window, and they were able to fix the problem for $175.00. The car runs fine now without a single issue. Headlamps also "polished". You further totally ignored the part about the damage your shop caused his vehicle, but that's okay; it further clarifies your position. Your options are simple: 1) Refund his money via US Mail; or 2) Don't refund his money. There is no in-between here, or possible face-to-face, especially given what you said in your response. Govern yourselves accordingly, Joshua Ahles Addendum by Joshua Ahles: And by the way, James, at the beginning of your complaint rebuttal you said: Yes, I was rude to this person because I asked him if he was responsible for the repair decision on the test drive, he said he was. This is why we go for test drive to weed out shoppers from buyers. So when my service advisor Paul, worked up all the estimates he requested for the work needed, The customer stated his father wanted him to take the car elsewhere. Since I have been in business for over 34 years I don't have time for people who want to use my knowledge and experience to have their "Cousin Bubba" to fix their car in the back yard. In response to this- My domestic partner was the decision-maker and has the ability to make his own decisions even though he is very ill. We told you this. That said, he does a have a business degree. He is not stupid. And even with his lack of knowledge about vehicle repair, it was incredibly obvious you were trying to swindle him out of his money. Further substantiated by the other repair company charging less than $200.00 total for the repair versus your $1000.00+ proposed repair plan backed by your 34+ years of business experience coupled with your reference of your once per week "radio show on Talk Radio 101.1". He neither has the time nor is he healthy enough for people to take advantage of him; for people to attempt to rip him off. He is far too sick for such nonsense. In closing, we have never received a diagnostic report scribbled by hand on a piece of paper. Further, your hand-scribbled diagnostic report was not even ready. Your business wasn't even going to give us one. I had to ask your cashier, presumably Paul, for it. From our experience, and from the experience of everyone we've talked to about this, these reports are always printed out not handwritten. And not something the patron has to ask for. ************************************************************************ (James of James Auto Center to Joshua Ahles) I stand by my last statement. No matter what I do, you will not be happy. So if you want your money, come and get it at my shop. Monday through Friday 7:00 am till 5:00. This is good through the month of September. After that I will have nothing more to do with you or whoever is harassing me by using the BBB. No games, My phone number has not been cut off or changed. The 727 area code phone # you have given me has been cutoff and you don't answer your 850 area code number. I think you just have a case of butthurt from the truth. No matter what I say you will find an argument to prove me wrong. The ball in your court, I guess you are afraid to confront people, maybe this is why you are so brave behind a keyboard. In reality I don't have to do a anything. I have your signature authorizing our inspection work as required by the state of Florida. You are trying to be a bully and that shows me your true nature. ************************************************************************ (Joshua Ahles to James of James Auto Center) Today, September 15, 2014, James Auto Center called my personal cell phone although the caller did not identify himself in the message. I authenticated the caller's identity by searching his provided numbers of 850-763-**** (Google shows this is James Auto Center) while the number he called from 850-763-**** reveals no data. I am surprised James Auto Center called me directly given the BBB dispute, and based on my latest complaint response so I wanted to provide a transcript of his voicemail. His words are demeaning per my view because he once again acts like he doesn't know who the decision-maker is. I find this behavior incredibly foolish and offensive because the decision-maker has been explained to this outfit several times. James Auto Center Voicemail: "I'd like to speak with the person that's in charge of making decisions in this household I think his name is Josh Ahles or his dad or somebody. Please call me 850-763-****. I still say the same. You'll get your money when you come down and get it. That's all I'm gonna tell ya'." To which I respond to both James' latest response and voicemail-- James: It seems you are still playing games. I am not afraid to "confront" people. I've chosen not to "confront" you because there is no need to, but it is clear that is what you seek .. some type of confrontation or perhaps a physical battle given your earlier statement about killing yourself and your employees. It's all quite comical. Your statement of being "butthurt" is also unusual, but based on your latest statements it's really not at all unusual for you. You are actually making yourself out to be quite the "bully" given your "Cousin Bubba" remark and complete dismissal of fact notwithstanding your latest comments and phone call. As for your latest word selection of "harassment" -- The BBB offers the consumer a medium in the event a business fails the consumer. You have failed. You like to levy words like harassment and accuser and bully and Cousin Bubba. In fact, you are doing and being the things you are spouting in this complaint. It really shows us all the kind of man you are. I will say once again that there is no in between here. You can either refund the money via US Mail or you don't refund the money. That will resolve this situation so you see, there is a way for you to fix this and make amends, but not a way that pleases you: The wrongdoer.

Joshua Ahles cannot even construe large words together correctly. He is a bully.

He thinks he is smart, but he suffers from delusions of grandeur.

He harrasses everyone he comes into contact with because he is so egocentric. If you wish to contact him, his phone number is (727) 315-****.

ID
Panama City, Florida

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article