Untrustworthy mechanic at Island Tire North on Hilton Head Island

My 2003 Lincoln Town car, with just over 100k miles on her, had a mysterious dead battery on March 7, 2016. I took her to Island Tire South end of Hilton Head Island, SC and Mike’s team falsely diagnosed that a battery cell was the problem - but he didn’t charge me a penny. I say “falsely” because I took the battery back to Advanced Auto and they tested it right in front of me and it was perfectly fine. I insisted on getting a replacement because the battery was under warranty and they tested the replacement, and we put the new one into my car. Next morning, dead battery. I returned to Island Tire South and Mike was honest in saying he didn’t want to touch it and wouldn’t be able to find the draw effectively. I then took the Lincoln to Island Tire North at 271 William Hilton Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926 on March 9, 2016 where Barry Edwards (owner) assured me it would be “no problem, just change out the alternator”. Boy-o-boy, what a scam that turned out to be! By the end of May, yes, 11 weeks after I took it to Barry, the car was still not fixed and it had a brand new problem under their care - the air suspension was now shot. Worst part is that I would have to call Barry just about every other day over those 11 weeks and he’d say things like “the shop was too busy” or “we’re still working on it” or “I’d like to shoot your car” or “we think you need to add this or spend more on that” or “I’ll call you back” (but never call back). Not once, not one time did they call me about my car over all that time - I’d have to chase them down. In fact, I bet if you look up “***-poor customer service” you will most likely find Island Tire in a bold, highlighted section for sure. Over the 11 weeks his inexperienced team, mostly a guy named Todd, replaced my alternator 4 times, replaced the battery again, replaced the wiring, and then replaced the ECM and LCM - all for $1,200 out of my pocket to cover his incompetence for labor and parts. Maybe it wasn’t incompetence, perhaps it was all a lie to make me spend more and more money at his shop? I’ll never know for sure, but once he said it would cost another $1,500 to do my air suspension, I asked for my keys and went to Ford Lincoln in Hardeeville, SC. Guess what Barry? In just 2 days and for $150, OC Welch Ford Service found that the rear subwoofer was causing the draw. Pretty simple and a fairly straightforward fix. I have made it a point to tell everyone I know not to take their car to Island Tire. They are inexperienced and untrustworthy. I will never do business with them ever again.
ID
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Cons
  • Incompetitence
  • Customer service
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article