Worthless Warranty

I had a new roof installed on my home in 2005 using IKO shingles which were advertised to have a 35 year "Iron Clad" warranty according to the manufacturer, IKO. I noticed that the shingles were beginning to crack and split in about 2014 and I experienced a roof leak in 2017. I contacted the original contractor who installed the shingles to have a look and repair the leak. The contractor examined the roof and was appalled at the condition of the shingles, he stated he had never seen anything like it in all his years of installing roofs. I began to do some investigating. I went online and found countless articles about class action suits against IKO for failed products. I contacted IKO regarding my issue. I received a claim form. I was required to send pictures of the roof and the house itself from all angles, prove ownership, with tax records, at the time the roof was put on, send in several full sections of shingles which displayed the damage, photograph and count all the vents in the eves, roof slope, original invoice for the purchase of the shingles, original contract from the contractor, number of squares of shingles installed. I jumped through all their hoops which I am certain were designed to discourage a claim or make it nearly impossible to comply with all the information they required to file a claim. After waiting over 3 months I finally received a "good will" offer of $614.02 to settle the claim based on IKO's prorating formula. Being insulted by IKO's offer I consulted my attorney. My attorney, read the warranty, contacted the law firm that was handling the class action law suits against IKO. The class action suits were dismissed by the court due to the language in the warranty which in part states that all claims must be settled by arbitration and IKO is the arbitrator and sole determiner regarding any claims. In the end I was forced to accept their insulting offer of $614.02 on a roof that lasted less than 13 years of a guaranteed 35 year life span. Replacement cost was a little more than $10,000.00 and I know the contractor gave me a break because he felt somewhat responsible since he installed the roof in the first place not knowing of course, that IKO products were garbage. Of course IKO denied any claim for the interior damage that resulted from the roof leaks caused by their inferior product. Let this be a warning to all not to purchase any products IKO sells, their products are inferior and when they fail, they will not step up and admit it, honor their warranty, or attempt to make it right. In short IKO is a deplorable company. Fore warned is fore armed.
ID
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Product
Iko Warranty

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article