Ideal / Clopay Roll-Up Doors.

I purchased an Ideal/Clopay Roll-Up door from Menards, and installed it 10-12 years ago.During the Summer of 2012, the torsion bar holding the door, sheared in two (2), right at the point it contacts the (left-side) support-bracket.The door as designed had metal on metal contact, and it essentially cut right through the torsion bar, akin to what occurs with a can-opener/tubing-cutter.When I contacted Ideal / Clopay, they'd stated my door was outside of its five (5) year Warranty (convenient, as most people don't stay in their homes for more than five (5) years before moving/selling).I explained the shed door had been subjected to fewer than two-thousand (2,000) cycles (up/down) given a worst-case use scenerio (3x a week for 12 years = 1872), as we don't use the shed in Winter, which lasts five (5) months of the year here in Minnesota.The fact I couldn't even purchase replacement parts, resulted in my stating that I wanted to file this issue as a complaint. Their response... nothing, they didn't even respond.Thinking I might be able to repair it myself, a friend and I took it down and inspected it.Now I know why they only warrantied it for five (5) years, as this things was a jury-rigged piece of junk! Everything was welded together, and you couldn't just purchase the bar, you'd require new drum supports and collar-guides too.You'd have thought in this day and age, that a company would have installed some bearings or other components to reduce friction (metal/metal), but not Ideal / Clopay.I suspect Ideal / Clopay assumes they'll obtain new-business when their doors fail, as the consumer is forced to purchase another door, as theirs can't be repaired!All I can say is we're furtunate no-one was hurt when the bar was cut-in-two, whereby I could foresee the roll-up door easily crushing someone.On further inspection, I noted it was only a matter of time before the right-side of the bar sheared too, as it had worn extremely thin.I'm sure there are more reputable manufacturers out there, whereas Ideal / Clopay doors weren't designed for long-term use, and the ambivalence of their sales staff left a real soure taste in my mouth.So in closing, if you're looking for a Roll-Up door for your shed, I'd recommend someone other than Ideal / Clopay!

I'm looking for one, life of the door doesn't sound bad, but attitude of copay sounds like a company I rather not deal with

Door should last atleast 20 yrs. !

you the ones that think 10-12 years is a good life for a seldom used shed door----what is a good life for a shed??? is in 10-12 years your head is underneath the doors when is fractures your skull acceptable too?

Wow. 12 years and you're complaining? You really need to get a clue.

Why I think Clopay should guarantee this door for life! Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-12 years is good life. Get a new door and get oin with your life and stop buiytching about it~ :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

View more comments (4)
ID
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article