Hot Rock Paving Reviews

Show reviews that mention
tar driveway chip rock stone warranty problem job guess tar chip
Filter review

Verified Reviewer

Not pleased

I had my driveway paved with tar and chips one year ago it looked great. But the weeds grew up through it. when i cut the grass iI have to cut the driveway too. I called hot rock twice and ask if they had away to deal with this problem they said would look at it,they never came so I guess they dont have a remedy I dont think he intended to come .

User's recommendation: save your money.

ID
Pros
  • Good to do business with
Cons
  • It didnt last weed grew through it
Let the company propose a solution
Don't waste your time on this goof. They agreed to put a new lot on my back of my property. He promised it will be good for the tow motor I had. They leveled the lot purred the driveway and guess what. My tow motor is sinking. After I've talked to a real expert guy he...
#2004919

HOT ROCK PAVING’s been doing Tar And Chip for years for our family and we’ve had nothing but good experience if he said he’ll come back and do it I don’t know why you’re commenting badly about him

View more comments
ID
Pros
  • No pros when the product and costumer service is useless
Preferred solution
Looking to make sure other people not loosing money on this.

1 year later and huge holes.

We had Hot Rock do our entire driveway tar and chip just over a year ago. After one winter we had huge holes. Called for months trying to have them come repair. We were told verbally during initial tar and chip that it came with a ten year warranty. Every time I called I would get a different reason why they couldn’t come and had no idea when they could. They never called once in six months to follow up. They never even came by to see how bad it was. Finally got frustrated with owner and he then began saying “we don’t warranty our work, show me your receipt”. At that point I knew they were playing games. I called another well known company in gta and they were out within three days to look. The other local company slipped us into their schedule as they said it would get way worse over the winter. They came a few days later at end of day and repaired the driveway. We had to pay another company $1800 out of pocket to repair Hot Rocks tar and chip job.

Email me the bill from the other company Hotrockpaving@***.ca

I was told by you hat you would not likely be there before end of season... you told me “you didn’t know when you could come” and expressed concern about it getting worse over the winter.

You advised “you could not give a time frame when you could come at all”.... first times I was told because of rain and another time told because of a truck being held by tow company... which I didn’t not understand because you run multiple crews. We called another company and they also were concerned it would get worse over the winter with heave and thaw.

They came promptly within a week as they felt it was important so before frost came. We have already paid the $1800 out of pocket to the other company. I got sick of calling you months after month with no answer other than “not sure when we can make it out”. You proceeded to hang up the phone on me when there was discussion of small claims court and having our lawyer involved.

I was told by your father who also came to the house the day it was being done (who had previously done the drive for my in-laws years before that the driveway would be guaranteed for ten years.... which was why we doubled the amount of tar and chip area we did). I don’t want to sit here and debate if you have a warranty or not. Buyer beware I guess.

If I had not been told there was a warranty I would of never called you back to fix it.

If you want to settle the bill with us you have my address and phone number.... but I won’t be surprised to not hear from you as usual.

Hi this is Bill from HOT ROCK PAVING The owner we don’t offer warranties if you can show me the warranty I will honour it I told you I would be there before The end of the season that’s not quick enough for you because you’re listing your house tell the other company to call me before they do the work and I will settle the bill with them directly thanks sorry for the inconvenience

View more comments (2)
Bad quality
Let the company propose a solution

Very happy

I would like to provide some positive feedback about a job well done. We recently had our driveway done with tar and chip and I am very happy with the job done and the work completed by the crew. Once the job was completed it rained for 2 days and some of the stone had washed away but the boss drove by and saw the driveway and came up to the house and told us his men would be back sometime this week to put down more stone. this was excellent customer service and very much appreciated by us. I would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone, great job.
ID
Pros
  • Excellent
Good customer service
Junior Reviewer

Resolved: Don't get Tar & Chip

Update by user Jul 29, 2016

The William Hodgson team at Hot Rock Paving has restored my faith in Tar and Chip (I wish I could change the title of this review).

Hot Rock Paving was true to their word and more than fully honored the warranty even going above and beyond the call of duty. To me a company is only as good as their word and William Hodgson more than honored the warranty by providing upgraded product as no expense to ensure the job was done right.

There is a stigma attached to paving companies as there is with vacuum sales (which is our business).

I was doubtful to what degree they would honor the warranty, but they did and more! They didn't just come and fill pot holes and resurface with the same product as before, they clearly provided upgraded materials at their expense and were thorough in their attention to detail.

Hot Rock Paving was as baffled as I was when they saw the result after one season. They special ordered a much heavier aggregate than what I originally purchased and they filled the potholes with an even heavier aggregate and tar asphalt before applying the top coat instead of the recycled asphalt we originated opted for because it was less expensive.

Regarding the emulsion, it was very evident that their new emulsion is much thicker and sticky and unlike the first time, the stones are cemented firmly in place.

I don't have doubt that this will hold up.

Thank you Hot Rock Paving and the William Hodgson family for going above and beyond. No company likes the expense of warranty, the fact that Hot Rock paving was so thorough speaks to the generations of Hodgson's who've been doing this and still have the same commitment to quality and customer service.

Update by user Nov 19, 2015

We have been in contact with Hot Rock Paving and said they will completely 'redo' the job next Spring under warranty as it is too late into the year the season.

Original review posted by user Nov 05, 2015
We paid a handsome price to have our parking lot Tar & Chipped rather than re-pave which is considerably more expensive. The product did not hold up and within a couple month there were areas where the stone washed away and looked like it hadn't even have liquid asphalt applied. I would not recommend having Tar & Chip applied by this company. They said they had a warranty but when it came time to honor their warranty they did not fix the problem. Or perhaps they visited after hours and saw just how terrible it was and figured it was too costly for them to fix their work.

it looks like to me that the puddle in the background is coming from underneath your asphalt it looks in the picture like they put a heavy coat of Tar on you should really look into getting that huge puddle fixed it would stop a lot of your problems

Resolved
Stratford, Ontario
Warranty issue
$20000
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article