map-marker Springfield, Illinois

Terrible customer service

Horace mann customer service is ignorant - they have no idea on what they are doing. I was told 3 times that they would respond to my questions - they never responded! They put you on hold forever then give wrong answers. They were supposed to auto deduct my payments but didn't - they in turn cancelled my policy. I also emailed asking for rate prices on a change -never answered me. Dondon they din't
Loss:
Pros:
  • Price
  • Website
Cons:
  • Terrible customer service
  • Dumb people

Worst Insurance EVER!!!

This place is a joke. After having them for YEARS- we were involved in a hit and run by a drunk driver. So, they had to pay me for the accident. I was injured-head busted through the window 8 staples, ruptured discs in my neck, bruised kidneys, sprained ankle...they purposefully LOW BALLED my medical claims. I did recover a few extra dollars from someone else filing a class action law suit. CUSTOMER SERVICE STINKS. Stay far far away from them. They don't even want to take care of their own people. And if anyone hits you that is insured with them-that's even worse. The claim agents don't return your calls.
Bad quality
map-marker Las Cruces, New Mexico

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER

I work for car dealership and I deal with Insurance companies every single day. It is our job to get the insurance binder/ declaration page for the banks. Usually it is a simple 2 minute process. Horace Mann made it a very long ordeal over 6 hours. I can tell that they don't care about their customers at all. Several of the phone numbers that I called were either disconnected or a computer told me to call back tomorrow. When I finally did get in touch with a human being they were rude and wouldn't even accept the lien holder information. I thought Fred Loya was the worst insurance provider, but now Horace Mann has that title. I just don't understand why they would be so hard to work with. They probably don't realize that car sales people are asked every single day, "which auto insurance do you suggest?" Now I will respond to them, well if you want to deal with a lifetime of frustration and flat out disrespect I suggest Horace Mann.
Cons:
  • Horrible customer service
Poor customer service

Preferred solution: Treat people with respect

Guest

Dealing with Horace Mann is an absolute nightmare!!! I’ve been a customer of the company for 15 years and am not being helped by the customer service reps. Calling every day to get an answer hasn’t helped!They truly are the WORST!

map-marker North Carolina, United States

Horace Mann THE WORST INSURANCE EVER

I had Horace Mann insurance on my car, home, and investment property. First, my investment property was insured as a 2nd full-time home because, "it would be in my best interests". It was in their best interests financially, not mine. And since I didn't live in it, had anything happened I wouldn't have been able to file a claim but I was told, "don't worry about that, nothing will happen". If nothing can happen why do we have insurance? Then my car was totaled. Actually it was tore in half during a t-bone collision (thankfully no one was injured - it was a miracle). Horace Mann towed this car around my state for over a month trying to find someone to repair the car. The car was not repairable. During this month I had no car, no settlement, and no money to buy a new car. I actually had to make TWO car payments on a totaled car to keep my credit in good standing. Horace Mann told me the car payments were "no big deal" they were my financial obligation, so I just had to make the payment and be quiet. No kidding. Pay for a totaled car while they tow it around the state for no good reason. The car was in TWO pieces on the tow truck and of course every (all 8) air bag had deployed, the rear passenger wheel was totally gone as was the rear axle. And they insisted I didn't know what I was talking about when I voiced concern about the quality of repair a car THIS DAMAGED would receive. Then when I finally got fed up and insisted they total the car their adjuster (this is FOUR WEEKS AFTER THE ACCIDENT) told me I had no phone etiquette and I couldn't tell her what to do, she was the expert and I was "just a customer". She then told me to NOT call there again EVER, she'd call me when she had something to report, and then she hung up on me while I was speaking. I called my agent and reported this to him, his response was this particular adjuster was known to have a bad attitude and *I* needed to handle her with kid gloves because *she* was in control and I better "look out" if I got her angry because she would retaliate. I pointed out that *I* am the customer and *I* paid them. He responded the adjuster is very powerful and can make my life unpleasant. This, after my not having a car for four weeks. And, yes, I have a full-time job and needed to make arrangements to get there and home EVERY DAY. THEN finally, they admit my car is totaled but they wouldn't pay. I was left with an $18,000 deficit balance (I paid $21,000 for the car) and I had purchased Gap Insurance. Both the dealership and the Gap Insurance company told me Horace Mann was impossible to work with and refused to provide the necessary documentation for them to submit the necessary funds to process what they had to provide in order to finalize the financial part of the claim. I contacted an attorney to sue my insurance company and they told me to go ahead and sue, it would only cost me more money and they had an entire department of attorneys, it didn't matter to them if I sued or not. In the end, they did come up with almost $15,000 more money to stay out of court. I was responsible for the rest because they would NOT cooperate with the Gap Insurance. Then they QUADRUPLED my insurance premium. These people are a joke. DO NOT BUY HORACE MANN INSURANCE. They will abuse you.
Poor customer service
Guest

Wow, I've never heard so many lies about the company I work for.I have worked with Horace Mann as an agent for 10 years and have never got a complaint about how we have settled a claim. Just because you paid $21,000 for your car in no way indicates what your car is actually worth.

In North Carolina three points is the most you can get for any accident. Again I have been an agent for 10 years and no one's insurance quadruples with three points, ever. The state of North Carolina sets the rates. Not Horace Mann.

All insurance companies in North Carolina follow the states guidelines on rates. The NCDOI does not allow rates to be quadrupled for three points. Second we would never take your car. We send an adjuster to your house or to the garage where you chose to fix your car and adjusted there.

As a 10 year veteran of Horace Mann I can say honestly I would not work for a company that acted in the manner mentioned above. I work closely with the local schools and have a great reputation. My reputation is everything. I would not stand to work for a company like that.

Please stop posting lies, misinformation, and exaggerations. It only makes everyone else's life and job harder.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-879784

Horace Mann claims department is a complete mess. I was a Horace Mann agent for 10 years as well, and this is one of the many reasons I left Horace Mann this year!

Just because you work closely with your local schools and have a good reputation, does not mean the corporation working behind you gives a *** about your schools or your clients. As a Horace Mann agent, you can also sell Progressive auto insurance. This April I had a Progressive client and Horace Mann client both total a vehicle at the same time. The Horace Mann claim was a disaster and took over 5 weeks to settle, the Progressive client had a check in a week.

Before you go and call paying customers a liar, you should take a look at the company you work for, do they lie to you, of course! Do they lie to your clients? Yes they do! It's unfortunate that upper management greed and the want to please wall street has destroyed a good company started by teachers.

Good luck to all Horace Mann clients and agents, you're going to need it.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-879784

You and you're location are not the only Horace Mann employee or location. Your attitude needs adjusting.

View more comments (2)
susita
map-marker Surprise, Arizona

Claimed I owed additional premium a year after not being a customer

Horace Mann insurance company hired a collection company after deciding I owed an additional $58.30 in premiums. This came with no communications---letters, phone calls or emails from Horace Mann during the year I was their customer. The 6 month premiums were paid in full in April 2010 and again in October 2010 for service from October 2010 to April 2011. Why in December of 2011---more than a year after the last premium was paid---are they requesting additional premium payments through a debt collector? My coverage with them ended in April 2011 and I had no communication with them since that premium was paid in October 2010.
map-marker Las Vegas, Nevada

Fraudently withdrew money from my bank account

My granddaughter had a policy with Horace Mann Car Ins. over a year ago, needed a checking account to have money withdrawn from and at that time I authorized HM to take money out, she moved to Arizona and informed them to dc taking money from my account and to use her account. Notified in Oct. 2010, they continued in Nov. 2010 to withdraw from my acct. called again was told we will take care of it, again in Dec. 2010 withdrew and overdrew my account, I have sent them all the paper work showing the bank overdrafts and now they e-mail me I cannot get my money back until the middle of Jan.2011, these practices are slipshod, biased and deceptive, they took the money from my account, it should have been put right back once this situation was bought to their attention.
Phill Hkl

You should have never let your grandchild use your account for her insurance. It is time to grow up and open your own account if you are old enough to buy a car.

second if you got your money back what's the problem. if companies just gave money back to clients who say they owe them with out checking then most would go broke.

Insurance Expert Talks

Insurance Claims Tips: What Red Flags to Watch Out

Apr 23, 2021

How to file an insurance claim? Why do you need a public adjuster? Vince Perri, CEO of Commercial Claims Advocate, shares his best tips about insurance claims. Find out how to deal with complex residential insurance claims and commercial losses.

Read full article
Vince Perri
Vince Perri

Vince Perri is a Expert Claims Adjuster and CEO of Commercial Claims Advocate. He has over 14 years of experience in handling large commercial losses and complex residential insurance claims.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article