I also lost money on false promises

Clearly, Home Helpers is not in the home care business, it is in the business of collecting franchise fees, deposits, and royalties. I was told when I put the deposit down, they would go to work for me and find numerous options. The only thing that changed, was instead of hounding me for $5,000, they kept nagging for the balance of $40,000. So no due diligence can be done with this company. Obviously they don’t want you to do due diligence. Why? I can only assume there’s no real value in this franchise. They don’t give you the franchise agreement until after you pay the $5000, and there isn’t much in it that places any kind of responsibility on them. You become bound to invest thousands of dollars of your own money, towards furnishing a building to their standards. You promise royalties after 24 months, whether you are making money or not. They don’t care how much you net, because royalties are based on sales, not profit. So the more you spend on generating those sales, the better for them (even if you’re making a loss). There is absolutely no value in this franchise. You are buying zip codes to use their name, which is no value in this industry. You have no first right of refusal for neighboring zip codes (though they will verbally tell you that you do). What their goal is, is to have many Home Helpers franchisees “working together” (though you’re more like competition in reality). If you really want to do home care (you’re probably just looking at it as a business opportunity), you can go and just start your own. From a business opportunity standpoint, it’s not that great of an industry. Low barrier to entry, meaning anyone can do it. Which also means you don’t really need to join a franchise. The company promises you one week of training, then the rest is up to you. You basically run it how you want anyway, so again, what’s the value of the franchise? $45k plus 9% of your gross income (plus an operational restriction to 5 zip codes), makes it a very expensive training class. The only Home they are Helping, is their own.

Home Helpers is a scam. They have no brand identity on the west coast.

The profit margins in this business are around 15% of gross, they take 9% royalties. The week training is basic business 101. The regional manager had almost no business experience, and never visited our office.

When I complained about their lack of knowledge and brand identity, I was threatened. I was with them for 14 months and it cost me about $120,000 to get out!!.....But now I am free!!

@PissedConsumer1770654

Ditto!

View more comments (1)
ID
North Ogden, Utah

Home Helpers Franchise Scam

I purchased a franchise from Home Helpers. I live in Canada and Home Helpers is in Ohio, USA. I attended their sales presentation in Ohio and they assured me they were all ready to begin operations in Canada. I purchased the franchise off them based on this promise they made me. I was unable to get the liability insurance that Home Helpers required I purchase before I begin to operate the franchise. I wished to run the franchise from my home in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. This insurance was not available in Canada. They gave me some insurance leads that went nowhere. In fact they were not ready to operate in Canada. I was unable to start up my franchise because of their negligence. I invested thousands of dollars of my own money into the franchise. When I asked for a full refund they refused. They also said that because I was not operating the franchise that I must either sell it or it would be forfeit to them. I tried for a year to sell it and was unable to sell a franchise that was not able operate in this country. At the end of one year the franchise reverted to Home Helpers USA and my money is now gone forever according to them. I have tried to contact the owner of Home Helpers, Mr Gary D. Green to negotiate a refund in good faith, but he refused to talk to me or offer any kind of compromise whatsoever. They have all my money and I have nothing at all. Since then Home Helpers has set up a website called Caring Hearts Canada and claim they are operating in Canada. A quick check of this website shows only one operator in the entire country and the number provided for contact info is not in service. I would like a full refund plus interest that they have earned from my money. Home Helpers lack of understanding the Canadian home and health care market and its unique regulations prevented me from ever opening my franchise. I was unable to get the proper liability insurance because of Home Helpers naivety and complete unfamiliarity with our system. That was the only reason my franchise could not be opened. It would seem that they still do not have the expertise to operate franchises in Canada - there are none operating after 10 years. Home Helpers i nothing but a Scam and that's why I am a Pissed Off Consumer!
ID
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reason of review
Not as described/ advertised
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article