John Romano, Picayune, MS cancels contract fails to return deposit

I contracted with Mr. John Romano to build a desk on May 27, 2014. We agreed to a price for labor ($1200.00, plus materials. I bought the materials. In addition, he was to build two chairs ($ 300.00). He asked for a deposit ($750.00) and I paid it (Don't ever give this man a deposit). After I bought the wood on which we both agreed, he said that he was reluctant to work with this wood because its dust is toxic (I can imagine that you wouldn't want to breathe any wood dust :-)). Because of his fear of working with this wood, he said he wanted a friend/colleague to do the job. I declined his offer. He then said that he was willing to do the job but that he was going to charge me nearly three (3) times the agreed upon price for his labor ($ 3500). I declined this offer and requested that he return deposit. He sent me an e-mail on June 29 stating "I agree to pay back the deposit of $ 750 as soon as I can. Should be in the next couple of weeks". On July 15, he sent me a bank transfer of $ 200 but several days later he cancelled that wire transfer. To date John Romano, Jr. of Picayune, MS or New Iberia, LA has failed to return my $ deposit even though he agreed to do so. Contract with or employ Mr. John Romano at your own peril. I have filed a report with the New Orleans Police Department and the district attorney is currently investigating the case. The DA said that he would be interested in any others who have had similar dealings with Mr. John Romano. Please contact me if you have had a similar experience with John Romano of Picayune, Mississippi or New Iberia, Louisiana. ltrevino@***.com
ID
Full refund

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

How to Hire The Right Contractor And Not Be Scammed

Apr 16, 2021

Matt DiBarra, an expert home builder with Dibara Masonry, gives tips on how to build a house, find and hire the right contractor, and avoid home construction scams.

Read full article
Matt DiBarra
Matt DiBarra

Matt DiBarra is well-known as The Undercover Contractor. He is the owner of DiBara Masonry company in Los Angeles that specializes in house repairs, restorations, and new installations.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article