GDPR Data Protection Issues, Data Access refusal, misuse of data amongst associates, referred to Data Commissioner ICO

Gravito Retreat Centre are not recommended for those who have concerns about access to, or misuse of, personal data. They have made no attempt to be GDPR compliant and there are serious unresolved concerns around how personal data is used or shared. The matter was referred to the ICO in the United Kingdom as well as the Data Regulation body in Portugal after serious misuses of data were identified in the wider community that Gravito is part of. Under the provisions of the GDPR Individuals have the right to access their personal data. This is commonly referred to as subject access. Individuals can make a subject access request verbally or in writing. You have one month to respond to a request. You cannot charge a fee to deal with a request in most circumstances. Gravito on three separate occasions failed to provide the data in response to a subject access request. The request was made after suspicious debits were attempted from a bank account that they had the details of. The response from others associated with Gravito is that bank accounts can be tracked and closed, usually this is in response to people raising serious concerns. Then months later suspicious debits were attempted but refused by the bank. It means either Gravito or those involved with Gravito, did in fact attempt to track and draw from a bank account. Gravito had an opportunity on six counts, three formally, to be transparent about what data they had, but they were non-compliant with all data access requests. Be careful what data you give them, if you complain, there are concerns it might be shared or misused in ways not aligned with Data Protection. The matter has been referred to the Information Commissioners Office that investigates data breaches, data misuse and non-compliance with data access requests.

Never heard of it and you did nothing to properly introduce the readership to the organization in question. Perhaps it is common knowledge in your country but this is America so we're oceans away from the source of your frustration.

We like the U.K. ; we saved you from the Germans twice in 30 years and you gave us The Beatles in return , good.

But Portugal ? Nah.

Gravito Retreat Center Customer Care
Cons
  • Data access issues
  • Concerns around personal data being shared inappropriately
GDPR Data Protection Issues
Preferred solution
Compliance with the GDPR in terms of subject access to data, right of access

Refused to provide Complaints Book, disgusting abuse and mockery from friends to drop complaints

As a retreat leader and host myself I want to write something about Gravito Retreat Centre. The owners were rude to my partner and refused to provide a copy of the online complaints book as required under Portuguese law. We wanted receipts for out stay and disclosures about our bookings as some of their friends tried to malign us a sick, mentally deranged and imagining our visits at Gravito despite there being witnesses and documents to show otherwise. There was also a dispute about payment as during the visit the owner tried to make me pay twice, I paid the first time, but he did not believe so and then asked for payment again. I did not make payment again but the owner believed I never paid at all and held a grudge for some time. When I wanted copies and emails about the bookings made they refused to comply under the provisions of Data Protection and instead tried to imply I was making it up and was a liar. The matter revolved around the concerns around the legality of the workshops they were hosting when we visited, there was{{Redacted}}use in the shamanic workshops but later it transpired they failed to procure the proper permission. When they were presented with the evidence and asked to provide details of the bookings they refused and tried to present a reality where I was a deranged and sick liar. Some of their associates were involved in witness intimidation as a result and had to be injuncted by a Criminal Court. They had the chance to write a simple letter saying we condemn abuse and disgusting mockery of witnesses to Court Proceedings but they were not interested, later evidence was found linking Gravito to the ones involved in the disgusting abuse. The Data Commissioner in the UK forced the organizers to hand over details showing there were bookings there but as yet Gravito have refused to turn over the remaining data. On the surface they may appear friendly but they have ethical issues to attend to, and behind their shop front of yoga retreats, is a shady world of{{redacted}} retreats and involvement in serious abuse of people of good integrity.
Gravito Retreat Center Customer Care
Cons
  • Abuse and mockery from friends
  • Refused to provide complaints book
  • Website does not portray the truth of the fire damage
Disgusting Abuse, Rudness, Data Protection Issues
Let the company propose a solution

Ignoring customer complaint about questionable practises

I did a 3-days-retreat at Gravito Retreat Centre in Pedrógão Grande, Portugal. Miguel Humblet and Shobha Brennan, the owners, collected the money without issuing any receipts and then pretended I did not pay, when in fact, several hundred euro-notes had just been passed to Miguel. There was some other questionable practises that happened during that retreat that I found quite concerning. I brought both of this up with them via email, but did not receive a response to any of my messages. I think therefore that those people's customer service is non-existent, as they have not adressed any of my concerns. As well, their website is filled with glossy pictures of pristine nature all around, but last year, there was a bad fire that destroyed the entire area in a radius of about 20 km. So, they are purposefully misrepresenting what the place is currently looking like.
Pedrógão Grande, Leiria
Gravito Retreat Center Customer Care
Cons
  • Not being replied to in my inqueries
  • Having my money taken with no receipt
  • Getting my concerns ignored
Poor customer service
Let the company propose a solution

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article