Gearbox took money but will not resolve problem

I paid for a subscription to IP Watcher and it worked for a while. It then disappeared and would not allow me to reload it without paying the fees all over again. I have e-mailed support several times and even left messages on his (Paul) voicemail, but after six months of no replies I have to believe this was just a scam in the first place. I will be using another more reputable company for this type of program in the future. I SUGGEST YOU STAY CLEAR OF GEAR BOX COMPUTERS FOR ANY TRANSACTIONS! It's a good thing that the software only cost $9.95, at least I did not lose a large amount.,

Same problem here. Worked for a little while then stopped. Will seek recovery via small claims.

I agree except now you can't contact them at all and the price has jumped to $26.00 and the money is collected by a 3rd party .... now maybe people will understand why so many people pirate software ...

they deserve what they get .... JMHO

View more comments (1)
Mckinney, Texas

Gear Box Computers Is A Scam

I took my my laptop to these guys because, on accident, my brother broke the plastic screen around it. They told me it was a rare model laptop (It was a newer dell laptop I have seen a thousand others with) but they would able to fix it. I was told just be a little careful with it. That was all. They charged me 150 dollars. I got it back at it was very, very shady work. They explained that it was the best they could do and as long as i was careful with it, it would last a long time. Not even 3 months later the casing came completely apart from the piece of tape, I found out, they put on it to hold it together.($150 piece of tape?) I called up and they said to bring it in. My girlfriend dropped it off and they said they would fix it right away. Long story short, I called a week later. Was told they weren't fixing it, they were to busy to call and tell me. Told me I wasn't even supposed to ever shut or open the laptop (never told that) was told the prices of the pieces that should have been replaced(cheaper than what I was charged including with there $59.95 labor charge), and that they were too busy to deal with me. When I tried to talk to him as another person who runs a business and assure him I was not mad and was just trying to find a solution he told me he was getting aggravated. I ask him, "aggravated? Why, just a customer trying to figure out what's going on with his computer" this infuriated him. He started threatening me over the phone and told me to "bring it". Thing is, I was only a few houses away and informed him I would be there in 8 seconds. I walk up. His kid is next door grabbing a guy from the nail salon. I walk up, Paul is hiding in the office, the kid hands me my broken computer (and luckily for me the 150 I paid) and tells me to leave. I ask to speak to Paul, he says he is not there. I figure whatever, atleast got my money back. tell the kid(who works there) this is why everyone has bad posts on the internet about this place and his dad is a chump for talking big on the phone and then hiding. I walk to my car, start to put the computer in and that's when(30 seconds later) the 5'6 140lb. son comes out threatening me and talking trash. So I step back towards the building and he runs back inside and locks the door and continues to threaten me as I laugh at him. I am not one for violence or even much confrontation but you only can be pushed so far. This place is a joke. Save yourself some time and find a more reputable place. This many people complaining can not be wrong.
Cleveland, Ohio
Loss

Stay far far away from gear box computers.

2 months ago I was looking for a used laptop for my son so i vistited gear box on snow. The prices that they charged for older computer equipment was crazy. When you buy a 5 year old computer the chances of having problems with it within 6 months is very high, and a 30 day warranty is not enough. If they were honest people they would offer a 6-12 month warranty right off the bat, but since they know you will need them to fix the computer they dont. I am a honest business man that lives in the Cleveland area, and truly believes that a business that purposely sells a product that sooner than later will need service and will rip off the customer is bad business. Purchasing a used computer is a risky purchase (like purchasing a used car) to do it correctly you must do alot of research to do it right. They r also very dishonest right off the bat by doing the main part of there advertising on craigslist. craigslist is not meant for businesses and gearbox abuses it and refuses to stop. thats shows how dishonest they are right there. When considering purchasing a used computer they best way to handle it in my opinion(and my 10 purchases so far have all been great) is not to buy from a business that is just waiting for the product they ripped you of on to fail, but to purchases from the legit people who are not a business and try to get the best deal. But if you dont want to do the research involved in making a wise decission, then go to gear box and get ripped off. They will be waiting for you with smiles on there faces!

I bought a laptop from them about a year and half ago and it has been working great the only thing it has wrong with it one of the hindges holding the screen had a little crack when I bought it. I did drop it and it cracked a little more but its still runs completely smooth.

I also got a really nasty virus and took it back to them because I could not fix it and I am very very tech savy. I asked him if he could restore it to the way they sold it to me and he said sure. I went to get my haircut stopped back in and it was done and they guy didn't charge me the 25 it was supposed to be.

My mom also brought here laptop in to be fixed because my brother dropped it. Now I had oppened it up to fix it but i did not have the steady hands or the means to fix it, a few of the pins had broke on the board.

He had fixed after a few months. sure it was a few months but he had to order a new peice of a equipment to fix it rather than tell us that we needed to buy a new mother board if we wish to keep it, that was only 50.

Now yea reading all these posts everyone about them makes still makes me uneasy about going there. However I did wish to post my experience there, and it was good so far.

i bought a program from them and after 6 month the registration key stop working, i contact them 25 time with no answer ,that is there kind of service stay away from this company they will still your money

Unless a piece of hardware fails it is not their problem. I needed six PC's and I walked in this store and pointed at the six I wanted.

Without looking at them I knew what work would need to be done. If you want a brand new unit stop being cheap and buy new.

View more comments (2)
Atlanta, Georgia

Avoid Gear Box Computers in BrookPark
Guy is a crook. Sold me a piece of junk Dell D620 Laptop, guaranteed the computer to work fine. Computer failed less than 2 months later, and called to ask him what could be wrong, which is ALL I asked. He told me "Boo hoo, cry me a river." and hung up on me. Didn't answer his phone afterwards at all from my number. Is that the way to treat a customer? He also harasses sellers on craigslist by posting false ads that portray his "competition" and threatens to "get them" on a regular basis. He criticizes legitimate businesses that pay their taxes, but he sells large amounts of computers and doesn't file taxes. He claims the competition is harassing him, when he is the one harassing them. This guy is a crook, and I would not deal with him at all. There are many people I have talked to that have been screwed by him, and he gave them a similar situation. His Location and phone is Gear Box Computers 15535 Snow Road BrookPark Ohio 44142 216-433-**** Avoid him at ALL COSTS unless you want to be screwed out of your hard earned money.

You're right when you said he was a crook! His name is Paul Williams and it is a matter of public record that he did 8 years in Ohio Prisons for dealing drugs. Some things never change!

We bought 2 Dell D620's and 1 Dell D630 in 2011 for business use from Gearbox. No problems so far.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to buy a laptop for my daughter from Gearbox.

My brothers desktop for work crashed and these guys fixed it. I'll bet that whoever wrote the negative comments probably have their own stores and can't compete...I'll be buying from these guys

In response to Lanette (Paul). I mean we all know it's you.

I am not "his competition" trying to smear him. There's not even another computer place around, so Im pretty sure no one is. Myself and the other 100 or so people that he has screwed over, lied to, and threatened have real complaints. I mean this many people can not all be wrong.

If anyone does not believe I am a real customer or have any questions about this crook.

Im easily found. Look at my name and I graduated from Midpark.

Avoid them at all costs. Shady work, will not fix properly, and will threaten you over the phone if you call about it two months later. Well they threaten you until you show up, and then they hide in the back.

I have a problem with software I purchased from gearbox computers I have emailed them 3 times now but no reply ate they a ***

GEAR BOX IS EXCELLENT! I have taken three computers to Paul, the owner to fix and bought a 22 inch monitor from them.

Two of the three computers were fixed without problems. The third had a new issue when I got it back. I took it back to him and he fixed that issue at no charge. One of the computers I brought in for my elderly Mother.

It would have been easiest to just wipe out the computer and reinstall windows, but my Mother did't want to have to start new. Paul spent endless hours trying to fix the issues without wiping it out. My Mother was extremely pleased when she got it back. Despite working on it for many, many hours, Paul still only charged the flat $59.99 fee.

I have dealt with many computer stores over the years, and this store is EXCELLENT! Shame on you people trying to bring down your new competition.

Just because he is the new store in the neighborhood and does excellent work at a much better price. This smear campaign is aweful.

@PissedConsumer291809

I have bad news for you. The tech could have wiped the computer and then restored your grandmother's files and settings instead of "spending hours" fixing it.

This would have left the computer seeming "faster" as it wouldn't be bogged down with all the extra detritus people seem to accumulate in their profiles and it would still feel the same to your grandmother. Additionally, you would have realized that the work put into the job wasn't really worth $60.

@PissedConsumer1024275

That litterlly makes no sense...

Bought item over the internet and never received it. Doesn't answer emails or phone. He's a scammer, plain and simple.

This is a smear job, see for yourself these guys will not rip you off.

View more comments (38)
Cleveland, Ohio
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article