Fun Rentals, Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia

When I was researching on activities to do at Airlie Beach, I came across Fun Rentals website and the Moke looked fun! So, I booked this through email with Sarah and all seemed to be a smooth process. When we checked in to collect the Moke, the owner warned us that this vehicle is 30+ years old and does not have any power steering, just so that we are aware that it doesn’t drive like a normal car. When we completed the initial paperwork, I requested if we could inspect the vehicle for defects and the owner just brushed it off saying it’s a 30+ years old vehicle. When he drove out the car, he also warned us that the brake is not very sensitive, so, we need to make sure that we brake a lot sooner than normal car. When we climbed into the Moke, we noticed a big crack in the front windscreen and took a photo. Then, my partner tried driving the Moke and it was almost impossible to drive as he struggled to change gears, etc. Since he was not comfortable with driving the Moke, we hopped out and the owner came out and said, “That’s why I asked if you know how to drive one”. Then, he said he would give us a normal Jeep Wrangler instead and I asked if there is any additional charge and he said no. We were very grateful for the upgrade but noticed that there were several jeeps parked in front of the shop front and thought, it is likely that he isn’t going to get anymore business as it was the second half of the day. As it was a convertible Jeep, at our last destination during our road trip, and as the sun was setting and it wasn’t too hot anymore, we decided to open the soft top roof which was a manual latch and Velcro. When we stopped that the petrol station to fill up the car before returning it, we tried to latch back the end of the roof but it required a lot of force, so, we decided that we would leave this to the rental company to close it properly. When we returned the car and the owner noticed that we had opened the roof, he was furious! He said that we shouldn’t have opened the roof and I said that we didn’t know that we shouldn’t. He then started yelling and said, “If you don’t know how to do something, you should ask!” He then proceeded to ask me what I do for a living, which really was irrelevant and out of shock, I just automatically replied that I am a Project Manager. He then said, “If your team doesn’t know how to do something, do they ask?” I said, “No, because I hire trade contractors and a plasterer is not going to come and tell me that he doesn’t know how to plaster”. However, whilst I was answering his question, he was just barking over me and talking over me saying, “They don’t ask?! Don’t argue with me!” I really was simply answering his question and not arguing with him! He then said “I’m an Electrical Engineer and has worked on projects over $1 billion and if my team doesn’t know how to do something, they would ask me!” I didn’t counter argue but to be honest, I have worked on singular project over USD3 billion and a program of works over USD21 billion but I didn’t want to argue with him because it’s pointless. At that point, I understood why he is no longer an Electrical Engineer because he wouldn’t know how to work in a team and no one would hire him! I hire consultants for all my projects and I certainly would never hire him. I have owned a convertible car before and had also hired one before and had never had any issue with using the convertible. A convertible is a convertible for one reason, that is, to be able to open the roof! It’s like me telling the tenants of my investment properties that they can’t open the windows! If the windows are defected and the tenants shouldn’t open them, I would state this clearly to the tenants before they rent the place and put a sign at the windows saying “Do Not Open”. If these convertible jeeps cannot be used as a convertible, the owner should put a sticker on the roof frame clearly stating so. I re-checked their website and they even advertised the jeep to have convertible roof with a photo of a woman standing on the car seat through the roof! See http://www.funrentals.com.au/jeep_wrangler.shtml Obviously, the owner continued barking saying, “Do you know that if you break the roof, it costs $7,000? Do you want to pay for that?” I simply replied, “But it’s not broken, right?” The fact is, we have fully comprehensive insurance and the excess was $1,000, so, if we did break the roof, we would be liable for $1,000, not $7,000 which I was aware of. All he responded was, “Don’t argue with me!” and “It’s people like you!” I was thinking, it’s people like us who are your only customers! Of course, I couldn’t be bothered responding and I had only responded when he posed a question and even so, he would just barked over me when I’m trying to answer his questions! He also yelled about how he upgraded us from a Moke to a Jeep Wrangler at no additional cost. We were grateful for his gesture despite knowing that because it was the second half of the day and he still had spare jeeps around and therefore, he would rather have a bit of business than none at all. We then checked the hire rate of the Jeep which is only available for a full day hire and not half day. The full day hire for the jeep was $94 and the moke was $55 for 4 hours, so, in actual fact, it wasn’t too bad a deal for him considering that the jeep would be sitting at the backyard for the rest of the day. We just couldn’t wait to settle our bill and get out of there. Bravo to someone like him who managed to single handedly ruin our holiday. I think because he’s not a local or from Australia, he really has no care factor on the impact of his behaviour and lack of customer service on the tourism industry at Airlie Beach.
ID
South Melbourne, Victoria
Pros
  • Fun vehicles
Cons
  • Customer service
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article