Freight101 is an office of shady incompetents, be very careful

In the event that I had a damaged shipment, I spent months receiving the run-around and finger-pointing about who was responsible. SBT said they weren't the insurer and that the carrier was, but when I called the carrier they said "you aren't our customer, we don't have any insurance agreement with you." Still, for shipment that don't require any real insurance, SBT's prices are competitive. When I would to ship through them, their sales rep Matt Skinner would handle all the paperwork. I stopped using their services, and referred some of my customers directly to Matt Skinner, including a company called GGI Recycling. 14 months later I receive a year-old invoice from them, claiming that I owe them $170 for a shipment I never ordered, a shipment that was ordered by GGI on their own account. I spend 4-5 hours getting this cleared up for them, GGI said "Yes, that is our bill, I have no idea why Matt Skinner billed that to James, send _us_ the bill instead. We've paid all the other bills you've sent us, that bill never got paid because you're sending it to the wrong person/company." ..but instead of sending the bill to GGI, they keep sending it to me, a person who did not order their service, and did not receive their service, when GGI is right there holding up their hand saying, "That's our bill, send it to us so we can pay it!" Their record keeping is clearly luckluster and disorganized. I've asked that they take me out of their system, so as to avoid this happening again. Instead I continue to receive calls from their attorneys. This is a fly-by-night, and they are not a company that can be relied upon to ship anything but scrap metal. Don't give them your debit card, because they do not manage their data responsibly, and you may find yourself insistently being billed for services you've never ordered.
ID
Indianapolis, Indiana

Freight101.com (SBT) is ILLEGAL freight broker

Per the safersys.org site and through a chat on their "live chat", you will see that they are illegally operating as s freight broker. USDOT Number: 764532 MC Number: None- That is for a broker MCS-150 Form Date: 02/01/2005 (You will see they mention being in business for 10 years) ILLEGALLY BROKERING SAFERSYS.ORG page: http://tinyurl.com/5undbx CHAT LOG with Freight101: Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond. Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'gilbert' you: Gilbert, I have a question about a press release in 2005 about your "Freight resources" you: why is there nothing on your site 3 years later in that section? you: you have a DOT number but not a MC number and I am sure you do not have 4 power units and 2 drivers for your site handling freight. you: what is the deal? I do research on companies and please show me how I can feel comfortable using you gilbert: HELLO gilbert: SORRY gilbert: We are brokers and own no equipment you: http://safersys.org/query.asp?searchtype=ANY&query_type=queryCarrierSnapshot&query_param=USDOT&original_query_param=NAME&query_string=764532&original_query_string=SMALL%20BUSINESS%20TRANSPORTATION%20INC gilbert: We work with 50 plus carriers you: That is not waht is listed online you: ok so you are a broker? gilbert: To be techincal "Account Executive" you: huh? gilbert: We put the business owner/shipping department in contact with various carriers to move their product you: do you bill us? you: or does the carrier? gilbert: No we bill the customer. gilbert: We are like an insurance agent that can provide you quotes from various companies gilbert: All the carriers we work with are insured gilbert: both carrier and product you: ok, so you: You bill me but you are NOT marking up the freight? you: I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. gilbert: Yes, we have discounted rates from the carriers, we pass those discounts onto our customers for a fee, which is generaly a lot less than dealing with the carriers directly. We can do this because of the voulme of business we provide the carriers you: You do not need to have an MC number? I though people that get carriers rates, mark them up, sell them and collect money is considered a broker. you: http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&q=http://www.roadway.com/shippers/glossary.html&usg=AFQjCNFPH0LDQsBsrwtLBROuyH-HdX1AFw you: http://www.roadway.com/shippers/glossary.html you: Do you issue a BOL? gilbert: We do have an MC # and you would have direct the more tecnical questions to one of our officers as I am not too familiar on how they set up the business gilbert: Yes we do issue the BOL on the carriers behalf gilbert: We are not liscensed brokers, but to use slang, sales reps gilbert: We have been in business for over 10years and have work with most of the carriers for the same amout of time gilbert: Do you own a business? gilbert: Are you looking for a reliable freight company? you: I own a business but based on those terms you stated, that would be a freight broker. gilbert: OK you: If you are not bonded and something happened with the freight, you are not bonded. This is not a happy feeling you are giving me. Also gilbert: Were you more interested in working directly with the carrier? gilbert: I do believe we are insured, but all the carriers we work with are insured gilbert: Ultimately, they are the ones moving the freight and hold the responsibility you: But how are you skirting the actual law for being a broker but not being licensed? gilbert: We have no contracts, our quotes are real time quotes based on the shippers information gilbert: no hidden suprises gilbert: I did not tell you we were brokers, you did. I told you we are "Account Executives" or salesmen you: what about the "NO Broker" deal? gilbert: and what is that deal? you: you mentioned that you do all the things a freight broker does but by the uUS DOT laws, you are unlicensed to do those things, and by your statement, it seems like that has been happening for 10 years. gilbert: Well, that is what you are saying, it seems you would be best suited to work directly with the carrier itself. Thank you for your time. you: thank you. I see that you will not speak truthfully to me. gilbert: Your welcome, good luck and have a great day, if in the future you choose to use our sevices please feel free to contact us. They do everything a broker does but lie about not being a broker..... DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE DO NOT USE Can someone in the DOT investigate?

SBT is NOT A Broker as their authority was revoked long time ago.

This is very simple. If SBT is invoicing their customers directly for moving freight under approved carriers, he is acting as a broker. And they are operating illegally. As simple as that.

If SBT is selling the services of another Freight Broker, and that other freight broker is the one invoicing the customers, then SBT is acting as an Agent. The broker pays SBT their commission and everything is legal.

The flag here is if SBT invoices the customers directly or if they are selling the services of another broker.

They should be, at this point, acting as an Agent since they have no operating authority to operate as brokers.

In the event that I had a damaged shipment, I spent months receiving the run-around and finger-pointing about who was responsible. SBT said they weren't the insure and that the carrier was, but when I called the carrier they said "you aren't our customer, we don't have any insurance agreement with you."

Still, for shipment that don't require any real insurance, their prices are competitive. I used to ship through them, their sales rep Matt Skinner would handle all the paperwork (part of the value proposition of having a freight broker).

14 months later I receive a year-old invoice from them, claiming that I owe them $170 for a shipment I never ordered, that was ordered by GGI on their own account.

Their record keeping clearly luckluster and disorganized. I've asked that they take me out of their system, so as to avoid this happening again. Instead I continue to receive calls from their attorneys.

This is a fly-by-night, and they are not a company that can be relied upon to ship anything but metal scrap. Don't give them your debit card, because they do not manage their data responsibly, and you may find yourself insistently being billed for services you've never ordered.

First, your chat script shows no evidence of anything illegal. Gilbert is an Account Executive working under a bonded, licensed and insured broker so when he tells you that he is not a broker, he is actually complying with the law and not representing himself as such, he is a sales rep for a broker.

If you read through the script you can clearly see that he was misunderstanding your question.

Second, you never once directly asked for his MC number, I am sure if you had, he would have given it to you as most sales reps have that posted right in front of them since they need it to book loads and sign on with carriers.

Finally, it is only obvious that you are a disgruntled person. I just stumbled on this thread doing a Google search and it is plain as day to me.

You also obviously do not know much about how brokerages work. I am guessing you are a know it all driver.

This is a joke,Freight Broker and FairPricedShipping obviously have no clue what a freight broker really is. If you actually knew what you were talking about then you would understand the analogy Gilbert used.

If it truely is your job to "check" the illegal/legallity of business you need to get a new job.

Anybody who listens to this ignorant fool is just as ***. As you can see their own company won't back them up and calls them childish.

Small Business Transport / Freight 101 is a scam. If they are issueing a BOL and collecting money they're required to have an MC#, unless they're an agent of another company. In that case that are required to disclose the brand they're an agent for.

SBT mc number 316-811 under the Federal Highway Adminstration since 1998. We are bonded by the the Federal Highway Administration. This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

We are a broker and we do have an MC# and are bonded. The person that wrote this is an ***.

He is mad because he got kicked off of uship.com and we are the top broker on their site. If he spent less time trying to badmouth people and more time conducting business, he would be better off.

The post above was not provided by us, we have no issue with freight101, this post was made by Shannon Steede, who feels the need to post his rants under our name. Childish,?

yes, a competitor? well, you decide

Scam, scam, scam. They are illegal and safersys.org proves it.

@PissedConsumer23981

I have a general question..my trucks were dispatched by a company that has a DOT#, and shows they have 20 trucks with no broker license. Come to find out, they have 0 trucks and dispatch for loads from companies like mine.

They have not paid me on 2 loads and he has gotten paid already. In my opinion they're brokering loads illegally because they have 0 trucks and sub out all their work.

Can someone give me an idea how I can get paid? Do I need to sue or can I turn this guy in for illegal freight brokering?

View more comments (9)
ID
Kittery, Maine

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article