Deception in auto sales costs now costs this consumer

Update by user Aug 29, 2018

Since writing this review, and requesting assistance from the Attorney General, Frederick Chevrolet has responded and done well by this consumer! My Chevrolet Malibu was paid off, including a large part of the negative equity and some value added to the purchase back (in other words at a higher than blue/ black book value).

I was sold a 2017 Equinox with very low mileage and at a very low purchase amount including 6 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and gap insurance, plus free oil changes for the life of my warranty. My loan payments are now only slightly above a manageable amount in lieu of the vehicle I am now driving.

The manager, Mr Kessler stated that he may have been very busy the day I called with my objections, and understood the reasons behind my concerns. My confidence and trust have been restored by the fact that this dealership has taken responsibility for the original error in not informing me at the time of the sale of my 2014 Equinox of the negative equity and the fact that this tacks onto every car purchase afterward until paid off.

Original review posted by user Jul 30, 2018
Frederick's Chevrolet, like most self-seeking, inward looking automobile companies today has made a name for itself in my book as just another specious dealer. I received a letter last February 2017 from Frederick's stating that my 2013 Equinox was eligible for an upgrade. I was told that if I upgraded to a 2017 my monthly loan payments would be the same as, or lower than, my current payment. Assuming that this dealer had my payment history as I followed their recommendations previously and could do as promised, I brought my Equinox in and told the manager that I would want to trade up as long as my monthly payments were about the same. Mr. Kessler assured me they would be approximate and I was upgraded to a 2017 model. About 3 weeks later I received my loan information from Members 1st CU and was shocked to discover that the payments were not even in the ball park. My $350 monthly payment went up to $650! I brought the 2017 back to the sales manager George Kessler and demanded that they make this right. I discovered that my 2013 Equinox was sold (or so they said) so I could not just go back to my car, and instead I was offered a 2017 Malibu. Since last February 2017 (1 1/2 years ago now) I've been paying $414 a month for a semi-intermediate car instead of the SUV I'd always owned. The reason for the higher loan amount, as per Mr. Kessler, was that I was carrying what he called 'NEGATIVE CREDIT' on my original loan. However, this negative credit wasn't explained to me when Mr. Kessler was so eager to grab my 2013 for resale. Since I was not told this in February 2017 I'm always behind on my bills trying to keep up with loan payments I cannot make. Frederick's and Mr. Kessler's deceptive words have cost me as I'm now paying more for a car which continues to drop in value. In effect, I'm paying for the Malibu AND the 2013 Equinox! I should have been told this up front especially since this was a term of my upgrading. Frederick's Chevrolet does NOT have the customer's best interest in mind. In the end, they want to buy and sell cars to the exclusion of good customer service. Too bad as they've lost me as a customer.

Since reporting this information concerning this automotive dealer, they have stepped up to correct the mistakes made. The manager, George Kessler and my sales rep Chuck Allwein, traded in the Malibu and replaced it with a 2017 Equinox in excellent condition and low mileage.

They have also adjusted the pricing and rates down to a very manageable level for me, including a 6 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. They have sincerely re-earned my confidence.

ID
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Product
Chevrolet Car
Cons
  • Purposely discarding approximating monthly payment amounts
Reason of review
Lying about monthly loan payment amounts
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article