Flatpacks Unpacked - Kitchen Installation

We bought an IKEA kitchen and the subcontractor was a company called Flatpacks Unpacked. Flatpacks Unpacked operates in the Midlothian and the Lothians and its director is Robert Moore. The level of distress caused by this company has not been comparable to any other building/diy job performed in the house. I had never had any serious complaints or problems during two years of intensive work, until he came to fit the kitchen. When Robert Moore came to do the initial survey on the kitchen, he did seem like a nice, honest guy. How wrong first impressions can be!. He inspected the kitchen plans and said that the pipes would have to be moved from the wall to the ceiling. I didn’t understand the need for it as my wall cabinets were not tall enough to collide with the pipes, but he insisted and eventually got my boyfriend to agree on moving the pipes. The day of the fitting came and he appeared with a huge amount of tools and totally invaded the house: kitchen, living room and corridor were totally occupied by his tools, panels and dirt. The problems started as soon as he arrived. He left after doing very little, just boxing the pipes that we had moved to the ceiling at his request (at a £300 cost). The boxing was enormous and totally unnecessary. Why had we moved the pipes if he had planned to build a huge coffin-like box around them?. I asked him to make the box smaller when I saw the first baton coming in, but he ignored me and went on to finish them. To top that, he had done the boxing with plasterboard that we would have to plaster at an extra cost. He also had draw on the wall the lines marking the cabinets. The wall cabinets were so high that even my very tall boyfriend would have needed a ladder to open the doors. I told him the next day, and he even tried to convince me to leave them as they where. It was starting to become intimidating. I couldn’t apparently choose anything in what was meant to be my kitchen. The problems continued and the time passed without him ever finishing anything. Four days passed and we were aware of some mistakes becoming apparent. The cabinets were badly fitted and not level at all. He would ignore any complaints, and say that it would be perfect when finished. On the fifth day of work, he approached me late in the afternoon to tell me that he had cut the worktop slightly short, but it would look perfect if I tiled the sides of it to cover it up (the ‘slightly short’ cut was about an inch short!). I didn’t want that, so he started trying to convince me to bring the border tiles to show me how nice it would be. It was becoming intimidating and I realised that he actually had the tile adhesive, grout and tiles out ready to do the ‘cover-up’. Fortunately I didn’t have the border tiles at his reach or he would have tiled it without asking. After a long discussion, I asked him to leave for the day, as I had to consult my boyfriend about it. When we refused to accept the worktop he tried to convince us to take the money for another worktop and keep it quiet. Unbelievable. After over a week (the job was meant to take only three days), he finally finished (?) the job and left. The kitchen was just half done, the boxing for the pipes unfinished, not any preparation in the walls prior to tiling, the fridge didn’t fit in its enclosure, the cabinets looked squint and some wouldn’t even shut properly. He broke one of the dishwasher legs, forgot to fit the dishwasher handle, didn’t fit any of the soft-close fixtures, hang a cabinet the wrong way round (and tried to convince us that it must just be a faulty cabinet), the plinths wouldn’t fit without leaving a huge gap. He dind’t fit the oven properly (left it hanging without screws and without the proper fixtures), and he boxed the water mains tap together with the pipes so we cannot access it. We had to wait for weeks to replace the customised worktop and another worker had to come to finish the job and repair all the mistakes, but even then the kitchen doesn’t really look like a nice new kitchen thanks to Robert Moore handywork. The boxing is unfinished, the fridge’s housing is not been properly done, there is a gap between the plinth and the units, there is a couple of screws coming through the inside of the units, and so many other details… Oh, during the fitting of the kitchen we discovered that this was his first kitchen fitting for IKEA, and in his website he claims to have started fitting kitchens only in spring 2007. I can tell you: he cannot fit a kitchen. Beware! Never allow this man into your house. He has even left scuffmarks and dents in the living room walls. He never finishes anything and he will constantly lie to justify his wrongdoings.
ID

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article