Need to find a local representative

Darlene was very helpful! She provided the information I needed and very pleasant to talk with. Thanks
Kansas City, Missouri

Does anyone work in the Guam office?

It's not what happened, it's what's not happening. No return phone calls, extremely difficult to schedule an appointment, no one answers the phone. Drop by the office and no one is there. With high fees being charged and expensive products, I expect better than this.

User's recommendation: avoid or consider another local financial services company.

Dededo Village, Dededo

Same Old False Promises

I severed my connection with this company, they preyed upon my ignorance about financial matters and the market. They purposely use former military members to make their pitches to the troops or FED civilians in order to capitalize on the military's reputation as a trust worthy institution. RUN, don't walk, away from ANYTHING being sold by First Command. I learned the hard way, so hopefully you will not.
Tampa, Florida
Service
First Command Customer Care
Reason of review
Poor customer service

Unprofessional

I signed up with an employee at first command financial services here in Greenville, NC. He was very sociable/likeable but did not give good financial advice. I had to ask him multiple times to stop investing in two IRA's he opened for me to save for a car. His advice was to keep investing in the IRA and take out a car loan. (go into further debt to so he can make money off my IRA investment, yeah, ok). Eventually he listened to me once he figured out I would leave if I didn't start saving for a vehicle. Then, I went into to close out one of the IRA's to put a down payment on a house, since I already lost 8% of my investment in both IRA's. My advisor wasn't there, so I talked to his supervisor who gave me some dumb analogy about how if I invested a dollar and the return was 100% per year, how long would it take me to make a million dollars, He tol me 20 years. WOW, he's amazing, he can manufacture money like the government. My response was "Pete, I lost 8% so far, how is that a 100% gain per year." He said " who is the financial expert in the room." I replied "I am, its my money." He started yelling tole me good luck I was gonna need and all this other BS. Then, my financial adivosor Michael Smith tries to call me a couple times. I texted him back and told him that that business was a sham, and if he could tell me what the top five earning stocks were this last month, I'd come back and invest. He couldn't answer me so he instead tells me I'm a loser, no one cares about my love life, no one can stand me, that I was pathetic. HAHA, yeah. I told him once i'm a millionaire, i'll let him know all about it. Meanwhile they have plaques near their front door that have performance reviews as a professional business, customers first, all that stuff. His profession is financing and he gives the exact opposite in advice. Do NOT invest with first command, they'll *** just to line their own pockets.
#1198608

Your advisor was right. He wanted you to save for retirement instead saving for a car (depreciating asset).

When you retire, your car will be worth much less, but the averages in the market would have grown your IRA.

You were down 8% for a while. The people who get emotional when the account drops and want to cash out always lose.

Don't over react and stay put. The market has always recovered.

I am a First Command client and because of them have saved for my retirement.

First Command Financial continues to support Midland National Life despite the allegations of threats against women.

To learn more about Midland National Life Google "Midland National Life" threat or "Midland National Life" women.

Cashing out an IRA for a car purchase or a home purchase is generally a very bad idea. If it is a traditional IRA not only is there tax due on the withdrawal and any earnings there is also a 10% penalty.

Regarding the statement "I lost 8% so far"...cashing out an IRA or any investment when it is down only locks in the loss. Perhaps, it will rebound 20%??? Who knows?

What I do know is you can't time the market and if you think you can perhaps you shouldn't be investing. All of that aside....First Command still sux!

Any consumer who would set up an IRA for a car is an ***

View more comments (3)
Greenville, North Carolina
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article