FireRock Rumford Fireplace does not put out heat

We spent thousands to have a 48" FireRock Rumford Fireplace installed in our new home. The fireplace DOES NOT PUT OUT HEAT! The fireplace comes in an engineered "kit" form where the blocks are made to fit together. Our mason followed the instruction manual provided perfectly including the EXACT location and height of the chimney. We even had the FireRock company come and inspect our installation and they could not find ANY problems but they wanted to drag out our complaint so -over months-they did do a couple of things. First FireRock sent us a larger grate and told us to prop it up on bricks so it would be 2" to 4" taller. When we used it, burning logs rolled off and out of the fireplace. NOT GOOD. Then FireRock sent us chimney extending blocks. They want us to make the chimney taller AT OUR EXPENSE even though it was built to their exact specifications. When we refused, they stop responding to our emails. We are heartbroken about the fireplace. It is the center of our dream house but its not functional. The FireRock Rumford fireplace we bought is basically a ten thousand dollar anchor. It does not put out heat. AVOID FireRock fireplaces. We should have gone with Superior Clay.
#919359

get a freestanding wood stove and put it inside the fireplace

#619357

I don't know the conditions you are complaining about.I beieve it's draft and heat. If it's not a smoke problem and you are looking for more heat out of a fireplace the key is to be able to choke down the damper. This and many straight back versions of Rumfords cannot be choked or they smoke.The Vrest Orton SLANTED BACK Rumford can.

I have been building them since his book "The Forgotten Art of Building a Good Fireplace" was published around 1968. I have fabricated a damper, that along with proper building enables a 1/30 throat to fireplace opening ratio, which to my knowledge has not been done. I have over 100 hrs of burning so far with this setting, in all types of weather and it's working fine. I have videos and literature at my face book site for Casini Masonry on face book and fcasini25 at You Tube. These are showing burns at 1/20 ratios which is still great and equal to a straight's un-chokeable throat. We will be doing a close up video soon showing the 1/30th ratio with a very small 1-3/4" x 48" damper-ed throat!

Keep in mind that what is being said [their throats are too big, and they are prone to smoke] against Orton style fireplaces is not true...and I welcome all to see for themselves! Meanwhile read the little book Vrest Orton wrote.

View more comments (1)
ID
Rogersville, Alabama
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article