Poor Customer Relations etc.

Fashionable Fireplaces installed a Regency P33 gas fireplace replacing our free-standing gas stove in December 2013. I paid a down payment at the time of contract and at the completion of installation I paid the balance in full. Two service calls to Fashionable Fireplaces for the pilot light going out, each time they cleaned the flame sensor and charged me a service call of $119, which I paid at the time of service. Again this year, the pilot light went out and could not be restarted. I called the manufacturer (Regency Fireplaces) to inquire why this was continually occurring, they said this level of service calls should not be happening. They questioned the installation process. The manufacturer advised I contact one of the other distributors in Rochester, Issac Heating/Cooling or Ace Swim and Leisure. I decided to call Fashionable Fireplaces again letting them know I talked with the manufacturer and requested they come out again to see what is the root cause of this continual problem. The Service person arrived today (September 25, 2015) and again cleaned the flame sensor. I asked why does this continually occur and he blamed the by-products in my natural gas supply as creating the coating on the flame sensor. Handed me an invoice for the service call (It is now $129). My wife had just left to go grocery shopping and had our checkbook with her. I told the service person I would mail in the check when she got home. The service person called John Fox at the office to inform him I would pay by check then handed the phone to me. John Fox called me every name in the book, telling me I was "jerking them around". Great way to treat any customer let alone a good customer. At the recommendation of the service person, I contacted Regency again to ask if they receive complaints about natural gas by-products coating their flame sensors and extinguishing the pilot light. They said this was not possible and asked if the installers used RTV silicone to install the fireplace. The silicone would out-gas and create the objectionable coating onto the flame sensor that I have been experiencing. When my wife returned, I wrote out the $129 check and drove it to Fashionable Fireplaces to pay the service invoice. I asked about the RTV silicone and John Fox denied they use this in their installations. He then ignited a display fireplace in which condensation appeared on the glass which he attributed to moisture in the natural gas supply. Must be he thought I am an *** and did not understand the hot/cold relationship creating condensation on the medium. I handed the check for the service call to John and told him I would never do business with Fashionable Fireplaces again, he said "No problem". If you are looking into purchasing a fireplace, I would advise you to look elsewhere first. If you do choose this company, Buyer Beware. They not only seem very incompetent they try to offer up reasons for failures that defy physics.
ID
Rochester, New York
Cons
  • Customer service
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Fashionable Fireplaces, Rochester NY, has the worst customer service and care

The owners, Jack and Mary Ann Fox, top the list for poor customer service. I am not sure how much of what they have been telling/advising me regarding the woodburning insert I had installed is true. I had to contact the Manufacturer directly, per their advice, to get results. Then, when a new part was shipped to their business without contact from the manufacturer, Mary Ann and Jack both decided to take it out on me. They lied about: 1.) the manufacturer's ability to send parts to my home (they can!) To top it off, Mary Ann tells me "how were they supposed to know what to do with the new parts? If you have the ability to install it, then go ahead." Great service, Mary Ann...so glad you own a business! 2.) the cost of a service call (11/19/10 is was $75, today 12/09/10 after arguing with them both on the phone it became $99.) Last year, when the glass broke in the door of my insert, Mary Ann could not provide me with a better option than to "order it and wait." It was in the single digits that weekend. At this point, the manufacturer is handling the repair because I refuse to let anyone from Fashionable Fireplaces in my home. They are not a reputably company, lack people skills and general tact and manners. I lost count of how many times Jack used "ain't" in his rant to me. Do Not Use This Company!!

We fully agree fireplace fashions has the absolute worst customer service. Jack actually had the audacity to call me a bonehead for not knowing how to connect the wires to the fireplace remote properly.

( which he sold us a piece of junk) a remote that works every other time. I am in disbelief that a businessman could be so unprofessional and disgusting in his interactions with his customers who just spent $2000 for a fireplace with him. It's not too difficult to understand you sold us a fireplace and said you would throw in the remote as well. The remote is not working so wouldn't you think these people would come out and try to help their customers?

Well not without a $250 service charge and being verbally abused by the owner.

I am baffled how a company that has such pitiful customer service has been in business this long. Totally Disgusted.

It's a shame people like these two friends who wrote two negative reviews and tried to scam us, and got caught by their own letters they submitted to the Better Business Bureau and their own charge card companies. The BBB found their claims to be unfounded, their charge card found it to be unfounded also and refused to reimburse them, even though they had consumer protection on their card.

We have documentation that they wrote to prove that they flat out lied. Yes, the manufacturers sent out a rep to their houses and also found them to be untruthful in their statements.

We are still a dealer for the products they bought and are considered a company that is very ethical by them. rember, if you are in business long enough you are going to have people like this that are going to try to scam you.

In this generation the customer is not always right. Anyone can feel free to contact me on these matters.

Jack 585-342-****

I am trying to respond to these fraudulent

reviews and everytime I put in the security code it will not take It

Please call 585-342-**** to help me with this.

If I cannot get any results with this I will hand it over to my attorney.

I had a similar experience. Jack, his wife, and son John all yelled and screamed at me.

John actually said to me "I don't have time for this ***...you can call and reschedule"...when attempting to speak to him re: his attitude/behavior he said "I don't give a rat's *** you can install your motherboard yourself!" as he threw the box containing the motherboard into the truck and sped off! I attempted to discuss this with Jack who also screamed and yelled at me and told me "there's no way we're fixing it before the first of the year, and now you can pay $99 for the service call", though previous calls had been free as part of the warranty, the parts needing replacement are also part of that warranty.

LONG story short...caveat emptor!

Buyer beware! Avoid this merchant at all costs.

@PissedConsumer221640

Another Satisified customer.

I purchased a fireplace that they installed and my experience with Fashionable Fireplace was stellar. Over the past 20 yrs i have had 2 woodstoves installed by 2 different fireplace shops, both of these were disasters. (both still in business)(ugh !)

This time i went to a different dealer (fashionable Fireplace). This was an extensive install,

there were a few "bumps in the road", but they handled it like the Pros they are. I especially like the "family business" aspect of this company. Before you buy your fireplace, make sure you check out Fashionable Fireplace, Beautiful newly remodeled showroom. Their showroom is a little hard to find, Up north near the lake, building sets back several hundred feet from the road.

"great people "

View more comments (4)
ID
Rochester, New York

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article