Selling sick kittens

Update by user Jul 20, 2012

I have since been able to contact Karin and she assures me that the pair she bred that produced the male I received is no longer being bred, as the female has been spayed. She also assured me that with the medical records I sent she would make sure the male does not have genetic heart issues.

I am grateful she has chosen to address the issue. I hope all future litters are healthy.

Original review posted by user Jul 20, 2012
I purchased a 12 week old kitten in January of this year. I had to euthenize him yesterday July 19th. He was only 9 months old. He had a congenital heart defect which brought on cardiomyopothy and fluid build up around his heart. This occured over a very short period of time and I saw this small kitten go through something no one should ever have to witness. This death was because of poor breeding practices. Karin says she is CFA associated. If so, this gives the whole organization a very BAD name. She should NOT be allowed to breed and sell sick animals EVER AGAIN! DO NOT get your next pet from her or you risk not seeing them live very long. I just can't believe how sad and angry this makes me. He was such a wonderful kitten and gave me so much joy even if it was only for a very short while. I will miss him deeply.
ID
Denver, Colorado

Karin Tivoli of Fabulous Persian Cattery Fails to Return Deposit

Karin Tivoli, owner of an unlicensed cattery in El Paso County, Colorado Springs, CO named Fabulous persians. Claims to uphold Cat Fancier Association but has no champions or grand champions of her line, or participates in show. She gives her Kittens away before that are 3-4 months of age, and has admitted to having refunded buyers there money due to "serious" problems that have arised. My suspicion due to giving her kittens away too early. Upon asking to wait until 4 months of age to purchase and take home, I was told that she was not able to care for her kittens for 2 more weeks due to her own personal appointments, and that her cats would be in the care of someone else, however, they were not able to take care of kittens only adults. Upon further thought, she then came back to me saying she would make arrangements to pick up from the same caretaker - who magically could handle the care of a kitten under 3 months of age. I found her ad on ebay classifieds and hoobly.com. I was told to give a deposit for a cat, which then later was not available, and had to choose another cat. I never signed a document, or was ever disclosed that the deposit was non-refundable. After having put doubt in my head about proper care and handling of her kittens, I declined the sale. However, she refused to give back my deposit. She is a thief because she refuses to give me my money back for a cat i did not put the deposit down for in the first place, she is also a liar by having never disclosed her policies until after the fact. Bad business woman, bad cat fancier, and should not be trusted, or purchase from. She does not follow industry standards and is a novice breeder with refusal to learn proper practices. Buyer Beware!

I picked up a silver shaded kitten from Karin in August. Love the cat but I am a little disappointed in Karin.

Her ad stated that she had a few males left. She affirmed this when we exchanged emails. However, when I arrived to pick up my kitten, she already had him waiting in the living room. When I asked her about the other males, she said this was the last one.

I didn't really question Karin as much as I should have. A few days later, being the curious person that I am, I went back online to her ad and to my surprise she had posted more recent ads advertising more male kittens and another female. Hmmm....I thought my kitten was the last one???? I didn't call her or anything to complain.

I figured I already had my kitten at home and there was no point to argue. However, I was a little upset that Karin didn't let me choose my kitten and that she took it upon herself to select what kitten I was getting. A week later I found out why she did this. I had to take my kitten to my Vet with a severe Upper Respiratory Infection.

My guess is she gave me the sick one so it wouldn't get the rest of the litter sick. My kitten is perfectly healthy now. He has a good appetite and seems like he will be a big boy. One thing I do have to admit is that Karin's Persians have an extreeeeemely calm temperament and purr like there is no tomorrow.

They are well socialized and my kitten has even been handled by a friend's 2yr old without any issues. I am not sure how legit Karin's breeding is but like another person commented....if you're really looking for the perfect Persian from a reputable cattery then you're looking at over $1,000 for one. I paid $250 so you get what you pay for. I have not had my kitten tested for Feline Leukemia but I am hoping that Karin was being truthful when she says that all her litters have tested negative.

I have another cat that is 4yrs old. After reading this thread, I plan on getting both my cats tested. If any of them test positive, I too plan on bringing suit against Mrs. Tivoli.

I have saved all our email exchanges and took a screen shot of all the ads where she claims that they have all tested negative and where she offers a one year guarantee.

She cannot tell people that a FeLV test voids the health guarantee since there is nothing in writing except what she puts in her ads which makes no mention of any stipulations when it comes to that same health guarantee. You get what you pay for with this lady and so far I've been lucky with my new Persian.

Hi Karin,I left you a mesg,The kitten does have Coccidia the vet came and took a stool sample yesterday he has to be put on antibiotics for 10 days and your other cats need to be treated. he has had diarrhea since the 9th we thought it was due to stress it was not incubation period is 10 to 14 days before symptoms appear you can have a copy of vet report.He is going to be tested for feline leukemia and feline aids on the 25th when due for second shots.Your site says your cats were tested for that??

So were hoping that is the case and he doesnt have those.Can you please call me.....

YOU need to be HONSET and he also had GIARDIA and you were ALSO OFFERED VET RECORDS WHICH YOU REFUSED!!!!!! WE ARE IN THE PROCESS AND TAKING ACTION AGAINST YOU MY DEAR AND FOR WITH HOLDING PAPERS YOU ARE ONE DISHONEST SHADY BREEDER I SHOULD SAY BACK YARD BREEDER YOU WERE ALSO AWARE HE HAD DIARRHEA YOU SAID STRESS UMM OK THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE WE GOT HIM ON THE 7TH AND WHEN IT WASNT CLEARING VET CHECKED HIM AND AS STATED ABOVE BY PHONE MESG AND EMAIL YOU ARE VERY AWARE DONT BE PLAYING GAMES WITH US

@PissedConsumer717720

I don't see why I should call you you badly insulting me has a big problem with an ger go to anger management. I showed my Vet your email and she was shaking her head what kind of person are you.

I c an prove that I talk to my Vet right after I hung up the phone and you call me a liar. I have no reason to call you you are the one who is not honest and nick pick around because you wont get teh registration who know that he is neutered you have more as 1 pet you can give any name to your Vet and and get your other one neutered. I told I will have nothing to do with you because of your liar and false rumors you send round. I do not discus my private live on the internet but I must say these you only gotten the Boy because your husband bounded with him he is a wonderful men.

Other wise I would never ever sold the these nice little boy because I could see that you are trouble and nothing but trouble.

I have more to do as being on the internet and get insulted about you. You one crazy Lady I don't know to call you Lady because you not being one.

#720174
@PissedConsumer718863

Brenda

8/6/09

to Jaime

Hi, Jaime-

YOU CANNOT GO WRONG HERE!!!! Our little boy that we received from Karin is simply going to break some hearts when and if he ever has to go kitty heaven in the sky! We love this adorable little loverboy! Beautiful? TOP OF THE LINE! Sometimes I just look at him and wish I could look that beautiful!!!! Honestly, leave it to a male not to even have to try........ his coat is lucious and eyes big and dreamy!!! He is perfectly proportioned, Lord knows you don't see me saying that about myself! Healthy? This little charmer has the most healthy appetite, grooming, bowels, and behavior I have ever seen in any cat I have EVER had! In my vets own words, "Brenda, this cat is absolutely amazing!" He liked it there, too! All his records were current he's a very happy feline. Attentive? He learned his name the first week we had him and actually came when I used it. He also loved to be held and petted and even purred upon simply talking to him! He is very curious and playful and follows me about the house to be in which ever room I am in (sign of a persian who loves their human). This little boy has not even been 'fixed' yet, and he is already such a lover it amazes me......males are usually even more cuddly after they are 'altered'. He often falls asleep in the crook of my arm lying on his back while I rub his neck and chest (another position that demonstrates a cat who loves his humans if he is willing to be this submissive.) I have had him for not quite 2 months, and he still hasn't even required a bathing (of course, I do not let him outdoors). He is even tempered with his grooming requirements and LOVES treats! We are all very attached and this little boy compliments us perfectly and hopefully - for a very, very long time! My twin 8 yr olds argue over who Elvis (the name we chose) prefers..........I quite simply remind them that of course it is me, the goddess of kitty food!!

Karin is why Elvis is who he is! She assuredly gives him what he needs and then much more! She had socialized him by 8 weeks of age and that's why he is agreeable to let us then continue doing so. This is not a shy or 'skittish' cat with any emotional problems what so ever. He has not been subjected to any aggressive behavior and therefore is not aggressive nor negatively responsive. I think Karin actually stays at home with her cats and is with them often. They are not left in cages and are not afraid of adventure or people. She is very kind, educated in the field, and cares where her cats are placed and how they are raised. She's extremely easy to do business with and very trusting. My children have wanted to return to visit her ever since we met with her! I stay in contact with her and send photos and information that assures her of Elvis' adoptive family choice and his well-being. I intend to have this cat a good many years, and expect to know Karin an equal amount of time. Please let me know if you should have any further questions or need more help, I'd be delighted to offer it.

Best of luck with your decision, truly. I don't think Karin realizes she has such perfect little darlings, she offers a more than fair price and could easily ask more! Fabulous Persians and furry balls of joy!!

Elvis' mom,

If you want a healthy loving very sociable Persian,I would suggest going to Amerikitties Persians,She shows her cats and cares about the breed and you can tell that she puts alot of time into her babies,After My hubby made the mistake going to Karin who sells SICK KITTENS!!! we got another one from Amerikitties and there is a huge differnce We love our persian we got from Karin who should NOT be breeding!!! and he is in a good home but let me tell you we have gone through *** he has been really really sick and it has cost us a TON of money...so save yourself heartache and worry reserach who your buying from!!

@PissedConsumer707194

When you bought the Kitty for 280$ he was healthy.

Here is what you wrote to me.

Jul 8

to me

Hi This is Melanie and we got a male kitten from you yesterday,I am just emailing you to let you know he is doing great =) we gave him a bath and he did wonderful!! he also did wonderful with the hair dryer and brushing,He is very loving and pushes his face into our's and very huggy.We are very happy with him,Our Vet will be coming over tomorrow to check him out =) we will let you know how that goes.I think he misses his litter mates he did cry alot last night and we just kept picking him up and putting him in our bed with us =) Thank you very much we really love him!

Jul 8

to me

Thank you here is a pic of him snozzing on the bed =) he is not to fond of the dog's but we are taking it real slow and are hopeful he will come to like them lol,Thank you again

Jul 9

to me

Hi Karin,The vet seen him today he is in good health,he weigh's 2.2 pounds she dewormed him and clipped his nails he was very good =) even when she took his temp lol Thank you very much again we love him dearly after his last vac which will be in Aug we will be neutering him.Have a good day

Amerikitties

Posted :Saturday, July 13, 2013by clt Send Maill Tell a Friend

Crazy Breeder in CO Springs

Please do not buy a cat from this breeder. She is the rudest, most unprofessional breeder that I have ever been in contact with. I have 2 persian cats already and was looking for another. I called her and she was extremely short with me on the phone, gave me no information on the cat. Then tells me that she may keep her to breed. Well, then why is she listed on your website as available?! She was listed for $600 and she told me $800 on the phone. Which is it? Tells me to bring cash only. I just wasn't comfortable with her whatsoever, so I cancelled our appointment.

She then calls me on the phone telling me to get myself together and to never call her again. THIS IS THE WAY YOU RUN A BUSINESS?! NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BREEDER - SHE IS A SCAM AND A JOKE!!

@PissedConsumer707194

Lou Ankeney Amerikitties CO 1. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BREEDER - SHE IS A SCAM AND A JOKE!! 7-13-13

#720635

Amerikitties

Posted :Saturday, July 13, 2013by clt Send Maill Tell a Friend

Crazy Breeder in CO Springs

We bought a kitten from her July 7th this year,He was a little under weight and had coccidia!! We will be getting him tested for FELV,FIV,PKD as she has said she has had that done on all her breeding cat's,Along with all the ad's she has If our kitten comes out positive we will be taking it to court,As that would be false advertising and lieing...It will become a big deal if she was dishonest with us..However he is in a very good home now where he is being very well cared for

View more comments (22)
ID
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article