They cheated me and many other TEFL teachers

ESLinsider - They cheated me and many other TEFL teachers
They baited and switched me on a job placement in 2017. The owner Ian said I could get a full-time job that paid $3,800 a month with a free furnished apartment with air-fare reimbursement if I completed his TEFL course ($599 at the time) and a fake diploma from him for another $500 which I negotiated down to $300. Since I would be making $3,800 AFTER TAXES it sounded like a great deal. After I paid him all the money and bought my $1,200 plane ticket to Shanghai (non-refundable) Ian called me the day before I left and told me to change my ticket to Beijing and take a train to Tianjin because he said the Shanghai job would not be available for another semester. I had to pay an extra $50 to change my ticket and then took the bullet train to Tianjin for another $30. I found this dumpy school and the Principal took me for dinner and asked to hold my passport so she could register me with the local police AFTER I FIND MYSELF and apartment! I called Ian and he said the freebie apartment came with the Shanghai job, not the Tianjin job! So I found a one bedroom furnished apartment for $500 a month but I had to pay first, last, and security in advance and also deposits on the water, gas, electric and internet. In all it cost me $2,700 to move in. The job was easy and then came payday after six weeks. In China they pay you for the work you did last month on the 15th of the new month. I was expecting the $3,800 and was paid the equivalent of $1,800 and was given all sorts of *** reasons why I didn't get the $3,800 promised to me by Ian and my contract!. She told me Chinese taxes were 25% of my pay and until my six months probation period was over I would be getting the same 12,000 rmb every month. I told her I quit and I planned to go to see the Great Wall and then just home and get a refund from Ian. That old bag Principal would not give me back my passport until I either completed my contract or found her a replacement foreign teacher since the parents of my 27 students would be furious. She told me to work it out with Ian. Ian told me I had to work it out with the *** I decided to "work it out" with the police. Big mistake. After the cops came (one actually spoke a little bit of English) I told them the whole story. They asked the woman to give them my passport. I thought they were going to return it to me. Instead, they asked me how many classes I had taught and so I told them the truth. They said I should go with them to the police station so they could write a report and officially return my passport. We got to the cop shop and the cops told me I was under arrest for working illegally without a work permit. They took my photo, put me in cuffs, and took all the money out of my wallet and said that I was paying the fine. I was waiting to see a judge to tell him or her about this horrible mistake. After all Ian got the Shanghai school to send me an invitation letter and was told the F visa was okay for 90 days and then it would be extends for another 90 days. Guess what. I never saw any judge, was not allowed to call a lawyer and was taken directly to a jail way out in the boonies where I met about 60 other foreigners with similar problems, including two guys that had also used Ian and were offered the very same $3,800 job in Shanghai that came with 10% pay raises every six months!!! When I arrived home after 32 days in that Chinese jail, I called Ian and demanded a refund. He had the ball to tell me "I am not going to refund money to someone who insulted the Principal" and hung up on me. Need I say more?

User's recommendation: Hang up the phone if ESLinsider call you!

ID
Bragadiru, Ilfov

Verified Reviewer

Online defamation

Update by user Jul 30, 2020

Since contacting Ian Leahy to request that he stop attacking TEFL Online Pro (i.e. to stop attacking his business competition) he has simply continued publishing false information about us online.This week, we did become aware that Ian Leahy is wanted in China for documents fraud.Trusted TEFL Reviews (who Ian has also been attacking) published an article in which it comes to light that some North American teachers have been arrested, in China, directly because of the advise of Ian that they buy a fake diploma on the blackmarket if they haven't completed college.Here is that information:https://trustedteflreviews.com/2020/07/29/tefl-tesol-in-japan-scam/

Original review posted by user Jul 29, 2020
Dear readers, We have spent the past few weeks contemplating whether we should submit a formal complaint regarding ESLinsider, one of our business competitors, but due to the relentless online attacks by this company - specifically by its owner, Ian Leahy - we thought it only fair that the public should hear our side of the story too. The online attacks began back in the summer of 2019 - just after we (TEFL Online Pro - www.teflonlinepro.com) won the Teachers' Choice Award. A few Reddit posts popped up, claiming that we are a fake company, and we also noticed a few strange posts appearing on Quora - all following the same theme that we are a fake/fraud of a company. It was just recently that we discovered just who has been writing the (damaging) online material. The material was written by two of our business competitors: MyTEFL and ESLinsider. However, ESLinsider appears to be the more aggressive of the two. When we called ESLinsider out for online defamation, a couple of weeks ago, Ian Leahy went into online defamation overdrive. He has since flooded Reddit and published a couple of videos, together with a blog post on his school website - all claiming that TEFL Online Pro is a fake company. This, btw, isn't the first time that Ian Leahy has attacked his business competition. Pick any Online TEFL/TESOL certification program and Ian will have written some sort of trash about it - either on Reddit/Quora, on his YouTube channel, or on his school blog (http://www.eslinsider.com/blog). It's ironic that Ian Leahy tries to forge an image of himself of the altruistic individual, because his company has its fair share of online complaints. Some examples of these: https://chinascampatrol.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/warning-fake-diplomas-to-get-3000-china-foreign-esl-tefl-teachers-arrested-great-job-eslinsider/ https://trustedteflreviews.com/2020/07/24/is-eslinsider-legit/ https://tefl-online-pro-reviews.com/2020/07/27/eslinsider-reviews-and-tefl-online-pro-reviews-online-defamation/ (the third website listed was created by us in order to be able to defend our company against such baseless online attacks.) We have begun legal action against Ian Leahy and ESLinsider, and we hope that other Online TEFL schools who might be reading this - who have also been the target of Ian Leahy's online defamation - will also act accordingly. Kind regards, Paul Murphy Operations Manager info@***.com https://teflonlinepro.com/ https://www.facebook.com/pg/teflonlinepro/reviews/ Teachers' Choice Award winner, 2019 | 2020

User's recommendation: Avoid doing business with ESLinsider / Ian Leahy.

#1903082

Ian Leahy. We are not silly.

We saw how you created a complaints board complaint, which began this whole affair. And we also see how you prefer to fake reviews on your school website.

You are an embarrassment to the Online TEFL/TESOL industry. Please, have a rethink of how you conduct your business and how you win new customers.

ID
#2086142 Review #2086142 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Pros
  • Ian writes trash on all his business competition
Cons
  • Online harassment
  • We now understand that ian is wanted in china for fraud
  • Publishing of misleading information
Loss
Preferred solution
Stop the online defamation

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article