RUDE RUDE RUDE student loan debt collector

Student Loan Debt Collection Agency recently called me. After refusing to tell me who she was/worked for until after I verified my social security number. The collector threatened me in two ways; she threatened to call my job and take me to court. However- they do not know where I work. They are not legally allowed to contact my employer. After I informed her she should check her statutes on contacting, and threatening individuals and proper collection techniques she became increasingly rude, informed me that I appeared to know everything and hung up on me. Their telephone number is as follows: 704-631-****.

That is true. Debt Collectors are never nice.

They wouldn't keep their jobs if they were anything other than aggressive and harsh. With student loans, they can definitely get your tax refunds and garnish your wages, as the previous poster pointed out.

Also, if you were to win any kind of lottery, you would have to pay the student loan off first before you would actually get any money for yourself. Lottery winners often find that out the hard way.

Fair warning: they ARE allowed to garnish your wages and take your tax refund without going to court. Special rules for student loans, and you cannot discharge them in bankruptcy.

You had better contact them to try to work out something. I have never heard of collection agencies being other than rude -- what do you expect?

View more comments (1)
ID
Asheville, North Carolina

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article