2004 VW Beetle ignition cylinder lock had been an ongoing problem. . .

My husband and me have been the proud owners of three new Volkswagen cars. We have always had our cars maintained only by the Donaldson Volkswagen dealership in Sayville, NY. Ever since I have owned my 2004 VW Beetle, I have noticed that the ignition cylinder lock. I verbally mentioned this several times to the Donaldson's Technicians and was told VW Beetle had been made this way and I was informed to wiggle the steering wheel and place my foot on the brake. I never check out this information given to me by the technicians. My beetle is now over 88,000 miles and without an extensive warranty. On 7/18/16 my car broke down and locked. My car had to be towed to the Donaldson dealership. I explained to technician this was an ongoing problems throughout the years that I owned the VW Beetle. I had to fix the car. The Donaldson Technician wrote: Found steering column locked mechanically faulty causing damage to ignition lock cylinder, removed and replaced ignition lock cylinder, removed and replaced steering column lock. This cost was $532.30 to repair. I asked the technician again if anything could be done with the cost of the repairs since this was an ongoing problem with the ignition lock cylinder. Technician replied, "no, your warranty has expired and the car is over 88,000 miles. The technician gave me the VW Cares telephone number but I received the same comment from Improvement Customer Service person Martin M. as well as their team leader MaryJo F who made the final decision. Both of them would not give me their last names. I learned two lessons from this experience. 1) I am not a value customer at VW Donaldson in Sayville, NY. 2) Always check out an ongoing problem with your car and find out if this problem is on going with other VW 2004 Beetles. Consumers Report states, there were problems with the ignition on this year's model of the 2004 Beetle. My husband and me were going to purchase two more VW cars but we learned our lesson from this experience.
ID
Sayville, New York
Service
Donaldsons Volkswagen Car Repair
Cons
  • Ongoing problem with ignition cylinder problem not be resolved
Reason of review
Ongoing problem with the ignition cylinde lock and now had to pay to correct this problem.
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article