Direct Energy Water heater bill way too high

I moved into my house in my house in May 2012 and assumed a $35 water heater rental bill within my gas bill. In January of 2013, the water heater broke and I called direct energy who came to replace the unit with a more "energy efficient" one. After the installation was finished, i was given a paper to sign saying that the installation guys had come and that my new unit rental was $49.99. I was a little taken aback by the $15 upgrade a month but I was freezing and wanted hot water. Now fast forward to August 2014. I have been paying $50 a month and this year it went up to $52/month. I am approached by some companies as well as neighbours who tell me they pay less. I call Direct energy who not only refuses to lower their price but also tells me that that paper I signed with the installation guys was a new contract for 16 years!!! No one communicated to me that this was a new contract! I am not allowed to get out of the contract either unless I pay $4200 for the tank (apparently new it was $5200). Is there any rule, or loophole to avoid this? I would appreciate any help!
ID
#519758 Review #519758 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Newmarket, Ontario
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article